News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

morfing a 58 custom into a 57 custom 300

Started by 57 imposter, 2011-11-24 13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I just realized something in that pic you posted. When you were having trouble with the windshield install, was it the headliner that was creating the issue? The way you have the headliner pulled around to the outside of the flange I do not believe is correct. That is exactly the way it is suppose to be done on the back window as there is no tack strip back there, but the front does have a strip, although after 55 years it's kinda useless because it has hardened. I stapled and used a hot glue gun in that area, trimming the fabic off on the inside. I suspect that is going to make it harder to get the rubber seal to fit and seal. Everything I saw in regards to the install showed the headliner fastened and trimmed inside on the front glass. Hopefully some of the members will verify what I just told you.
On the other hand it works in the back, so why not in the front.
BTW, I love that upholstery. It is going to look awesome installed. Always wanted a yellow car. What is that seat?
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

My Edsel had the head liner wrapped over the lip on the front and rear, on the Ranchero it was just fastened to the tack strip.  Not sure which way is the correct way.  Ranchero was a SanDiego car and the Edsel came off the Ford line in Louisville......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57 imposter

I believe you are correct on the front headliner, however few if anything items of the headliner install are correct. I was afraid to trim back the material from the lip because I don't know if anything else is holding it in. The rear went over the upper lip with no problems so I am hoping the front will do the same. Will get some sealer in there just to make sure. Again, thats one reason it is sitting in a shop where experts can deal with it. The seats are from an HHR.  they will fit right in with my G.M. mirrors

RICH MUISE

That's funny. My paint color is from an HHR, btw.

57 imposter

I have been having big issues with getting the engine to start. Finally figured out it was a fuel delivery problem. I drained the gas when I started the project but knew there had been fuel in the filter all this time so I thought it may have gummed things up.While changing that, I decided to pull the pump out of the tank just to have a look. What I found was the pressure hose from the pump to the outlet fitting was in very bad shape. I was surprised since I had made sure and used E-85 safe hose. Went to my local parts expert to discus my problem and learned that there is E-85 hose and then there is E-85 submersible hose. I may be the only guy on the planet that didn't know that. I bought and installed the hose and the car started and ran just like the old days. I am still getting a check engine light but now that I can move the car around, we will be able to get it to a guy that can figure it out. I am going to try and get it into the upholstery shop today to get the carpet made and the door and quarter panels installed. I am kinda racing a guy with a 40 Buick Sedan  and if he gets there before I do, I'm screwed for quite a while as my upholsterer can only do one car at a time.   

RICH MUISE

I've got some issues with my check engine light...not sure exactly what it is, but I need to get anything that may affect it completed (exhaust) before I fine tune out the problems. My code is OBDI...I think it's gonna get expensive finding a reader...289. @ O'reilly's so far.
Doug...I forgot what your engine/drivetrain are. I guess I was a little surprised when you said "the check engine light"

gasman826

Actron CP9185 scanner on AMAZON for $124.95.  Does OBDII and optional OBDI if you buy the optional cable for your vehicle.  I've used for awhile.  Does the job considering the price.  Not a SNAP-ON but it's not $3000.00

57 imposter

I have a 5.0L H.O. with an AOD. I had been running a modified stock harness, but with the new long block I put in I thought I would upgrade the harness. I installed a Detail Zone Telovec harness. I eliminated the EGR and installed the EGR eliminater from them. The problem I have is what you should expect running without the EGR so its possible the eliminater they sent me may be defective. The computer will not self check and we hooked up an older Snap On scanner that could get nothing, and I mean, 0 out of the computer. The guy I will take it to has the latest of everything plus a wealth of knowledge on these engines. Hopefully he will find something. It did run just fine out to the upholstery shop so I don't think it's anything too serious.

RICH MUISE

Yeah, same with mine...running, but with codes. Mine are all related to air intake/egr/etc. about 8 or 9 codes, but could all be one thing. The check engine light doesn't come on until the car has been run for a while. I think one code said something about innsufficiuent air flow. Good luck, I need to find someone here that knows these engines, eventually.

RICH MUISE

Well Doug...I'm anxious to hear how thw the windshield install went, and if you were able to drive it home from the glass shop to test the front end alignment. I hear it's been wet up your way, so hopefully no problems there!

57 imposter

There is a reason they call them professionals! I took it out on Thursday afternoon and they called me Monday morning to come get it. I asked him if it was a fight and he said "no, it pretty much went right in." The guys that know how to do this type of glass install are getting a little scarce. Glad we still have a couple around here. Didn't drive it home because it was coming down in buckets so just used the roll back again. I did drive it out to the upholstery shop for carpet install. Didn't get on the freeway but it seemed to do ok, also still needs to go to the front end shop. Was mocking up the dash board and realized that it really looked like crap. lots of sanding marks under the paint and other body work flaws. I was going to get really upset with the guy that painted it until I remembered, It was me. I called my painter and asked him to take the thing and make it look like I didn't do it. When I get it and the car back, it can go in and work any bugs out and the car will be pretty much done. Been a long road.

RICH MUISE

Good news on the windshield and the alignment.
Don't ya hate it when something doesn't turn out as you expected...most would just chaulk it up in the "good enough" column..glad you're having your painter redo the dash...you'll be much happier. Kinda hard to ignore something like that when you're looking at it everytime you drive.

57 imposter

Got the car back from the upholstery shop so I guess it is time for the final thrash. Hope today to get the door and quarter panels out and vapor barriers installed and the rear seat belts mounted. Then I can start at the package tray and work my way forward with final assembly. I'm really ready to be done with this one but am already having those dreaded "whats next" thoughts. God forbid another car! With any kind of luck, This thing could Be ready for the road by next weekend. On a side note. Yesterday I went to the shop where we did my tail light conversion and helped the owner start to install after marked fuel injection on his 57 Pontiac. He put the Fast throttle body on a 472 Cad. He has never been able to get that to work just the was he wants it to. He is using one from a company called FITECH. It is a very impressive system and you can find them on line. I would encourage anyone thing about fuel infection to at least look at this system. More on it later in the Tech thread when we get further along.

57 imposter

Finally got the GM mirrors installed and working, thanks to Riches measurements. I'm down to nagging small issues now like the lost retaining nut for the headlight switch and being one foot short of being able to complete plumbing up my A/C dash vents. Have hose coming from Summit and found a headlight switch at Autozone for $5.00 That will work fine since all I am running with it are relays. Since we are planning to head south in March, I am going to have the tires sipped just in case we run into some weather. I am really beginning to thing I can see the finish line, Just hope it doesnt turn out to be a brick wall.

RICH MUISE

Looking great Doug....really pulling together nicely. Glad you were able to get the mirrors working. I guess I lucked out...I was looking more at where they needed to be to clear the wing window when opened...not sure I ever looked to see if I could adjust them for actual use...just assumed I'd be able to, lol.
Still planning on driving the car to Phoenix...that's awesome. Can't remember if I mentioned it, but my wife decided to change our usually-in-March trip to Feb. so we'd be there for her aunt on the 1st anniversary of Uncle Jack's passing, so I won't be able to meet up with you at the Pavillions again.
Get your camera ready for that trip...we want to see pics ALL THE WAY!!! We can start a new thread here with our cars on trips!