News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bob's 57 AGIN is back to the shop (Santini's)

Started by 57AGIN, 2015-02-17 14:56

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Guys:

Not a whole lot to report, other than the passenger side trim is now painted.Here are a couple of more photos of the side trim paint being applied.  I can hardly wait until all the tape and masking comes off, the trim gets color sanded and the paint is finally buffed out.  You just can't tell a whole lot about how the car will really look until it gets unwrapped and finished.  Anyway, progress is being made and the end may be just a little closer.

Bob
57 AGIN

clusterbuster

She is coming along slow but sure. Looking at the brake master cylinder, what kind of braking system do you have?

57AGIN

James:

Both Rick and I have the ABS Electric Hydraulic barking systems.  These systems eliminate the need for vacuum powered brakes, which is a godsend for performance cars whose engines don't develop very much vacuum. I've attached a few photos of the master cylinder, the Line lock, and the electric hydraulic booster pump.  Rick's electric hydraulic booster pump is frame mounted directly below his master cylinder, mine is mounted directly onto the frame under the driver's seat.  Hope this helps.

Bob
57 AGIN

clusterbuster

Thanks for the good pictures. Looks like a good set up. I assume you had that set up when you had the accident.

57AGIN

Guys:

Here are the latest photos from Santini's shop.  On the driver side the masking paper and tape have been removed.  The next photo is showing the passenger side, but  the tape and masking paper have only been removed from the bottom. Pete has cleared both side trim panels and the trim areas are ready for color sanding and then the car will be ready for buffing.  As I was hoping the design inside the trim area will end up very subtle.  One of the main differences with what Pete did with the trim area this time aside from the fingerprint design is that he used medium size metal flake instead of the fine size he used last time and he didn't use the light turquoise at the very front.  It will be interesting to see the overall effect with the car buffed out and all the stainless side trim back on the car.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

James:

Yes, this setup was on the car at the time of the accident.  After thinking the whole accident through.  If I would have had a quicker reaction time or better brakes (6 piston Brembo's, etc.) I still probably wouldn't have had time to avoid hitting the 370Z sporty car in front of me AND if I had avoided hitting the Z car, the Chevy that ran into me would have hit me much harder.  This could have resulted with more severe injuries to me as well as the Chevy's driver and his wife and child.  The lighter damage to the front end possibly could have been offset by more rear end damage and a possible gas tank rupture, which could have really spoiled everyones day.

Will I drive more defensively?  Yes!!! Will I still take my car out on the California freeways?  Yes!!!  I guess I'm just too old to mend my ways and I like driving my cars too much to just have them sit in the garage in hopes they won't get hurt.

Bob
57 AGIN

clusterbuster

Yes we are too old to mend our ways, as I am the same age as you. I absolutely love to drive and tinker with my 57 as well. Probably will never convert to the braking set up you have, but I do have a new CPP power brake booster, proportioning valve and master cylinder set up, with 4 wheel disc brakes. I look forward to seeing pictures of your ride when it is all done.

57AGIN

clusterbuster & James:

Sorry I got mixed up in my replies re clusterbuster's last comments re his & my brakes.  I just noticed my error in addressees.  It's probably another one of those age things. lol

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Well Guys:

Finally some more progress to report on.  Today when I went to Santini's I found Pete busy taping off a damaged area on the firewall for some last minute touch up before the hopefully final color sanding and polishing.  The fenderwells were also being readied for another coat of Pewter, before the blue will be applied. 

I've been told (?) that when the old solvent based paints were used, the solvents gassed out very quickly, but now days using the water based paints a considerable time must elapse between the various stages of painting.  Is that a wives tale or fact?  If it is fact my cars paint job should last into the next century (lol).  The first coat of color (Pewter) was applied to the body & fenders four months ago, the first blue was applied 3 months ago and the side trim was applied 3 weeks ago.  By the time actual color sanding and polishing happens any paint gassing/drying, etc. should be well finished.  Anyway, progress is progress, however slow.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Well I finally have a couple of more photos and can report on some more progress being made on my 57.

This first set of photos deal with preparing the radiator side air deflector for paint.  The remaining photos are of the fenderwells and steering column support in the paint booth getting a final coat of Pewter applied.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Here are some photos I shot today.  Pete gave the fenderwells the two tone treatment and painted some other miscellaneous pieces Blue.  They were all sitting in the sun to dry out.  Now, if he can just have his staff color sand the car and pieces and polished all of them it will be time for reassembly to begin.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

beyond words, Bob. That's gonna be an awesome engine bay.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57AGIN

Rich:

Actually, this color combination is the same as it was when I got it out of Santini's in 2012.  I thought then and still do think that matching the exterior colors of the car in the engine compartment is a nice touch.  I know it is no where near a stock look, but then again I wasn't looking for numbers matching in my restomod.

Here is a shot taken by Jim Smart for a photo shoot that never wound up in the magazine that went out of business.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

So much to look at, I never caught the fact the car previously had 2 toned inner fenders. Nice touch.
Pass Christian is in Ms, btw, not LA. LOL...I only knew that because I looked to see when I was double checking Lynn's location. Couldn't remember where James lived, I just knew it was around there somewhere
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57AGIN

Hey Guys:

The end is getting a little closer, Pete has his worker starting to buff out the 57's body.  Woo Who!!!  His finishing process is as follows: First buffing process starts with standard 3M Rubbing Compound, then another pass using 3M Perfect-it Rubbing Compound, then he does machine glazing using 3M Perfect-it Machine Polish, next he uses 3M Perfect-it Ultra Fine Machine Polish, Lastly when the car is fully assembled he has his worker hand apply a final coat of polish.  I never knew how many steps he used last time the car was painted.  No wonder his paint retains its beauty for many years.  Definitely not a quickie Earl Schieb job.

Bob
57 AGIN