News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bob's 57 AGIN is back to the shop (Santini's)

Started by 57AGIN, 2015-02-17 14:56

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

kiwiragtop

Hi Bob,
It looks like things are coming along, now the hard stuff starts, putting it all back together without scratching that gerorous paint. I hope to catch up with you and Rick at the back end of our trip, and hopefully you have your car home so i can have a look. I still have your number so I will give you a call closer to the time and we will see if we can work something out.

cheers Kiwiragtop

57AGIN

kiwiragtop & Rich:

Yeah, Yahoooo and I'm looking forward to seeing you and your lovely wife again.  It will be interesting getting the 57 put back together again.  Much of which will probably be done by Santini & his crew.  We'll have to schedule things pretty closely together, as I'd like the engine & transmission to go in before the radiator, fender wells and fenders are installed. I should be done with my temporary work assignment and be retired again, so finding time to be involved shouldn't be a problem. If nothing else I can be a parts runner when special fasteners are needed from HILLCO, just about two miles from Santini's.  The last time it went back together, it was done mostly by Rick and me.  It took a good deal of time, as every inch of the frame springs, axels, brakes, etc., had to be cleaned and painted with coats of red oxide and black Rustoleum.  This time shouldn't take nearly as much time and effort (I hope).

Bob
57 AGIN   

RICH MUISE

57AGIN

Rich:

The latest, today, from Pete is that the car is being taped and final preped for going into the paint booth tomorrow for application of the Blue.  I'll believe it when I see it in the booth with new paint on it, as this was supposed to happen last Friday so he could get it into the paint booth on Tuesday.  As for other progress on the repairs, I went over to Si Helling's on Tuesday and checked out the stainless and chroming.  As far as I'm concerned it looks as good as any show quality chroming I've ever seen. Even the 1958 hood scoop piece which almost every one I've seen in the past has at least a few pits in Them, mine has no pits at all.  To say I'm pleased is an understatement.  While I was there I got to see my bumpers, they had just gotten back from having the second coat of copper applied.  They weren't polished yet, but after Si's shop polishes them they will be sent out for the final chroming.  I'm told that good chroming starts and ends with good preparation before attempting the plating, after seeing my other pieces I'm a believer.  I'm still waiting for another partial payment from the Insurance Company, as the 1st $23,000 is gone and I'm now into my savings.  But I think things are moving again.  Time will tell.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Gotta be frustrating...you gotta be getting to the point where you're trying to figure where the dividing line is between dragging their feet and taking the time to do it right. Same with the insurance company...why the payments?? Is it because of unkown/hidden damage expectations? But why so long? They gotta be making sure your not trying to take advantage and make improvements on the car at their expense.
Just as a point of reference, with Grundy, I had a check for my damage in 2 weeks with just a note saying it was for the damage found with the initial damage appraisal and to contact them if further damage was discovered. The building I damaged has also been repaired and cost covered by Grundy in short time. 1/2 the premium cost of others. You might say I'm happy.

clusterbuster

How is your car coming along Rich? Haven't heard much about it.

Ecode70D

RICH MUISE

I'll get my build thread updated soon.

57AGIN

Guys:

Re the Insurance Company, their delay at this point is due to the local property damage appraiser, who came out about 6 weeks ago and took photos of the progress.  I showed him all of the receipts for parts I've bought for the repairs and for the work I've paid for out of the $23K they already sent me.  He didn't take any photos of my receipts and some weeks later said he needed to have me scan them and send them to him.  Since I was back at work during that time I just didn't have time to get that done.  When my temporary job was over, it took me about 8.5 hours do get all the scanning done and get them sent off to him.  I should be hearing from the Insurance Company pretty quick. As far as I can tell, the local appraiser has been the hold up on getting a progress installment from the Insurance Company.  We'll see.  As soon as I receive my pay check from my temporary job, I'll be picking up my stainless & chrome pieces.  That should happen this week.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Rich:

The 57 is finally back in the paint booth.  It has been there for several days.  They, Pete and one of his workers, are busy taping off the areas not to be turned Blue.  The rest of the car has already been sprayed Pewter. I'll be picking up my stainless & chrome tomorrow.  Pete needs the hockey stick and front fender stainless to determine exactly where the dividing lines are between the Blue and Pewter.  It is nice to see something happening again. The photos I took on Monday are attached to this post.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

RichL

Here are the photos I took today.  Needless to say I'll be there tomorrow, too.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Well now it has finally happened, both blue and pewter paint is once again on 57 AGIN.  The body is in better shape than when done in 2011, but there is still a long way to go before it's on the road again.  I'm looking forward to putting the engine back together (just the oil pan, which has been repainted and getting the carb, carb enclosure, blower fittings back together and the distributor reinstalled).  Those pieces were removed to provide access to re-polish the Air Gap intake manifold and blower enclosure and stainless tubing leading from the blower to the carb enclosure.  I also had all the alternator brackets re-chromed as they were pretty scratched up during the accident. Anyway, I've attached photos of the repainting.  Pete is still coming up with some ideas for the Fairlane type trim area, which will continue to be painted in some fashion, it should be a little more striking this go around.  Definitely some new tires and probably some new rims as well.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Here are a few more photos.  The captions are self explanatory.

Bob
57 AGIN