News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

hemidave

SHOP CLASS
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

CobraJoe

Fairlanes on the Holman Moody waiting list to become NASCAR Grand National Racers 1967

rmk57

Which one was Mario Andretti's ?  :003: He won the Daytona 500 in 67 I believe. One of the most talented drivers of all time , he could drive anything and be competitive.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

rmk57

Feel sorry for this guy. Changing spark plugs in a FE Mustang.......

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

UGH! Me too. the back plug on the driver's side was best done when the car was on a lift. Talk about shoe-horning an engine into a bay...
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

John Palmer

Changing plugs in a FE Mustang...???..LOL!

Check out his "super special" spark plug extension laying on the shock tower.

My favorite "FE plug tool set up" was a Champion brand 3/8" drive spark plug socket, because they had a magnet to hold the plug in the socket.  Then a 3/8" impact wobble, which is like a U-Joint, but rotates much smoother.  Then it was connected to a 1/2" drive 24" extension, which is much stiffer than a 3/8" extension.  I always used a 3/8" Champion Brand swivel head plug ratchet.  A section of vacuum hose works well to start plugs in the hard to reach holes.

This was used to tighten, and to remove plugs and works for every cylinder "from the top".  It also works on cars equipped with the air injection (Thermactor) tubes.  The hardest part was getting the spark plug boots off because the heat made the boots stick to the porcelain plugs.

My best advice is to let it cool over night.  It's not easy to do a quick FE plug change between rounds in a Mustang/Fairlane bodied car.

rmk57

My father had a 1967 390 XL Ranchero which has basically the same engine compartment as a Mustang and he used put aside 3 or so hours for a plug change. Lots of colorful language coming from the garage on a Saturday afternoon.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

I remember my mechanic neighbor laughing at me one day in the garage trying to change plugs in my '67 Cougar XR7 GT. After a few hours of harrassing me, he said "let me do it for ya, I'll have them in in no time". Bet that was the last time he said that about a 390 in a Cougar or Mustang.
Didn't realize how rare those CougarGT's were......you think finding a '67 Mustang with a 390 is tough.....Do ya think I wished I still had it?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

The Astro was created by Bill Cushenberry of Cushenberry Custom Shop. It was based on a 1963 Ford Galaxie Convertible. He used Ford's traditional round taillight theme as motif for the front end of the car.

59meteor

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2020-01-10 13:10
I remember my mechanic neighbor laughing at me one day in the garage trying to change plugs in my '67 Cougar XR7 GT. After a few hours of harrassing me, he said "let me do it for ya, I'll have them in in no time". Bet that was the last time he said that about a 390 in a Cougar or Mustang.
Didn't realize how rare those CougarGT's were......you think finding a '67 Mustang with a 390 is tough.....Do ya think I wished I still had it?
I have owned 3 428 Cobra Jet 69/70 Mach 1s, 2 428 CJ 69 Fairlane Cobras, and a 66 390 Fairlane GTA. For the past 22 years, I have been a mechanic at a Toyota dealership, and I would much prefer to change all 8 spark plugs on a FE Mustang or Fairlane, than the rear 3 plugs on a V6 Toyota RAV4, Highlanger, Sienna van, or Camry!
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

CobraJoe

hemidave

Yesterday I watched the "Bullitt Mustang" at Mecum Kissemmee in person sell for 3.4M !
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.