News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

I should be ashamed (but I'm not) for what I am thinking of this series of ladies and rods Joe!  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

I figured we all could use a little more excitement in our lives during these trying times.  :003:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

CobraJoe

RICH MUISE

Ford briquettes! I know there was a reason for Ford to produce them, but my memory again. Was it leftovers or scraps from the earlier days of wood bracing from the cars?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hemidave

MIMI
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

lalessi1

I read the history of "Kingsford Charcoal" on the bag. Henry Ford invented the charcoal briquet to use piles of Model T wood scraps. Didn't realize they were at some point called "Ford". I had no idea!
Lynn

rmk57

Quote from: hemidave on 2020-04-07 09:29
   MIMI

Interesting, never heard of that product before. I wonder how it worked out? 

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

Quote from: hemidave on 2020-04-07 09:29
   MIMI

Obviously the tire didn't become the big hit it was hoped to be. But I bet guys "flipped" over Mimi!  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

FiveSevenLiter

If memory serves me correct, King was Henry's brother-in-law and ran the wood mill in Iron Mountain, Michigan that milled wood for the woodies.  It was King's idea and partnered with Henry.
I was in Iron Mountain a few years ago and looked around for some historical type photo ops and the people I asked, knew nothing about the automotive history in the area.
T
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

mustang6984

Quote from: FiveSevenLiter on 2020-04-07 11:07
If memory serves me correct, King was Henry's brother-in-law and ran the wood mill in Iron Mountain, Michigan that milled wood for the woodies.  It was King's idea and partnered with Henry.
I was in Iron Mountain a few years ago and looked around for some historical type photo ops and the people I asked, knew nothing about the automotive history in the area.
T

My wife bought one a book one year for Christmas on the rouge and how it operated. Henry was a master at optimizing everything for as much money as possible. The Kingsford charcoal was indeed his way of disposing of the scrap wood for profit.
You would think people at Iron Mountain would try and make ALL of the history available wouldn't you? Kids nowadays aren't taught much of anything resembling history though. Sadly.
I always thought it was humorous in my later years that my father, a devoted B-tie guy...swore by Kingsford charcoal. Never bought anything else. LOL!!! If he had only known... :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

"Everyone associates Henry Ford with the automobile and the invention of the assembly line, but you also have the American businessman to thank for your backyard cookouts. An avid outdoorsman and early environmentalist, Henry Ford found a way to solve two problems-waste from his sawmill and cooking fuel source for camping trips-with the invention of Kingsford Charcoal. That's Mr. Kingsford on the right:

Henry Ford Needed Wood to Make His Model T Cars
Henry Ford was experiencing phenomenal success with this assembly-line produced Model T Fords. By 1919, his company was producing a million cars a year. About 100 board feet of wood went into each car-in the steering wheel, dashboard, and other parts. Ford wanted his own source of wood so he wasn't at the mercy of other suppliers and inconsistent costs. So he contacted his cousin's husband, Edward G. Kingsford, a Michigan real estate agent, to help him find and purchase timberland. He found just want he needed in Iron Mountain, Michigan. Ford built a sawmill there to cut the wood for shipping to Detroit.

An Early Environmentalist, Ford Was Concerned About Waste
Ford, a nature-lover, was also an early environmentalist and lived by the motto, "reduce, reuse, and recycle." He was bothered by the wasted wood at his Iron Mountain sawmill. There was a surplus of leftover stumps, branches, and sawdust. Ford hated to see the resources going unused and sought a way to make use of the byproducts of his sawmill.

When he wasn't overseeing production at his Ford Assembly Plant, Henry Ford loved to spend time in the outdoors. He frequently went on camping trips with his cousin-in-law, Kingsford, and his friends, inventor Thomas Edison and American naturalist and essayist, John Burroughs. It was on one of these camping trips that Ford figured out what he could make with the scrap wood and sawdust from his sawmill.

The Birth of the Charcoal Briquette
One problem ford often encountered when camping was finding enough dry wood and kindling to build and sustain a fire that was hot enough to cook food over. Ford found that he could use the scraps and sawdust, pressed into lumps held together by tar and cornstarch, as a quick and easy way to start cooking a fire. He named these lumps charcoal briquettes and built a briquette manufacturing facility next door to the sawmill. He sold the briquettes in picnic packs and promoted the link between owning an automobile and experiencing the great outdoors.

Edward G. Kingsford (left) and Henry Ford

Briquette Became Kingsford Charcoal
Ford's charcoal briquette division was purchased by a team of investors in 1951. The conglomerate renamed the briquettes Kingsford Charcoal in honor of Edward Kingsford. Today, Kingsford Charcoal is still made in America using 100% American materials. In fact, more than one million tons of wood waste finds new life as charcoal briquettes every year.

Henry Ford was a visionary entrepreneur who found an innovative way to solve two problems with one invention. The next time we enjoy a burger or hot dog cooked over a charcoal grill, we should give a big thanks to Henry Ford."

CobraJoe

....and now, back to our regularly scheduled programming....   :003:

mustang6984

Joe to the rescue with  apiece of education containing a valuable history lesson.

Joe to the rescue with ART class as well.  :003:

Joe should get a degree from some major university for his teachings!  :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

What A SEGUE!!!
Lynn