News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

Interesting that it has 'trafficators' i.e. semaphore turn signals on the a posts. It's definitely a US model Ford, but appears to be delivered in Europe. It's not a German '39 Ford V8. The Gentleman has a 'French' look to him.

Quote from: hemidave on 2020-06-15 06:53
Beautiful '39

lzbryant

Quote from: hemidave on 2020-06-14 06:53
BRISTOL
My dad took me to that race. After the race, we went into the pits to see if we could talk to Lorentzen, but he was in pain from previous accident and didn't stick around.  I settled for autograph from Herb Nab his crew chief.  Thanks for the memories

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

RICH MUISE

The bike driver probably ended up on the porch of that beautiful Victorian house.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

Around half of all motorcycle accidents are caused by a vehicle turning left in front of you. He would be lucky if he ended up on the front porch.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

Given the position of the car, parallel to the house and no evidence from tire marks of the car having been pushed 70-90 degrees, looks more like the motorcycle probably ran a stop sign behind him at what at this picture offers was a "T" intersection. With a larger view of the scene I might be able to offer more...but that is the conclusion I see.
And given the height of the car...that dent in the top of the door...was his head. I don't think Excedrin would have helped with the resulting headache.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

hemidave

'55 Sunliner
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2020-06-15 14:59

My Mom's brother was a motor bike patrolman in Milwaukee, WI.  He was killed when a car pulled out in front of him while on routine patrol.  Back in the day they did not wear helmets, just had their regular duty billed caps.  She said that the top edge of the door had the imprint of his cap badge in it.  This happened in 37 - 38 time frame, not sure of the time, just best I can remember.  Wonder where that photo was taken?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

John Palmer

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2020-06-16 05:07

This is the Ford dealer that I worked for between 1965 to 1971.  This was his original location at 58th Ave, in Glendale Arizona.  They built a new store down the street (Grand Ave) at 53rd Ave.   It was a 17 acre dealership with about 250 employees.  They were a full service dealership, with a large truck shop, tire shop, body shop, etc.  They were and still are a Ford Racing Parts dealership, then it was called Total Performance.  They have rebuilt and relocated the Grand Ave store to the back of their property and are now located on 51st Ave and Maryland.

The best part of the original 58th Ave location was Joe's Hamburger stand was across the street on a tiny triangle piece of property.  They made the best chill burgers and as a kid I would walk across the street and window shop those "then new" 1956/57/58 Fords.

Working at the dealership was a fun gig for a kid just out of High School.  They were completely flexible with my work schedule so I could attend college.  Thanks for the memories.   

mustang6984

Working at a dealership fresh out of high school was every cr guy's dream...and was obtainable too. Not so much today. Miss those good ol' days.
Have a buddy who is a cop in Phoenix...I wonder if he buys his Fords from there? Took his wife's Explorer in once for an oil change...and when it came back out...it had turned into a new Explorer. That's the story he told her anyhow! LOL!!! After a couple of days she was fine with it...but a little miffed at first.  :005:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2020-06-16 08:20
My Mom's brother was a motor bike patrolman in Milwaukee, WI.  He was killed when a car pulled out in front of him while on routine patrol.  Back in the day they did not wear helmets, just had their regular duty billed caps.  She said that the top edge of the door had the imprint of his cap badge in it.  This happened in 37 - 38 time frame, not sure of the time, just best I can remember.  Wonder where that photo was taken?

I am assuming here in Massachusetts, as it was in the Boston Public library Archives.

"File name: 08_06_018073
Title: Auto accidents
Creator/Contributor: Jones, Leslie, 1886-1967 (photographer)
Date created: 1948
Physical description: 1 negative : film, black & white ; 4 x 5 in.
Genre: Film negatives
Subject: Traffic accidents; Motorcycles
Notes: Title and date from information provided by Leslie Jones or the Boston Public Library on the negative or negative sleeve.
Collection: Leslie Jones Collection
Rights: Copyright Leslie Jones.
Preferred credit: Courtesy of the Boston Public Library, Leslie Jones Collection.
"

mustang6984

Geeze Joe...are you a research savant? Amazing how you are always able to come up with the background info. I have this couple who skipped out on me owing rent...LOL!!! Sic 'em... :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Quote from: John Palmer on 2020-06-16 14:25
This is the Ford dealer that I worked for between 1965 to 1971.  This was his original location at 58th Ave, in Glendale Arizona.  They built a new store down the street (Grand Ave) at 53rd Ave.   It was a 17 acre dealership with about 250 employees.  They were a full service dealership, with a large truck shop, tire shop, body shop, etc.  They were and still are a Ford Racing Parts dealership, then it was called Total Performance.  They have rebuilt and relocated the Grand Ave store to the back of their property and are now located on 51st Ave and Maryland.

The best part of the original 58th Ave location was Joe's Hamburger stand was across the street on a tiny triangle piece of property.  They made the best chill burgers and as a kid I would walk across the street and window shop those "then new" 1956/57/58 Fords.

Working at the dealership was a fun gig for a kid just out of High School.  They were completely flexible with my work schedule so I could attend college.  Thanks for the memories.   

Cool story, thanks for sharing, tried finding info on "Joe's Hamburgers in Glendale, but no luck. Are you sure that was the correct name?

John Palmer

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2020-06-16 14:56
Cool story, thanks for sharing, tried finding info on "Joe's Hamburgers in Glendale, but no luck. Are you sure that was the correct name?

LOL, Yea, but you have to consider how well a 73 year old memory is still working!

It was painted orange, likely for safety because it was on the tiny small triangle shaped ground left by the intersection of three streets.  Note Grand Ave the major street runs at a 45 degree angle to all of the other (north/south, and east/west) streets.  It was still there as late as 1965.  It was a dump, just a old time hamburger stand on the side of the road.  My favorite was Birley's Chocolate drink.  Who knows what was in it, but it tasted like chocolate milk.  You served yourself for bottled drinks by sorting through the ice filled Coke Cooler outside.  Kind of nice, when it's 115 degrees out.  It only had maybe five or six stools outside, and would not be considered safe today with cars cruising by on Grand Ave (it's highway 60) at 50 MPH.