News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

Jim, all I say to that is "thank you Uncle Joe" Believe it or not I still have some gas recepts from when I worked in one of the local gas stations, .35 cents for premium. Not sure why but if I did not run the high test gas my old 312 would ping like crazy.  I bought that car off the Ford used car lot, never done anything to it, and it run like a wild ape. I had a friend that built a 57 bow tie, with a wild cam and all the goodies and I would run all over him. He still gets pissed when we talk about it, but my old 312 was bone stock.

Ford Blue blood

Got my first "real" car in 67 after getting home from Nam.  Young, bullet proof and full of vinegar with a pocket full of jingle saw a 63 1/2 Galaxie with a "Z code" 390, 4 speed, 3.89 T-lock that had my name all over it.  12 MPG was no problem then, premium was $.33 a gallon, Uncle Sugar paid me well (At least I thought so).

Today I am working on thinning the herd as driving everything once a week has put the hurts on the budget.  Uncle Joe has tried to kill the oil industry without thinking past the end of his nose.  Yup, we should look at ways to reduce CO2 emissions but lets figure it out before killing off the heart blood of the economy.

Off my soap box now!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

I'd like to get on my soap box as I'm sure many others would but we will be spanked for getting into politics. And we need to stick to 57's. So drive them while you can. I drive all of mine at least once a week to keep them running and we are getting right to the $5 a gallon here.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Still under 3 for regular here, which tells me it's more local/state than Uncle Sam. Mid grade, which is what I use in my '57 is about 3.30
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2021-11-18 10:24
Still under 3 for regular here, which tells me it's more local/state than Uncle Sam. Mid grade, which is what I use in my '57 is about 3.30
I think we have the second highest state tax at about $.50 a gallon, but that hasn't changed.. so state and local taxes haven't effected it. They claim it's just demand after the restrictions were lifted and more people are out and about and the price of crude OPEC is charging rather then using our own oil like we did previously and that can be blamed on uncle Sam.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2021-11-17 10:22
Thats funny Alvin. It must be nice to have new car right out of school. In 65 I was driving a 54 Chevy that burned a quart of oil a day  :005: In 66 I got a 57 Ford and have never looked at another brand since..

Jim
      In 1965 you were driving an oil burning 54 WHAT????
      I'm happy to hear that you got straightened out in 66 and got into a 57 Ford.
      Your secret is safe.  Don't worry. I'm not going to tell anyone.   Jay   

FiveSevenLiter

This is my father (sponsor) and brother-in-law with the freshly lettered 271 HP / 4-speed Comet, and 12's in the mid-60's.  It had been a road race car before Ken bought it.  He ran 5.67:1 on the street.Terry
:canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

FiveSevenLiter

Found these at the local museum last week.
Terry
:canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

rmk57

Low 12's is pretty respectable for a little 289. Great pic Terry.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Fairlane62

Quote: Thats funny Alvin. It must be nice to have new car right out of school. In 65 I was driving a 54 Chevy that burned a quart of oil a day  :005: In 66 I got a 57 Ford and have never looked at another brand since.

Err, a quart of oil a day was just basic maintenance on a Chevy.  :005:

rmk57

October 19 1970. The date my Mustang was sold to it's new owner from West Coast Ford. Photo was taken a couple days after he bought it. I asked the him about the missing chin spoiler and he

said it never came with one.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

Randy, I wonder if maybe the Boss 429s were shipped with the front spoiler uninstalled, meant to be put on during the pre delivery inspection. Supposedly the early Mustangs were supposed to have the rear tie down brackets removed from the rear frame rails during PDI, but as I have seen plenty of cars with them still on. Maybe the spoiler got "lost", or otherwise left off. (Flat rate and all...)
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

59meteor

Randy, hard to tell in the photo, but did your car come with a factory installed radio? I can not see the antenna on the RF fender. I know some BC Ford dealers ordered their stock without radios, and installed radios themselves afterwards. A buddy still owns the same Grabber Green M code Shaker 70 Sportsroof that he bought new in 1970, from Eagle Motors on East Hastings in Burnaby, that was radio delete. I have a buddy here in Nova Scotia whose family owned a Ford-Meteor , and later Ford dealership from 1958 thru 2014, and he told me that they often ordered new cars without a radio.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

John Palmer

Quote from: 59meteor on 2021-11-26 20:43
Randy, I wonder if maybe the Boss 429s were shipped with the front spoiler uninstalled, meant to be put on during the pre delivery inspection. Supposedly the early Mustangs were supposed to have the rear tie down brackets removed from the rear frame rails during PDI, but as I have seen plenty of cars with them still on. Maybe the spoiler got "lost", or otherwise left off. (Flat rate and all...)

Having worked at a large Ford Dealer during this period, I believe you are correct.  I believe the spoiler was left off of the car to prevent shipping damage from truck loading ramps.  If your dealer was like most, the new car get ready department did the very minimal to get them out the door, hammer the hubcaps on, then run it through the car wash.

At our dealership (Glendale, Arizona), adding the abs chin spoilers was a common accessory on the regular Mustangs.  Things like power steering, air conditioning, radios, mag wheels, undercoating, etc. were common dealer added items.  This was before the days of "tape" pin stripes, and ceramic protective paint coatings.  Just like selling extended warranties, and financing packages they are all added profit centers for the dealership. 

John

rmk57

From what I gathered they were shipped with the spoilers, hardware and instructions in the trunk to be installed at the dealership. Mine was probably "borrowed" for another Mustang.

Mine has an am radio and the antennae is located on the right rear quarter. I actually prefer it that way rather than a fender. Most every 1970 Boss 429 I've seen have the standard door panels but with the deluxe interior. Wood grain dash / console / steering wheel, seatbelt light, auto front seat release and the rest. Kind of oddball but that's the they were.

40 some years ago I did manage to buy a brand new Boss 302 / 429 front Spoiler from my local Ford dealer. Took a bit of searching but did come up with one.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429