News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

update on Rich's build

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-05-07 23:40

Previous topic - Next topic

John Palmer

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2015-09-02 03:40
When I bought my Del Rio I was lucky enough to run into Blair ( the guy who built it 2 decades ago) at Long Beach swap meet. the car has Granada spindles and slightly cut OEM coils and a 351W/C6. the block is very close to the firewall ( mounted via reversed 57 motor mounts).  It handled very well, nice stance. not too low. no tire rubbing with 195/75-15.
Blair told me, that when he still had the 292 in the car with the same spring and suspension setup, the car handled badly, was bottoming out and generally misbehaving. he said that when he swaped to the 351  it felt like a new car and the spring rating was much better fit. so this goes to show how different weight and weight-distribution will affect the front suspension. I bet the Alu 4.6 is at least another 50pds lighter than the 351. I reckon the 351 is 70pds lighter then that old massive chunk of Y block iron. that is 120 pds difference, taking into consideration how the short Aluminium 4.6 will slip back to the firewall, it might subtract as much as 150-180 or more pds compared to a stock 6 cyl front suspension. that's half of a modern engine.
Blair told me he used Aerostar springs in his 56 2dr and everybody on the HAMB also said they were working very well. They are very reasonably priced, I have seen them as low as 70$ a pair. I think they might work very well on your 4.6 car, Rich. I'd give them a try and maybe play with rubber washers for the springs.

DJ, I have a question for you?

There's not many "car guys" I have known with the name Blair, actually only two in my many years.

Did you buy your Del Rio wagon from "Bare Foot" Blair Smith, in Orange County, CA very near Long Beach?  If so, it's a very small car hobby, and car world for that matter.  Bare Foot is a local painter that has done work for me on my trailer's, and a real character!

djfordmanjack

John,
100 % correct with Blair Smith ! :003:
I didn't buy the car directly from him, but from Jeff in Arizona. somwehow, anybody in the story of the wagon was aware of each other, even though it was sold on twice. but I met Blair by pure incidence ! I flew in from Europe to drive the 57 from Yuma Az to LA Cal and attended the Long Beach swap meet, when suddenly a guy with a hat approaches me and asks about the details. Sure enough it was Blair and he recognized his old car although being completely repainted in different colors, and sharing stories. He even had an old photo print from back in the 90s in his current daily driver car !!! that was more than 15 years after he built the car and 10 years after he sold it ! he gave the photo to me. He also pointed me out to his old binder with all the build specs and receipts and sure enough I got it from the seller later on.
If you happen to come across him at Donut Derelicts or LB swap meet, please tell him my greetings and that I am currently are restoring the car down to the last bolt.

Sorry Rich for hijacking your thread

RICH MUISE

That's ok DJ...I've been known to do that (on a daily basis it seems). You sure tore apart a great looking car.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Believe me Rich, it didn't look like in the ca. 1997 picture anymore. another owner had it parked in Newport Beach, just a few hundred yards from the Pacific Ocean, for 10 years. I have pictures of it parked at the same curbside all the time, thats why it developed heavy rust on the right side. and everywhere else. not talking of the twisted frame. the guy drove it into the ground. Blair was sad when he observed what happened to his beloved old ride. He told me the car didn't have any rust when he had it.
I have been to the coast in March and I have seen how daytime temperatures of 90 or more will drop to 55 in the night and all the salty water air will get condensed into heavy fog. Old cars don't like that... :002:

57 imposter

Quote from: KidKourier on 2015-09-02 00:30
      I'm also running the Concours sway bars on my Courier and from the concrete floor to bottem of swaybar =6" and from the center of the TorqueThrust center cap to the beginning of the fender lip{straight up} it's 13",I'm running 225x70x15 front tires! With the addition of the swaybars  I'm going to have to add a set of performance shocks to the front,stock ones aren't cutting it. KID
Wow! mine measures 15 1/2 spindle to fender lip so I need 2 inches for sure. The paperwork I referred to in my other post was from the build that was done in Calif. when the big block was installed. I assume they put heavier coils in to take care of the big block weight. but maybe not, there was no part number or supplier name in the notes, and the small block did not seem to affect ride height at all. I'm stumped!  I can't mess with anything until the painter finishes up. I got chewed out for setting a plastic dust pan on the fender for about 30 seconds so I am not going anywhere near the thing till he is done. You don't have to yell at em twice.

57 imposter

Has anyone installed the aerostar springs with before and after ride height measurements? 

RICH MUISE

I spent the day converting the front wall of my workshed from a section that unscrewed and lifted out to a double hinged door that folds like shutters. It was just too damn hard for an old man to be taking that wall down to get the car out. Now it'll be easy. I'm going to rig up something for the chain link fence also, so I can quickly swing it out of the way. Instead of a two hour project to move the car to the driveway, it'll take 5 minutes now. Of course that's if I
don't pile stuff in the way.
I did find a leak in one of my windows, btw. One of the back window lower corners is leaking into the trunk...gotta get that sealed up. I think I squished out too much sealant when I did the install. Speaking of washing the car, I forgot to do the engine compartment. I'll do that tommorrow before I put it back inside, and of course I'll have to wash it again also. One other thing I figured out from having it outside and washing it.....I've got to get some kinda drain going on the hood scoop. With it open (for now), and being in a cowl induction position, water gets downhill to the front of the scoop and has nowhere to go.
Sitting in the car this morning to back it back into the back yard (lotsa back's there!), I REALLY REALLY just wanted to pull it out onto the street and go for a long drive....I'm getting antsy!
Doug...my car measures 16 1/2 lip to wheel center, if I average the two. One small tire in the back has it sitting cockeyed..

robhaerr

My wagon measurements on the front with 1990 Aerostar springs (Moog part # CC850, under $100 at O'Reilly Auto, Napa or other auto parts stores)...

from ground to front Concours sway bar= 5 1/2"
Center cap of wheel to lip of fender wheel well= 12 3/4"
Ground to lip of fender wheel well= 24 1/4"

Ford 302 with aluminum heads, C4 trans, no a/c. STOCK SPINDLES. Front tires are 215/60/15, rear are 215/65/15. Stock type shocks, pretty cheap!

I have also attached photos of before and after the Aerostar springs, although I think the Aerostar springs have settled a little more after this photo. I can't find the height measurements with the Eaton springs, but the photos will show the results.

Here is the comprehensive thread that convinced me to try the Aerostar springs...
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/cheap-and-great-alternative-coil-springs-49-thru-59-ford-and-merc.260795/

Hope this helps!
Rob

57 imposter

Rich....I went back and looked at the pictures of your car and you have the same problem i have plus an inch. I think I will give mine one more good going over to make sure nothing is hung up or out of sorts and then try the aerostar springs. They also list a spacer to raise it  if it sits too low. I will document all the changes which will be a change for me since I always seem to forget to get the before measurements. I cannot live with a car that doesn't sit like I want so whatever needs to be done, will get done. I am also with you on replacing front coils. I would rather take a beating.

57 imposter

Great post Rob.. I feel much better about the spring chance. I think those springs will bring mine down to where yours is and that is just where I want it to be. Got to go to Spokane tomorrow to turn in my bumpers to the chrome shop but will be checking with the parts store on Friday.

RICH MUISE

Just be aware Rob has stock spindles, so yours may ultimatly drop 2" below where his after settling....if that happens you're gonna be looking for some really tall tires to keep it off the ground.

Great info, Rob...thanks a ton for doing all that measuring for us. See all the work it makes for ya when you have something others like?

robhaerr

My pleasure...I hope you all get your desired results!

Rob

Zapato

Rob, what's your current measurement ground to lowest point of front fender?

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

robhaerr

Zap...

The lowest point on the front fender is right behind the front tire, forward of the door.

6 11/16"

The lowest part of the car is the front sway bar at 5 1/2".

Rob

RICH MUISE

Ordered my rear springs today...6 leaf. I talked to Tom at McVeigh's and if I heard him correcly (I have a hard time hearing certain voices on the phone), the 6 leaf should give about the same ride as the 4 leaf...however, there are other differences. The ride height will be approx. 1" greater than the 4 leaf spring, and it will have a greater load rating, so the car will have less tendencies for the tires to rub as the car won't lean as much in corners. Also, it will allow the axel to drop down another inch for tire removal clearance. I'm not sure about the extra inch of height, but I can always add lowering blocks. He also told me the 6 leaf springs are arched differently than the 4 leaf, which is the reason for the difference in ride height.

Got my front lights finished up on the wiring today..headlights and turn/park. Tonight after dinner I'll install the halogen headlight bulbs and see what I've got...or don't. Very slow on the wiring. I bought some 6 wire weathertight connectors, and they are a pain to get the terninals on.