News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Thanks for the suggestions G. I'm probably not going to try to do much about it at this time as I drive with the window down most of the time. I can't remember having a noise problem with my first 57 in 1966 or my 58 in 1967 or my second 57 in 1968. But back then I may have had the music so loud I didn't notice it  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

fdlrc

It has been cold here also Rich. It's really to soon for me to tell how well my Steele rubber doors seals are going to perform. Right now it takes some effort to close the doors, but considering how cold and new everything is, I don't anticipate any issues. When I drove it 15 miles from interior shop I didn't have any wind noise.

I did get the front calipers re-installed. As you recall, my from pads only had 66% pad contact on front rotors. Fatman sent me the wrong brackets originally. I had to slightly modify the brackets, but now it's good to go. Haven't had the car on the road yet to test drive.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

RICH MUISE

You've been getting unusual amounts of snow up there haven't you? Man I need a roadtrip.how are the mountain roads up there? probably too soon, and too cold to be enjoyable.
Good to hear about the door seals, and especially no wind, but I don't usually get much until hiway speeds.....60ish.
Sure was nice you didn't have the hell Gary/Gasman is going thru to get his car from the upholsterer after 3 1/2 years.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Got my road trip lined up! I remembered an hour ago one of my local friends told me the Darryl Starbird show was coming up in Tulsa. I just checked and it starts tomorrow. Going to take the '57. 375  miles  or so each way, I'm probably not as close to it as Hugh is in Branson.
Hugh, check out the website if ya got a day or so to get away. 1,000+ cars, indoors @ the Tulsa fairgrounds.
https://www.starbirdcarshows.com/tulsa_-_event_information
be sure to click the "home" button

mustang6984

UGH! I would LOVE to go...but I have had exorbitant water bills on the apartment building while I w as trying to find them. Turned out it was all of the toilets! One in particular was passing about 8-10tanks a day, and doing  it so slowly that no one ever heard water running.
I have them all fixed now, and the meters get read every week in the complex. I dropped from 10,000+ gallons a week to 5,500 a week. MUCH better. But now I have no money... :angry5: ...so I can't go. And I wold love to! Will have to put it on my list for next year...like so many other things.
BUT...I charge you with the task of having enough fun for both of us! LOL!!! which I suspect you will be able to do!  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

I may not go either, $ also, and I didn't realize it was 375 miles. I may revert back to my plan of checking out the Lewis Auto and Toy Museum in Moriaty, NM. Looks like a super neat place to visit, I'll see if I can re-find a video I just watched on it.
found it..@ 1 minute mark. Best with sound off!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs3yUojXC68

djfordmanjack

Rich, maybe this is an original 'morning coffee' post ?

I am building a Flathead and master engine builder Vern Tardel always stresses how important it is to poke sand/rust/scale/debris from the water jackets even if it has been cleaned or dipped before. Well I guess he is right ! :003:
That is more than a pound of 'morning coffee' in that jar. :002:

hiball3985

WOW!!! Now turn the block over and flush it to get the Decaf out  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

CobraJoe

Wow, that's a lot of rust; can the water jackets be treated with anything DJ?
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

it's not all rust, Joe. also lots of scale, sediment and what I believe is sand. those blocks are said to have lots of remnants of the original casting process inside. that could be true.
Yes H&H Flatheads in Cali do a special liquid ceramic sealing of the water jackets. I doubt somebody can do this over here, I will go for some good quality anti freeze. all famous builders stress the fact how important it is to thoroughly clean out the blocks for cooler operating temps.
Your 39 appears very well built though, so the engine will have been rebuilt. You will also have to meet and show it to Jay, he is just extremely knowledgable about Flathead engines !

lalessi1

Seeing this makes me wonder if FE's aren't inclined to scale up in the jackets making overheating an issue on older blocks????
Lynn

hiball3985

H&H flatheads is about 3 miles from me. I haven't been by there in years. Before they went to the flathead business it was a general automotive machine shop and Max the owner use to do all my machine work. The son or sons now run the business. They had some unbelievable engines on display the last time I was there.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2020-02-16 11:38
Seeing this makes me wonder if FE's aren't inclined to scale up in the jackets making overheating an issue on older blocks????
When I tore down my 66 352 with 140,000 miles to build the 390 I was surprised how little scale there was and it ran on water all those years. But like everything there are so many variables. Only FE I worked on with a heating problem was a 410 that belonged to a friend who had installed the left bank head gasket backwards..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

The one I am going to use in my '57 was FULL of rust scale and "dirt" inside the water jacket area. When I pulled out the freeze plugs it just poured out. I have no idea about the history of the engine or the car it came out of. The car was a T-bird...'67 if I remember correctly. Was in a junk yard and was damage free...so I am guessing it was there due to an engine or transmission issue.
No one knew if it was a 390 or a 428. No way to really know now until it is torn down I guess. The car and the junk yard are long gone.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Lynn, given that the FE and a Y block are pretty similar in many design clues, like the low skirts. My 57 292 was so full of sludge and sediment build up. Maybe you remember when I had all those overheating issues and was pulling the freeze plugs and cleaning out the Y block with wire, scraper, screwdriver, compressed air and a high pressure washer. I posted some of that in my 57 wagon build.

Seeing this makes me wonder if FE's aren't inclined to scale up in the jackets making overheating an issue on older blocks???

btw Joe, did you notice that this is a '39 or '40 block ?