News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

windshield wiper motor install?????

Started by Zapato, 2011-04-05 20:22

Previous topic - Next topic

wildhog

I have done the 58 swap on my 57 Ranchero .It works great as you use all Ford factory parts. I took the easy way out and used the Newport Eng. unit on the 300 and it burnt up in the first real rain it was ever in coming back from Columbus this year. The Newport was 4 years old, but that was only the second time the car was in the rain, and only the first time it had to run over 1/2 hour.  On my Sunliner I used a 61 Ford electric wiper motor and mounted it in the original spot on the cowl, this also works good, but I like the clean look of hiding the motor under the dash.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Zapato

TFG, I've always believed those kits trace their heritage to the Lucas wipers. Seldom seen are new ideas lots of improving but not always when copying proven designs. Main improvement with these is they come with directions that explain how to install and set sweep angles.

ZAP- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JimNolan

Tom,
   Thanks for that post. I wondered about the Newport Eng. wiper motor. I've got the old Delco unit that came out in the 1950's. It's seen hours of continued use with no problems. I do need to look for a spare unit though. It won't be Newport Eng.  Thanks for the information. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

Quote:"Main improvement with these is they come with directions that explain how to install and set sweep angles."
Zap...so true for many non-mechanics like myself...I won't hesitate to install the Ron Francis wiring kit or the Rack and pinion set-up from Sparky, but to start a project from scratch (or salvaging components from other vehicles) for many things requires a whole new set of knowledge.

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Rich, i think you have that knowledge or at least another set that equals it. What you did figuring out arms and adapting the Mustang set-up is nothing short of incredible.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

TexasFordGuy

Quote from: Zapato on 2011-11-10 10:22
QuoteTFG, I've always believed those kits trace their heritage to the Lucas wipers. Seldom seen are new ideas lots of improving but not always when copying proven designs. Main improvement with these is they come with directions that explain how to install and set sweep angles.

ZAP- :unitedstates:

I agree,  I the directions and or shared knowledge such as found on this site, are always the best route.  I did get a chance to see a setup like theses being installed in a 38 Cheby Truck and immediately thought this would be a good way to go for us.  It is very simple, clean, and it does not take up a lot of space.  Most of all, you do not have to cut up your car, something I am not to keen on doing, as needed for the 58 conversion.
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100