News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

I'M STOKKED!!!

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-04-11 17:09

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

A little more progress this week. Got the trunk lid painted inside and out/buffed and installed but not adjusted yet. Got my trunk area paint freshened up a little, and my tailights installed. No problem at all with the paint match...which I was greatly relieved at since I had decided to paint the car in stages rather than all at once.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

also got one fender blocked out and painted. First pic shows final blocking with guide coat and 400 grit. By the time I got the blocking done about noon time, the temp had crept up to 100 again, so I had to wait until about 7 pm for it to cool down enough to paint...almost waited too long..I put the last coat of clear on about 9:15 in the dark!...I'll have to wait until morning to see if I got any runs. The last two pics were taken with the flash. Rich

JPotter57

Looking good, Rich.  I'm really liking that gray, man....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

Thanks James..I'm really really happy I made the last minute decision to change from Torch Red..I'm even surprised that I like the red underpan with the gray..not what I would have chosen if I had planned the grey all along...but it works well. I really think the Grey will go so much better with the crazy interior I've got started and will give the car the overall more contemporary look I was hoping to get. I'm also thinking, and I'm not sure why, when I pick my wheels they also will be a more contemporary style. When I had planned the red, I was visualizing the traditional torque thrusters with the gray centers. Now I'm thinking the Gray/silver paint would look better with the some big polished mothers. Now I'm anxious to get some of that new smoked gray glass I've got installed.  Rich

Jeff Norwell

That is Beautiful Rich!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

shopratwoody

Really looks good Rich. The glass will look good also. I was gonna use the smoke too, but it's illegal here.
With the sound of my car and my driving record I went with orig. tint. :001:
I hate blocksanding!

Zapato

Quote from: shopratwoody on 2011-06-13 11:26
Really looks good Rich. The glass will look good also. I was gonna use the smoke too, but it's illegal here.
With the sound of my car and my driving record I went with orig. tint. :001:

Wow! Some things never change. someone explain to me how smoke tinted glass becomes illegal but every limousine out there has tint so dark that no one can see in. If the argument was to protect law enforcement officers then every "celebrity" riding in a limo is riding in a moving violation. back in the late 60s early 70s the lowrider clubs in So-Cal made this case in court and won, seems they were singled out for tinted glass.

But anyway Rich your car is looking great, hope mine comes out half as good. There's still time to add some torch red to the exterior if you change your mind. It can always end up with a traditional 2 tone paint job. I know I shouldn't be giving you any second thoughts but somehow know you've had them.

Also like your idea of larger wheels but myself love 5 spoke wheels. Check out any of the mustang magazines and you'll find the torq-thrust looking factory wheels in 3-4 finishes and several sizes for around $125 each.

Zap- :unitedstates :felix:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57AGIN

Rich:

I'm really impressed with the job you are doing with your 57.  A much more extensive project than I'm doing and beyond that YOU ARE DOING IT ALL YOURSELF.  I'm sure that will add considerably to your pride of ownership in the completed car.  It is really looking great.  I'll bet that you like me can hardly wait to see the finished product and getting the car back on the road.

Bob
57 AGIN

tarheel57

Looking good Rich,you are going to have a beautiful car.Nice job .  Tarheel57 :001:

RICH MUISE

Thanks for all the great comments. It's been very gratifying and a huge relief as I've had that big question mark hovering over my head for the past 5 years...was I going to like it, and was it  going to be good enough to make me happy.I was never expecting perfect..just something good enough to be proud of it.

Zap...I'll check out those mags for wheels. My color plans since I changed to the grey included some Torch Red in the form of a flame job coming off the nose of the car and all the way back to the rear wheels. It's a final decision I'll make down the road after the car is all painted and assembled. If I really like the grey alone I may just leave it...but I keep looking at a pic of a pickup truck that was in the Goodguys Gazette a while back (I gave them their due credits, James lol). Probably the prettiest flame job I've ever seen. It would be a hell of a first flame job challenge for me..it's a pretty complicated layout and a lot of shadows, shading, highlights, ect., but it could be so awesome on a '57.   Rich

RICH MUISE

So...what do you guys think of a flame jobs like this on a 2 dr custom?
I like the look of the base paint as the top layer of flame color...keeps it from getting to busy, and I must say I usually don't like tribal flames, (the bottom ones with the reverse licks),but I do like these...for my taste they have a great flow and balance of width vs. length.
What's real interesting about these particular flames is that what looks like the top layer of flames I'm guessing was just a clever and well carried out use of the base paint. I'm probably not explaining that correctly..I guess what I mean is that it's probable the top layer of flames were not actually painted after the bottom layer..the base paint was just artfully masked of to look that way and later highlighted and shadowed.

Zapato

believe you described it right, could have been done either way, does the clear you used so far allow paint above it? I personally love flames better than anything else custom paint wise, as long as they're not ghost flames. Too much work for so little effect. Go for it practice on a junk panel you can usually grab a fender, hood or door at most body shops. Hardest part will be laying out smooth flowing curves, also take time to practice your shading technique. bad shading can kill an otherwise beautiful set of flames,

Zap- :unitedstates:

and again car is looking great!
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57AGIN

Rich:

Here are a couple of "flamed" 57's from Southern Calif.

Bob
57 AGIN

Frankenstein57

Rich, funny that this popped up, I just made the decision not to save the flame job on my ranchero. I like a good flame job, especially ghost flames. But my car came with a fresh paint job, wouldn't have been my call to go with the flames. I like the look of that dodge pickups flames over silver, It will look great no matter what you chose.  Mark

RICH MUISE

Quote from: shopratwoody on 2011-06-13 11:26
With the sound of my car and my driving record I went with orig. tint. :001:meant to comment on this the other day...The glass I'm using is a tinted smoke grey not any darker than what comes out of Detroit on almost everything nowadays..not the real dark, can't see inside, tint. That tint can't be illegal in cal is it?