News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

AOD Trans conversion

Started by Custom_Shelby, 2016-01-23 14:16

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

Jack,

Thanks for your comments.  I could speculate on the shift problem, but I will be happy if it just continues to work properly.  The manager at the transmission shop wanted to give me an additive for the transmission, but his stock was out.  So, I went and bought a bottle of the recommended magic juice.  It's "Lubegard."  I need to drain a little fluid before putting this in as I am already slightly overfilled.  I plan to drive the car to my Wednesday lunch group which will put about 50 miles on it.  Mostly interstate driving.

I've had the video ready for quite a while but wanted to wait until all was working well.  I did make two changes from what I started with.  The small platform that I used to mount the TV cable and the accelerator linkage went away and I just used a small bracket to hold the TV cable on the original mounting bracket.  I also bought a Lokar shift linkage kit that was nicer that the one I built although I still use the bell crank that I made.  It shifts fine with the stock column shifter.

Rich

gasman826

A quart over fill in the AOD is recommended.

ROKuberski

Recommended by who and what are their qualifications to make this recommendation?  That is not something that I am inclined to do.

On the down side, it's shifting through all the gears, but not as smoothly as I would like.  I still have a pressure gauge connected to the TV port and have been watching it as I drive.  I have delayed shifts when the pressure is high, which is what I would expect.  I have not yet put in the LubeGard additive.  That will have to wait until this weekend.

Rich

Quote from: gasman826 on 2020-08-19 11:30
A quart over fill in the AOD is recommended.

ROKuberski

Well, the pressure problem hit the wall.  75 PSI in all gears, no changes no matter what I did.

Monday I called the shop and they could not get me in until Wednesday.  I asked if they would work on the valve body if I brought it in.  Yes was the answer, so I had it to them right after lunch, got it back today before noon and was driving the car by 2:00pm.  They did find minor issues with two valves which evidently had a major impact on the high pressure issue.

It now appears to be working properly.  All this crap over a minor(major) issue with the valve body.  I sure hope that this is THE END of the story!

Ford Blue blood

and they lived happily ever after.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Lynn

ROKuberski

I'll get some miles on the car today and again on Friday.  After all this crap, I want to give it a chance to either do well or fail.  I need reliability too.

Next project is to replace the valve guide seals and it looks like I have a leaky wheel cylinder on the left rear.  Got to check that out too.

I've only put about 13,000 miles on this car since I bought it in 2012.  I've had it towed home three times during this period.  Once right after I got it home when rust in the gas tank clogged up the fuel filter (I completely replaced the entire fuel system - tank and all,) not long after that I had two flats in one afternoon (resulting in a new set of tires) and after installing my EFI system, my new high pressure fuel pump failed.  The joys of driving a 63 year old car.  You know, after driving my '37 Chevy, the '57 Fairlane seemed like a giant leap forward into the "modern" era for vehicles.  It will cruise down the highway and keep up with traffic, it's got A/C, PB, PS, EFI, Automatic W/OD, Seat Belts, Radio (original), Radial Tires, and - the clock works.  What more could you ask for? WI-FI, GPS?  That's for the next owner to deal with.   

djfordmanjack

Rich, great to hear that they found the problem(s)!  Do not fear, the 57 will get you places.
imho the 57 Fords were 10-20 yrs ahead of their time. They handle and drive solid as a rock and will easily make up to any 1970s or even 1980s fullsize car. In addition to that, they are just pretty, have a neat dash and speedo to look at, have extremely comfortable seats and armrests, great fresh air vents and the wraparound windshield provides that 1950s Cinemascope visibility ! :003: Enjoy !

ROKuberski

Thanks for your comments.

I've had an opportunity to do more driving and it seems to be working fine in all gears.  Shifts may be just a touch later than I like, so I will do some tweaking with the TV cable, but all in all, it is doing what I want. 

It's taken so long to get to this point, I can hardly believe it.  The added acceleration in first gear alone is worth it. 

Rich

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

Just for the heck of it, I looked back at my posts to see the date that I ordered the adapter kit.  It was February 19, it's been a 189 day project.

Rich

fdlrc

Glad to hear. Ever need an excuse to put on a few miles, drop on down to Colorado Springs. Let's grab lunch, Les.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

ROKuberski

Les,

Say, that sounds like a plan.  I have a sister living just to the north of the Pulpit Rock open space, exit 149 I think.  Where are you located?  I'm in NW Arvada.

Rich

fdlrc

I'm in east central Colorado Springs. I can drive and meet anywhere. Great Mexican restaurant In Monument. Sorry it took so long to see your response, got a puppy on Saturday, been busy around here.

Just call or text me at 719-351-6125. Les
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

ROKuberski

Les,

Until the virus mess is under control, we've minimized our contact with others.  Although I have no health issues, I am in the over 70 male group and feel that it is prudent to wait for a while yet for more social contact. 

The car's running well and I'd like to stretch it's legs, but I am resisting for now.  Our time will come, but not yet.

Thanks for the offer,

Rich