News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Quickest way to remove Dashboard

Started by Swank, 2019-01-11 17:35

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

I've replaced three headlight switches (1 Thunderbird and 2 '57 Customs) with repop switches.  All have worked, socket fit correctly, and instrument light dimming feature worked.  Not one of them can I get the button to release the shaft.  The shafts go in and out of OEM switches as many times as I want.  ...just sayin' you might not want to practice fitting the shaft on a repop switch.

Tom S

Quote from: gasman826 on 2019-01-29 11:33
I've replaced three headlight switches (1 Thunderbird and 2 '57 Customs) with repop switches.  All have worked, socket fit correctly, and instrument light dimming feature worked.  Not one of them can I get the button to release the shaft.  The shafts go in and out of OEM switches as many times as I want.  ...just sayin' you might not want to practice fitting the shaft on a repop switch.
That really sucks. I assume that these repops came with the shaft & knob. No?
If you needed to replace them for some reason you'd need to cut the shaft off so you could unscrew the bezel.
At some point Ford started using a light switch with a built in circuit breaker. I have replaced several of them on my '72-'74 Econolines & a couple times on the '71 Bronco.  Once that breaker starts cutting off the headlights it just keeps getting weaker & cycling more frequently & eventually stays open permanently.
In any case I started saving the old switches since I could change out just the old rheostat/dimmer if the one I was using got damaged.  (I'm calling the white ceramic item a rheostat.)
Sometimes that spring lookin' rheostat thing surrounded by the ceramic breaks or gets twisted up.
I only mention all this because it looks like the same thing can be done with our '57's switches.
One thing is clear, our '57's light switches are more reliable than those mid 1970s switches.
Never had '56 or '57 Ford headlights die in the middle of the night on a lonely road 50 miles from anything like has happened in my van.
Here's one of those 1970s light switches.

ROKuberski

When I first got my car, the headlight switch worked, but the rheostat did not work, all dash lights were not working.  I found that I could take the switch apart, clean all the contacts using a generic electronic cleaner and DEOXIT, put it back together and it still works.  Nothing was broken on mine, just decades of crud on it.  That was 7 years ago and I did not take any pictures. 

Swank

Ok, since i have the dash out, i am planning to replace the windlace, cause it's a mess and falling out all over the place.  It's pretty self explanatory how it runs by the kick panel and around the dash and up the window column.   That part across the top of the windows though, ...its got the lace and the headliner stuffed under the track together.

Is it possible to install the lace now and the headliner at a later date?
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

RICH MUISE

Sure, that's the sequence anyway.........windlace then headliner. Consider attaching/screwing wood strips up and around to give you something to staple the winlace to. I say up and around, but I don't remember if your working on a sedan or hardtop. If I remember correctly, 3/4 thick wood was the right thickness.
Found some pics that will sorta show what I was talking about. It's my carpet install thread, but if you find the pic looking thru the pas. door towards the steerig, zoom in on it and you'tt see the windlace stappled to the wood below the dash and at the A pillar
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=3518.msg21046#msg21046
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Swank

I have the fordor sedan.   I confess i havent taken anything apart yet,  probably on the list for tomorrow.   The part above the window is what i was talking about.  It looks pretty tight in there.  Guessing the windlace might be attached to something else back there besides the tack strip?
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

RICH MUISE

Found my thread on headliner/windlace install. This is not probably what an upholstery shop would do, and I didn't have all of the oem brackets anyway. It worked out real well for me. It got the headliner above the door nice and straight. Note the windlace is stapled to the wider wood strip, then the aluminum strip is attached to the wood at the top, leaving the bottom edge of the aluminum a little springy so the headliner can be tucked under it with a putty knife.
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=3085.msg18094#msg18094
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

How unfortunate that the windlace is the first thing to wear out.  The windlace is shot but the headliner is still serviceable.  If the headliner is as old as the windlace, it will likely not survive removal and re-install after new windlace.  Many pre-'40s  cars used wood tack stripes.  '40s cars used a composite, fan belt like material.  I was tipped to use PVC.  I used 5/8"X5/8" PVC trim from a builders supply which I glued and screwed (in high stress places).  Works great...a little heat and it conforms to the contours.  Another issue is the thickness.  It varies from 7/16 to 5/8".  The PVC shaves to thickness very easy, doesn't split or rot.

PIC is the only example but it shows counter sunk screws is a sharp corner.

Swank

Got all the tack strips off and the ratty old windlace.  My question now is, ...where do i find these little clips?   Big boxy ones hold the windlace, small winged ones held the tack strip. Had a few big ones rusted up and im not seeing them on any of the usual websites.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

gasman826

There is a reason to go with tack strip vs clips.  Clips are few and far between and expensive when you find them.  Unless you use OEM style windlace with WIRE in the material with the clips, the windlace will prematurely fail.  Most windlace does not have the wire in the material.  The clips are placed inches apart and put a lot of stress on one little spot.  With tack strip and lots of staples, the stress is spread out over the entire windlace tail. 

Swank

Ok, yeah, the clips are a bit sparse.  Probably give the pvc a try.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

lalessi1

Eugene you might try these guys, they have a LOT of stuff I haven't seen anywhere else. In any case they are worth a look!

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/
Lynn

Swank

Thanks, that one wasnt on my list.   I'll dig through it better this evening.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)