News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

efi swap update pics

Started by Amblewagon, 2009-09-30 20:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Amblewagon

I finally have most off the efi swap done and at least running,but I have not driven it yet I have some odds and ends to tiddy up.The engine is a 1990 5.0 Ho with ado.I found the engine and trans on craigslist with 39000 miles on itI swapped 3.73 into the nine inch so it should go down the road nice.I put four wheel discs on it a few years back.During this swap I did Ricks rack setup and I'm also doing a supercooler from vintage air.I have all the seats out right now and cleaning the floor pan and installing a simular product like dyanamat.I can't wait to drive it hopefully there won't be to many bugs to work out,but there always is.
Joe

Amblewagon

Heres some of the exhaust that I did,I still have to run the tail pipes.It's all 2.5" with flowmaster 2 chambers.I'll include some of the interior.
I'll include one of the rack also.
Joe

Frankenstein57

Joe, looks good. I'd like to see it.  Mark 414-303-3681

Amblewagon

Mark no problem call my cell when you can stop,over it's located in West Allis right now. 111th Lincoln.I've been working on it during the and some nights.
Joe 414-573-0656

hrsky

Hi.  What type of steering column and steering wheel are you using.  Thanks HR

Amblewagon

The column is from ididit I don't recall the length I orderd it over two years ago.The wheel is just to move the car around the shop it's off a 56 chevy (forgive me) lol I want to run a ford wheel of some sorts but it's a gm style column.
Joe

hivolt5.0

May I ask where you mounted the computer and what you did with any unused wiring from computer harness?

Amblewagon

Sorry I haven't checked in in awhile,I mounted the computer inside the car,passenger side on the firewall.It's right about where the cut out where the inside heater box would have been.I hade to take out the factory heater and fresh air to make way for the vintage air unit.

RICH MUISE

I can see where your floor tunnel looks like it was reworked on the passenger side. Did you have to do this to make room for the AOL? I've heard people say it'll fit without altering your tunnel,and others say it won't.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Amblewagon

The floor was not touched at all,you might be confusing it with the dynamat like material I put down for noise and heat,but the floor was 100% untouched.
Joe

RICH MUISE

Looking at the interior pic, I guess the light reflecting off the dynamat at the slight buldge on the right side near the toeboard made it looked more pronounced than it actually is.

RICH MUISE

I realize this is an old topic, however I was wondering what the engine came out of. Or more specifiacally what vehicles had the pre-modular 5.0 ho as an option. I want to end up with a 4.6 dohc eventually but after following r claiborn's posts on his install, I'm thinking of a simpler route to get my car on the road sooner while I'm saving for the 4.6. ALSO AM i CORRECT IN ASSUMING THE PRE-MODULAR 5.0 IS THE SAME ENGINE AS THE 302 WITH THE NEW LITER DESIGNATIONS THEY WENT TO IN THE 80'S.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-08-29 13:22
I realize this is an old topic, however I was wondering what the engine came out of. Or more specifiacally what vehicles had the pre-modular 5.0 ho as an option. I want to end up with a 4.6 dohc eventually but after following r claiborn's posts on his install, I'm thinking of a simpler route to get my car on the road sooner while I'm saving for the 4.6. ALSO AM i CORRECT IN ASSUMING THE PRE-MODULAR 5.0 IS THE SAME ENGINE AS THE 302 WITH THE NEW LITER DESIGNATIONS THEY WENT TO IN THE 80'S.
mustangs had the 5L ho and mark vii had them also.the 5L [302]is very similar from 1968 on.they went roller cam on the cars in 86 the trucks a little later.they changed the balance in about 82.most parts will swap,depending on the year of engine.i am hoping to do my 4cam swap over the winter for about $2500[i have about $1200 in it now] 

Ford Blue blood

Rich the 5.0 HO in Mustangs was up through 95.  The MK 7 was an HO as well and the Bird 5.0 was HO in all respects except the intake (lower to clear the Bird hood and more restrictive) and the exhaust system.  The Crown Vic/Mercury Marque/Continental/truck 5.0 was a lower output speed density system.  Not a bad system, just not as flexible as the mass air systems.  I put the speed density 5.0 in a 66 Falcon Ranchero with 5-speed and 3:23 gears and got an honest 32 on the road at 65.  Useing 72/73 F-150 302 mounts makes it nearly a bolt in with no exhaust clearance problems.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the info Gary and Bill. Did the vehicles mentiond above come with an AOD, or AODE? It is my understanding that the 4r70w was a lincoln 4.6 tranny only at this timeframe (pre96)
I think I need to start a new post comparing this and the 4.6 posts   Rich