News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Finally

Started by clubcoupe57, 2010-03-17 08:46

Previous topic - Next topic

clubcoupe57

After 6 six years of of putting back together and wanting to sell several times, i can see the light at the end of the tunnel  the club coupe went to the body shop Yeserday!!! I hope to pose pics when done in a 3months, where is everyone finding bumpers at, I need a new  Back one thanks, Mike, P.S. whats wrong with this pic!

jdh6fan

Hmmm, what I notice is the bowtie on the wheel cap.

JPotter57

Nova/Camaro sub?  Looks cool   :hurricane:
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

I was also wondering about sources for replated bumpers. Has anybody had any experiences with the e-bay sellers? There seems to be a slew of them in  the L.A. area, and i'm wondering if it's the same plating shop using differnet e-bay names because of bad reputations. I know Paul's plating is one of the best, has any one used them or another shop they're happy with? Price? It's usually the front bumpers you see on e-bay, but I think I saw a rear bumper on there last night.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

wolfpupsdad

i bought a rear bumper for my ranchwagon a few years back and was nice  needed rechroming , but wasn't bent or twisted or rusted out.
but as usual when buying off E-PAY buyer beware.
last week i thought i sold one of my custom bikes i built and the buyer never did pay for it ,i still have the bike and relisted it tho.
y'all be carefull out there most sellers are up front , a few will scam your butts .

4banger

I got my bumpers from Bumper Boys in California. Nice but not perfect. But I am satisfied. Paul's is 15 miles from my home. Had some work done. There work is outstanding. But not cheap. All there work is show chrome. You get what you pay for.

Bubba

Bumper Boys is usually cheaper than having a bumper re-chromed by Paul's, but Paul's work is absolutely perfect show quality, but it depends upon what shape the bumper you send them is in.
Here's a price that I got from BB's for a front bumper for a 57-63A "Price $400 exchange or $480
outright. Ups is approx. $120".  If I recall correctly Paul's won't give you an exact quote until they have your bumper in hand. Hope this helps.

57AGIN

Guys:

In the last couple of weeks I, too have been searching for a shop in the LA area to re-chrome my bumpers & do a little restoration on the grill.  I was quoted $500 - 600 per bumper from a shop in Santa Ana.  That really blew me away.  Just a couple of years ago the quotes I had received when checking were several hundred lower.

Rick has turned me on to another shop (The Bumper Shop) located in LA that he saw at the Long Beach Swap Meet last Sat.  He and I will probably be going there tomorrow to check it out.  I'll let you know what we find out from our visit.  They have a web page, www.thebumbpershop.com.

Bob
57AGIN

Bubba

Frankenstein57

If you buy off ebay, try to use paypal. If what you buy is misrepresented, paypal will refund your $$$. Then you have to ship it back. If the seller won't take paypal, check his seller ratings, and ask why not?  Mark

tarheel57

I have heard that some of those chrome shops in california are getting their plating done across the border in mexico were the chemical regulations are very few,which makes the cost a lot cheaper.But the quality is not there.I know of at least three friends that have bought bumpers from the Bumper Boys in california within the last five years that now wished they didnt because after about 1 1/2  to 2 years they start dulling out and getting a tarnished look to them.Like some of the other guys said,you get what you pay for! :006:

wolfpupsdad

i've heard the same thing, i know that sence the epa and the rest of our govermental big brothers have stuck almost impossible regs on the plating industry 70% of what wasout there 15 years ago have closed doors.
here in georgia we have several platers and over the years on one project or another i have used i think all of em , at one time. by far the best is dallas plating in dallas georgia.

57tudor

Well, here's my nickel's worth about "The Bumper Shop" and I'm sure Bob will chime in when he gets a chance. Bob and I hooked up last Friday around 10am and made a bomb run to the place. As soon as we got in the generial area, It looked like TJ, Mexico,  a real S%#@ hole. After finding the address, there was a beat up catering truck parked in front of the place with a bunch of non green card people gathered around the truck. The front door and windows to the bumper shop was covered in rod iron, chain, and the door was probably welded up. We asked, where is the bumper shop? one dude said in the alley! in the alley? See! So off we went. We found the alley that was full of trash, homeless people with shopping carts, and I'm sure the street sweeper hasn't rolled through in years. But there it was, the bumper shop in the alley, a hole in the wall. We parked in the handycap parking that was poorly marked and got out. At the "alley front" of the store was two girls that looked like they were on their way out to work the streets and some dude that claimed he was in charge. We asked to see the manager that quoted the prices at the swapmeet. He said he is never hear, only once in a while! Great! Bob said can you give me an estimate to chrome the grill, the guy was unable or unwilling to. I asked him if he had the bumpers in stock as they claimed, same day exchange. No, he had nothing! He also said the bumpers were $450.00 each, not $190.00 as stated by the manager. Yaw, right! And a week's wait to get your bumpers chromed. Bet they send them to TJ...LOL.  So we got the heck out of there, dodging all the trash and homeless in the alley. So needless to say, we are still on the hunt for a good chrome shop with good customer service, and good English speaking, down to earth people that wont charge you an arm and a leg and do good quality chroming. We took the Harbor freeway to the coast and headed east into the Seal Beach area for some lunch in the marina. If anybody knows of a good chrome shop in the Orange Co. Ca. area that fits our criteria, give us a shout.
Rick
57 Tudor

KidKourier

Bob,  If I remember right the two are related--sons are Bumper Boys--father runs The Bumper Shop and they flipflop on Pomona/Long Beach but I could be wrong.The guy that's on ebay is out of Lancaster in the upper desert area and has all models advertised at one time or another.If your looking for a good chrome shop,try Verns Chrome Plating in Gardena between the105/110 freeways onWest El Segundo Blvd,www.vernschromeplating.com--a friend of mine had his bumpers and other pieces chromed over 5 yrs. ago and still look brand new. You also might try some of the lowriders car shows,they seem to have great chrome/brass plating on their cars and could hook you up! KID :006:

4banger

I am not defending Bumper Boyz, but my front & back bumpers are fine after 5 years. Order was put in by phone from Pa. to Calif. Met them at a swap meet. They uncovered the bumpers for me to inspect. I did not have to accept them. I did because they were ok with me. I also bought a bumper for my Bird 10 yrs ago from them, which was fine. That lead me to buy again for my 300. I did not have a bad experience like some of you are saying.