News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Air condtioning ducts ????????

Started by Amblewagon, 2010-04-05 11:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Amblewagon

On 57s with the ac option where were the ducts located?I'm putting a vintage air setup in mine but I don't want to really cut the dash if I don't have to.
Thanks Joe

shopratwoody

Wouldn't they have been an underdash unit? Self contained sorta? Vents in underdash unit.
I hate blocksanding!

Amblewagon

I'm not sure you may be right.I was hoping they had some side vents but I can't rememeber what they used.

57chero

I remember seeing a 57 with ac that had  special inside winsheild trim where the defrosters come out.

Dlandau

Thats right,my skyliner has the factory Select Air.. complete with the emblem on the passenger door,it has the heater core and the AC core in the same area under the dash. The vents are up where the defroster comes out. It has selector switches to control the flow.

Amblewagon

Does it blow up on the window only or back towards the passengers?Thanks for the replys

KidKourier

Amblewagon,  Scrool down to the other "Generals" section in the Technical part and check out the AC question there,one of the members has a Select Aire system in his '57 and could tell you what you need. KID

glen b henderson

I have one of the special dash vents somewhere, if I can find it, I will take a pic and post. I pulled it from a rotted out fairlane many years ago. They look pretty neat and I think could be made to work with a modern underdash unit.
Freedom is not Free

Ford Blue blood

Glen you wouldn't happen to have the blower housing?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Zapato

Glen, I'm still interested in that vent if you ever find it and we can agree on a price. :burnout:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Dlandau

AmbleWagon,
the vents have as a selector switch on both sides that you can select AC/ Defroster or Off . If I could figure out how to post a picture  :dumbass:I would send you one. Let me know my email is Doug.Landau1@gmail.com

Doug

Ford Blue blood

Amblewagon not sure if the dash itself is the same for the A/C cars or not.  Just finished tearing down an A/C car and have not had a chance to compare the non-A/C dash I have to it.  The vent on the top of dash and the "Select air" panel controller are the outward signs (glancing) that the car is a factory air car.  Putting an after market unit in and matching the dash vents should be fairly easy as the factory units (both heat only and A/C) take up a butt load of room.  There are two seperate vent tubes for the fatory unit, a rather large one that serves the left 2/3s of the dash and a smaller one the hits the right 1/3rd.  The large one is fiberglass and cardboard the smaller one is rubber stapled to a metal frme that bolts to the dash.  I think the stock defrost tubes could be modified easily to give you air and the "look".
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

cool57

Quote from: glen b henderson on 2010-04-06 06:35
I have one of the special dash vents somewhere, if I can find it, I will take a pic and post. I pulled it from a rotted out fairlane many years ago. They look pretty neat and I think could be made to work with a modern underdash unit.
I have "Classic Auto Air" and someday I want to adapt the factory Select Air vents and controls that I have to it, I haven't yet found a door emblem.
P.S. Glen, got the doors, nice-thanks!

glen b henderson

Bill, not sure if I have any other parts for the A/C or not, don't really know what it would look like. You are welcome to come look.

Zapato, call me or send me a pm, we'll work something out. I found the vent, but camera is on the blink. It will need total restore, surface rust, but worth saving.

Cool 57, glad the doors made it, and hope they will work for you.
Freedom is not Free

Ford Blue blood

Glen, I will PM you with a picture.  It is real ugly looking!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero