News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Installiing a 4.6

Started by Mavaholic, 2007-05-20 08:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Mavaholic

QuoteBTW- If your speed sensor does not have a mechanical speedometer hookup, use one from a later SOHC MUST.
Actually I'm going to try to use the digital dash out of the Lincoln. BUt I will keep that in mind just incase it doesn't work. Got any more pictures of your set up?

Frankenstein57

Hey Kultulz, what have you got going on in the picture? Looks like a 57 frame , but whats up with the strutt suspension? Looks cool -but you got some splainin to do! thanks, Mark

KULTULZ

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2007-05-27 19:33

Hey Kultulz, what have you got going on in the picture? Looks like a 57 frame , but whats up with the strutt suspension? Looks cool -but you got some splainin to do! thanks, Mark

DISCLAIMER:

This is not my build. It is a buddy's and he is from WV so certain liberties he has taken are now understood...

Both of us are (and always have been) certified 57 FORD FREAKS. Now he always had a good job and as a result, became use to the ride of MARK VII/VIII. He wanted to build one last nice ride and got this crazy idea he wants the ride as nice as his air-ride MARK VII. So he finds an engine cradle from a 83 CONT and grafts it onto the 57 frame. He thinks he will have the smooth ride the strut suspension offered on the CONT. He now also has disc brake/power rack. He sets a 72 351C into it and it is coming along fairly nicely (expert body man).

FAST FORWARD-

He has this nice 95 MARK VIII. Beautiful. He takes the notion he wants the powertrain in the 57. He parts it out. That is what you see now. He then starts going through the frame. Decides he wants 4W disc. Buys a GM changeover kit.

He has put new floors and quarters on it (CUSTOM body) and is prepping the body to sit back down on it and color it.

While not 100% dedicated FORD, at least outwardly it will appear stock.

I will try and get some photos together.

-MY ORIGIONAL CONCERN OVER THIS WORK-

Now don't get me wrong, hell of a nice guy. I guess he is not just as purist as I am.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

Frankenstein57

Hey I think its COOL,as long as you don't drop a chevy small block in that thing, its all good. I have a colapsed rear frame by the rear spring shackle on my ranchero, my racecar buddy wants to whack the rear frame, and re-stub it with a 4-bar suspension. A couple of other ideas I have are installing a short roll bar behind the seat, to mount the belts on. I'm also looking at a fuel cell to solve the small gas tank problem, all sorts of upgrades. The way I see it, if your'e not going totaly stock- mix in some technology have fun, Mark

wolfpupsdad

well don't look now , but theres a 57 sedan delivery on e-bay with a 350 small nlock chevy in it. bid is up to $12,000.00 and the reserve aint been met

KULTULZ

I realize that I am anal. Even the sight of a STANT radiator cap or INTERSTATE battery will get me going. This HEI distributor conversion (DUI) really ruffles my fur.

As for modifying a damaged frame, there is nothing wrong there if done with taste.

Just don't take a nice car and do unnatural things to it, please!
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

Frankenstein57

So you don't think a 95 mark 8 with a 57 body on it is un natural huh?

wolfpupsdad

what unnatural to me is taking sbc and bbc and transplanting em into fords

Ford Blue blood

Ford into a Ford is good.....if you have to change the engine out.  I do make the chebby guys cringe with my 36 Chevy, it has a 351C/FMX :003:, Must II and Granada rear!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

wolfpupsdad

cool, wonder what the chebby gang would say about a 55 chebby wit a 427 side oiler in it , hehehehehe

Frankenstein57

I'm all for that boys, Ford in a Ford. What is unnatural to me are Japanese cars with American flags stuck on the back, just seems wrong to me. don't care where they build em.   later, Mark

wolfpupsdad

Marc

I heard a story once about a guy who had a 57 chevy with a ford motor, I think it was a 351. Took it to a show, and by the time he got back, it had been severely keyed by some annoyed spectators. Don't know if it's a true story or not, but going by the reactions I get from the scrub guys around here when I mention dropping a ford in a chevy, I don't have a hard time believing it. Hey, if it's good for fords, it should also be good to return the favor! 
I know for a fact there's a guy running a mopar-powered camaro at Lebanon Valley from time to time.  :003:

The way I look at it, do whatever you want to your car if it makes you happy. If you build it to please others, chances are you won't enjoy it. I get annoyed with the whole "chevy in a ford" thing too. It's the cheap & lazy way out. Why spend big $$$ to make your car stand out, only to drop in the cookie cutter billet-laden sbc abomination.

I don't buy into the whole "it's less expensive & more dependable" routine either. HP costs money, regardless of the brand name. Despite what some chevy guys believe, a stock 350 doesn't make 500 horsepower just by flipping over the air cleaner. Dependable? I've run my 312 for quite a few years, while some of my chevy compadres have been through a few rebuilds in the same time.

I'm long winded here, but I'll end with this: I know of a guy who's got a '56 t-bird with a 455 olds motor. You should hear this thing! He brings it to the Southbury car show every September, and when he pulls in, the t-bird club practically faints, but he did a nice job with it. Old-school hot-rod. Loud! I'll admit I get a kick out of that thing.

KULTULZ

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2007-05-29 21:34

So you don't think a 95 mark 8 with a 57 body on it is un natural huh?

Yes and no...  :002:
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

wolfpupsdad

hell i know a guy that put a 500 inch caddy in a 65 plymouth and it wouldn't surprise me to see a SOHC 427 in a shoe box chevy. if it anit been done yet it will be at some point in time. thats just part of hot rodding. a ol girl friend of mine in high school brother dumped 401 buick in a 54ford.
just because i don't personal like a certain car motor combo. don't give me the right to screw with a mans ride or him. thats why they call it hot rodding. different strokes for different folks