News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Installiing a 4.6

Started by Mavaholic, 2007-05-20 08:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Mavaholic

I made these brackets up using 1/4 steel plate. The studs are taper head bolts, countersunk and welded on the back side. With these plates, I can use the stock motor mounts. On the left side of the block, there is a casting ear that needs to be grounded off. There are a couple of minor mods that need to be done to the chassis. One is the long nuts that hold the upper A arm to the frame, where the shims are. You need to use a standard nut instead of the long ones that are on the car.  The second mod involves the upper a arms mounts. It is real easy and can be done on the car. I will show that in the next post.

Mavaholic

The A arm mount sticks out too far and interferes with the water outlet on the left front side, and exhaust manifold on the rear passenger side. I am using a 4.6 from a 93 Lincoln Towncar with stock exhaust manifolds. So if you use something else like headers, they may clear the passenger side. To modify the mount, all I did was remove the green shaded material with a cut off wheel. Then bent the lip, (pointed out by red arrows) so that it follows the yellow vertical line. Then re-weld it.

Mavaholic

For the transmission mount, I am using the Lincoln set up. The crossmember is a lot wider than the 57. Plus it has a double hump for exhaust pipe clearance.  I just cut it down, reflattened the ends, and drilled the holes. Then just made up some mounts and welded them to the frame. The Lincoln mounts the crossmember on rubber. I am sticking with that set up. Should help keep vibrations down.

Frankenstein57

what are your plans for a wiring harness on the efi motor ?   thanks, Mark

Mavaholic

I stripped a complete and running Towncar. So I have every stitch of wire from front to back. I plan on using all the electrical stuff from the Lincoln, including power seats, power mirrors, power windows, cruise control, & digital dash. I'm going to shorten the 8.8 and use that because it has disc brakes and a sway bar.

fomocochoptop

What type of transmission are you running.

KULTULZ

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2007-05-20 16:22

what are your plans for a wiring harness on the efi motor ?   thanks, Mark

The origional MARK VIII harness (engine and trans control)
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

Mavaholic

Yea, I'm using the original Lincoln AODE along with all the wiring harnesses. Its from a Towncar though, not a Mark VIII. I wish it were a Mark VIII.

fomocochoptop

Isn't there a sensor in the rear end that tells it when to change gears.  i would think that it being a different lenght it would affect the Shifting.  one of my buddies tried  using all the drive train off a 1996 Explorer and couldn't get it to shift properly so he used a AOD.  He had to changed so parts in the engine arear to accept the trans kickdown cable. thats the reason i'm asking.

Mavaholic

There are no sensors in the center section. The speed sensor is in the transmission. There are ABS sensors on the end of each axle but I will not be using the ABS system.

KULTULZ

Quote from: fomocochoptop on 2007-05-21 17:10

Isn't there a sensor in the rear end that tells it when to change gears.  i would think that it being a different lenght it would affect the Shifting.  one of my buddies tried  using all the drive train off a 1996 Explorer and couldn't get it to shift properly so he used a AOD.  He had to changed so parts in the engine arear to accept the trans kickdown cable. thats the reason i'm asking.

Yes. The PCM receives speed signal from the speed sensor to determine shift points. The PCM is set for whatever rear end ratio came in the car. So if one uses a different rear ratio, it will confuse the PCM and erratic shifting will occur.

The PCM has to be flashed for the new ratio. You can also remove emmission settings (to stop MIL) and recurve ignition and/or fuel trim.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

Mavaholic

QuoteYes. The PCM receives speed signal from the speed sensor to determine shift points.
So your saying I have to use the anti-lock sensors? If so then will I will have to use the ABS computer? As far as the ratio, I'm using the same rear so that will not be a problem.

KULTULZ

'
Quote from: Mavaholic on 2007-05-22 04:15

So your saying I have to use the anti-lock sensors? If so then will I will have to use the ABS computer? As far as the ratio, I'm using the same rear so that will not be a problem.

No. What I was describing is the determining of transmission shift points by the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). If you are using the Towncar rear asm., you should have no problem. He is using a 4.11 9".

BTW- If your speed sensor does not have a mechanical speedometer hookup, use one from a later SOHC MUST.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

Have you checked out -SULLIVAN PERFORMANCE-?

It is possible to manually carburate and ford the IGN (MSD) without the factory electronics.

-MODULAR IGNITION CONTROLLER-

-RON FRANCIS WIRING-

-MODULAR WIRING HARNESSES-

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960