News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Paint finally starting to go onto 57 AGIN

Started by 57AGIN, 2011-08-03 14:12

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Rich, James & everybody:

The waiting is finally over and paint is actually starting to be applied to my 57.  The first color being applied is the Pewter.  Santini tells me that the paint used actually has a little gold and blue tinge, which he says will both soften and complement the House of Color Tru-Blue & Magic-Blue mix.  Frankly, I can't tell one way or another, all I know is that it sure is different than the Colonial White that were on the parts before and most importantly I LIKE IT.  Here are a couple of photos taken yesterday.

Bob
57 AGIN

Ford Blue blood

Getting close to happy time!  Looking good!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Bob,those are looking great. I like that silver..I'm guessing with the gold he added to the silver, the color is a little warmer than it looks on my monitor. It's really hard getting accurate color renderings on the camera...particularly silvers....should look killer with that blue.
Do you know if he is using a sealer on the outer body panels? Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

Rich:

I'm almost positive he is using some kind of sealer, as he's talked about it a couple of times.  When I go over later today I'll ask.  Last night when I dropped by his shop, I found him sitting on a bucket hand sanding dash pieces (glove box cover, speaker cover, instrument cluster housing).  So progress on painting my 57 is still happening, even though he has about 8 or 9 other projects/insurance jobs underway at the same time.

Bob
57 AGIN

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

shopratwoody

Any descent paint shop uses a sealer. Hell, even I do. A lot of times they use a reduced
DP 90  or equivelant :004:
I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

Guys:

The final preparation of my 57's body is now done.  Santini sprayed the sealer on August 9th and I took a couple of photos of the car, still in the booth, and the basecoat/sealer he used.  I think this should answer the questions about the sealer used.  Pete said that as long as the sealer is applied less than 10 -12 hours from that of the color coat no additional sanding needs to be done.  Sure enough, when I came back on August 10, the painting was started.  (See the next set of photos)

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Guys:

Here is what the Pewter looks like on the body.  Wow, it's finally happening.  I took the side trim (behind the door to just in front of the tail light bezel) over to the paint shop this morning, so Sanitni can get the transition from Pewter to Blue just the way he wants it.

Bob
57 AGIN   

JPotter57

Getting close Bob.  If you dont mind, could you send the full res photos to my email?  I'd like to see the colors in some more detail....
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

James:

Be glad to.  I was hoping he'd have the blue on the top this morning when I went over to the shop.  When I left the shop last night Pete said he was going to try to paint the top later on.  Unfortunately, he didn't and the Pewter doesn't really contrast very much with the gray basecoat/sealer, it only looks like a different color of gray (much shinier and smoother).

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

looking great...got to be exciting..kinda like having a new woman! lol. Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

Thanks for the pics, that pewter looks awesome.  I am beginning to wonder how that would look as a twotone with white on my car?  I have seen a couple Customs with the smoke grey and colonial white.  In fact my last Custom 300 was that combo originally, not sure there is enough contrast though...  Your Custom 300 is looking killer though, Bob...Keep us posted ASAP.
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

James & all:

Still no Blue on the car, bummer.  I dropped all the side trim off at the shop yesterday and per Pete's request I gave him 4 fasteners and nylocks to put them on the car temporarily.  He wants to make sure everything is properly centered (tape just won't do).  He and I are also discussing what goes onto the car inside the Custom 300 side trim on the car from the hockey sticks to the front of the front fender.  He's vacillating between a painted on silver leaf treatment and a vinyl 3-dimensional engine turned tape he's used in the past.  He says that when you look at the vinyl engine turned tape, it really draws the eyes into the 3-dimensional image.  He says a decision on that needs to be made, so he can see how far into the door jams he will take the side trim theme.  Right now I'm open to either treatment, as the car is definitely going the resto-mod route not the restoration one. 

When I started on the project I'd never dreamed that decisions like that would ever have to be made.  This is sure a learning experience for me.

Bob
57 AGIN

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II