News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

mufflers

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2011-11-14 18:06

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

hi all,    i'm trying to make up my mind about what mufflers to get,  leaning towards   Flowmasters 40 series 2 chamber,   i don't want ticket cop busting loud,  but like the rap of the old days,   any opinions out there,   thanks   Jerry

shopratwoody

My guess for what you want would be loooong glaspack. 36 in or so. The flowmasters are
high performance and all and sound best on a big cu in motor. IMO
I hate blocksanding!

rmk57

I use Magnaflows on my 460 Custom. They sound great and don't lose horsepower like other big brand mufflers.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Zapato

Gerald, do a you tube search for Porter mufflers they should give you the old rap. Steel can filled with steel wool really a great sound.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

burns

I have 40 series Flowmasters on my 57. I like the "tin-e" sound they make espeacially with a decent camshaft. :canada:

shopratwoody

He's got a stock 312 and wants the old type sound. I'vae got a big motor also cam etc and I
like the flowmasters for my app but I don't think that's what Jerry wants.
I hate blocksanding!

geraldchainsaw

not quite stock,  has a mild 3/4  cam,   if that means anything.

4banger

How about Smitty's mufflers from Mac's

geraldchainsaw

theres smittys on there now

JimNolan

Jerry,
   I'm not much to give advice on mufflers, I haven't done so well choosing myself. But, I will tell you this. I had glass packs on my 57 once. I thought they were the neatest things I'd ever heard, just like the good old days. Around town they were great. I'd make'em cackle every chance I got. Then I started taking more trips with the car. It wasn't as much fun sitting there listening to that cackle mile after mile. Choose a muffler for how you're going to use the car most. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

geraldchainsaw

ok,    thanks for all the advise,   i have flowmasters on my 69 mach 1,  and it sounds great,   but thats a HP motor,   my 312 is more of a around town type car,  and Jims right about the noise,    and then theres the wife factor,    and guess who wins out 95% of the time,   thanks again,    jerry

burns

very true on the sound over distance driven. the flowmasters have a drone that really gets to me after an hour or so. I know the magnaflow's don't do it as much yet are a straight through design.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2011-11-16 07:27
and then theres the wife factor,    and guess who wins out 95% of the time,   thanks again,    jerry

Back in the Navy days she was known as CinCHOUSELANT (or PAC).....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

BAMA_57

Gerald - Are you not happy with the Smittys?

"theres smittys on there now"
'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer

JPotter57

I had found a set of near NOS Thrush round mufflers, the painted ones with the bird I liked so well.  I bid them up to $155, then gave up.  They ended up selling for about $170, more than I was willing to pay for what was a $15 each muffler....Ebay sucks, man...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.