News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

morfing a 58 custom into a 57 custom 300

Started by 57 imposter, 2011-11-24 13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

Got the car back from the body shop yesterday, they did all the finish body work and put to in Feather-fill. I will get it jammed and get the doors and trunk re hung and it will be ready for blocking.. I installed door seals over the weekend, that is an awful job in 90 degree heat, the glue sets faster than you can work with it. If they will just stick and the doors shut, I will be a happy guy. I am pretty pleased with the way my mis-matched parts frenched tail lights came out. I think I pretty much got the look a was after. They are actually tunneled 1/2" further than I wanted but it was going to be more work than it was worth to change them so Ill just be happy with what I got.

wv 57s forever

looks good.

1 question is that a stock gas tank seems the neck sticks out a lot more than mine?

Ecode70D

Doug
     You are doing a great job.   Keep on working on the car.  They always take time, but time will pass no matter what you are doing.  You have something to show for what you are doing.
Jay

57 imposter

The fuel tank is a fuel injection tank from Bob Drake.. I thought the same thing but with the license plate on it looks correct however it rests on the gas cap instead of the rubber bumpers. not noticeable, visually.

57chero

Looks like you will be using 58 side trim ?

gasman826

taillights look great!!!  That's what custom work should be.  Most people won't notice and they don't matter.  The few that matter notice something was done be they're not sure what was done.

57 imposter

I am going to just use the lower trim an not the piece that goes on the door and front fender. initially i won't use the gold inserts. once I see how that works, I can add them fairly easily. I looked for some 57 side trim but had no luck and my stainless is in really good shape so just changed it a bit and am hoping for the best.

RICH MUISE

Excellent!! Keep up the good progress and the good work Doug!! Like the tailights alot.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 imposter

Sometimes I didn't thing it would ever happen but last Saturday, we finally got paint on. Wish it was as close to being done as it looks but will keep plugging away and it will happen. Still planning to take it south for Spring training in March.

junior58

Very nice but I'm a bit confused - is it yellow or cream? Either way, it is a great milestone to reach.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

57 imposter

78 Cadillac Colonial yellow.  Florescent lights make it look off.

RICH MUISE

I see you finally got your computer to let you in!! Car looks great, Doug. I was going to ask the same color question as Junior. I love pale yellow...good choice, and once again, an outstanding job on that FIFTY EIGHT. I think folks tend to forget it's not a '57.
Connie and I are headed west Wendsday...a day earlier than expected. Hope you have the time and weather to make it to Texas in March.

junior58

How to improve a 58? Make it a 57!
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Zapato

looks great!

ZAP- :unitedstates:

went back and gave it a better look over, love the way you deseamed the front clip. looks like you must be planning on using just the spear of the 58 trim. as someone who punches and loves louvers wondering why did you only punched the back half of the hood? just curious not criticizing.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Doug...forgot about your Aerostar springs I think you said you had installed with the dropped spindles. If they are installed, and your engine is in, etc, would you post a pic of the ride height when it's off the roll-about casters?