News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

need options/opinions on a muffler/exhaust setup...

Started by meteor, 2007-07-18 20:57

Previous topic - Next topic

meteor

Its a mild custom, ranch wagon, low, two-tone paint, steelies and wide whites...running a stock '91 mustang 302.

Can anyone suggest a good exhaust system and muffler? I'm looking for an agressive sound but not obnoxious, maybe some ideas on a period correct sound?

thanks all.
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

bagboy

I have 57 rw with 69 351w stock 4v .I just used mufflers for 69 torino. Muffler shop built duel w/ crossover.Been12-13 yrs stilll good  shape.Nice sound,not to loud.

Ford Blue blood

The old 65 Corvair Turbo mufflers are one of the great sounding set ups.  They have been duplicated by Thrush and Wagoner and I'm sure more.  With an H pipe and 2 1/4" pipes they are really good.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

meteor

Is anyone here running Smithy's? have opinions on them? has anyone installed the new flowmaster Hushpower mufflers?

thanks for the feedback so far...

cool57

Marc

I've been running a pair of Smitty's for somewhere around 8 years now. No problems, and they sound nice when I step on it.

smurfee

I'm running a complete FLOWMASTER  system from front to rear on my 302, has the sound only heaven could have sent, SMURFEE  :icon_bigsmurf:
NEVER LOOK BACK

wolfpupsdad

i'm running a set of walker mufflers from a 70 340 duster or cuda 2 1/2 in and 2 " out

briney

I'm Running a set of cherry bombs from the seventies and the sound is sweet!

I found out they started making them a couple of months or so ago. I saw it in street rodder.

Patrick   :unitedstates:
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

meteor

Quote from: smurfee on 2007-07-20 20:51
  I'm running a complete FLOWMASTER  system from front to rear on my 302, has the sound only heaven could have sent, SMURFEE  :icon_bigsmurf:

Smurfee, what flowmaster muffler are you running?

meteor

Quote from: cool57 on 2007-07-19 22:27
ftp://Brockman Mellow Tones

Better than Smitty's and more choices.

http://www.brockmancustomparts.com/page2.html

I've heard of these, how are they better than Smitty's?

meteor

Quote from: briney on 2007-07-20 23:53
I'm Running a set of cherry bombs from the seventies and the sound is sweet!

I found out they started making them a couple of months or so ago. I saw it in street rodder.

Patrick   :unitedstates:

I've heard that Cherry Bombs are REALLY loud after about 500 miles when the packing is all blown out. Is this true? I've heard that the new Smitty's are steel packs, and guaranteed not to burn out. I'm just concerned about noise levels inside the car over long distances, and I live on a pretty quiet street...

57 Ford Kustom

meteor :006:
   The biggest reason that the glass pacs get loud is that the glass leaves , that is what we called burned in mufflers in the old day , Smittys , Porter [ if you can find them] are good. I use Brockman steel packs on  my car the noise level is on the high side but stays the same, no surprises in  a 1000 or so miles. I believe Brockman's glass pac will not burn out. What ever you do stay away from NAPA glass pacs . Put a set on my other 57 drove from Vt to Mich. There wasn't any glass left in them. Son still has then on the car but it is too loud for me. Also put a set on a 400M F250 pick up . Drove to Pa with the camper on, the wife thought one had fallen off by the time we got to Gettysburg.

T 8)M

aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Frankenstein57

I don't know if you have your headers yet, the posts I've read said the mustang shorty headers fit. In case I go with the 5.0 ,package I picked up a set on ebay real cheap. good luck, Mark

cool57

Quote from: meteor on 2007-07-20 23:55
I've heard of these, how are they better than Smitty's?

Well actually some of it is subjective, I like the sound better, but you have many more choices. As someone mentioned their glass stays put.