News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Gas tank from hell

Started by hiball3985, 2012-12-02 23:37

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Last week I filled the tank on the Ranchero for the first time only to find it leaking. So I got it drained and pulled it out Saturday morning. I'm sure you all know this is the same tank as a wagon and has the depressed area for the spare tire on a wagon. I found someone in the past put a bolt, washers and nut in the drain hole that lets moister drain from the recessed area. Yep, the recess was rusted from standing water over the years. I know finding a good used one would be hard and a new one too expensive for my budget. So we cut the recess out and welded a flat piece across the top, probably gained about 2-3 gallons more capacity. I don't have a bead roller so we just added a few small strips on top. The area in the bed where the recess for the spare is was rusted out too. We cut that out and welded in some flat sheet. My son helped and is a better welder then I am. The whole project only cost about $40. I've got all the new suspension parts so that will be the next project.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

How did you clean the inside of the gas tank first?  The thought of welding one scares me to death!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

I take my empty tanks to a radiator shop and have them clean them, machine shop that uses the old chemical cleaners for engine etc has cleaned them for me as well.  If all else fails use laquer thinner or acetone (they both evaporate cleanly) to give it a good soaking and rinse.  Then after a couple of days wash it out with a good dish soap (I like Dawn) rinse well, let dry and weld away.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

That was our first plan, but the only shop here wanted $400 to do it.
We just washed it out with dish soap and water a few times. We filled it with water while using an air powered cut off wheel to remove the top section. With the top off we washed it out again, I was surprised how clean the inside actually was, very little sediment. Then we dried it out and let it set for the remainder of the day while we addressed the bed problem. We then took it to my son's house that night to weld.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

I've checked a couple of radiator shops only to find that gas tanks are not repaired anymore...insurance issues.  All the old shops are gone, I'll have to look farther away. 

Filling with water is an old tried and true method.  Another is leaving an air hose shooting air into the tank.  Anything to disperse the fumes.

hiball3985

Filling with water is an old trick, I'm as old :003:. I use to do this and weld them with an acetylene torch back in the day.
Yes, radiator shops are few and far between these days, The little one man shop we have is having a hard time surviving. People don't fix them anymore, all these newer vehicles are just throw-a-ways made from plastic etc.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

What about these gas-tank sealer kits sold by companies like Eastwood?  They're supposed to coat the inside of the tank and seal pinholes but I don't know anyone who's tried it.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

lowrider

I recall doing the water trick. Remember fixing leaking tanks by filling with water, cleaning the area to be fixed and using my old man's ancient soldering IRON & solder. I actually got pretty decent at it.

hiball3985

Limey: I thought about the sealers, I'm sure that would work for pin holes but there was five 1/4" holes and I probably could have made a few more with just my finger.

Lowrider: I remember people doing it that way. My first soldering iron wasn't even electric, you heated in a small gas fired furnace  :003:

JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Frankenstein57

Limey, I sealed my tank ,It sat a long time with old fuel in it. I didn't have pinholes, just wasn't sure I was getting it 100% clean. I used a tank sealer from KBS coatings, that's how I got onto their other products. Another thing that works good to ventilate the tank is a leaf blower. I put one on the tank and set it in the hot sun to dry it out before coating the tank, so far so good.  Mark

Limey57

Thanks Mark, mine sounds similar, no obvious holes but it has sat around for a few years now and I want to ensure that any rust particles or residue doesn't get sucked out of the tank and into the carburettor.  I had this problem on my Impala and ended up having two inline filters which still didn't totally cure it.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2012-12-03 18:51
Another thing that works good to ventilate the tank is a leaf blower. I put one on the tank and set it in the hot sun to dry it out before coating the tank, so far so good.  Mark

I used my wife's hair dryer.....not the best idea......that was just one of a list.....dishwasher for carb rebuild.....oven to bake on exhaust manifold coating.....for some reason she thinks all the cool stuff in the house is not for car work?  Go figure...
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Hoosier Hurricane

The last tank I worked on, after the soap and water rinse, I hooked a flexible pipe to a single cylinder engine in a lawn tractor, and pumped exhaust into the tank while I soldered it.  I'm still here to post this, so it worked.   John

Zapato

All i can say John pumping exhaust into a tank and then bringing fire to it you must have balls made of brass.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

wv 57s forever

didn't know there was a safer way than with already burned oxygen.