News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

I've been attending Rod Runs, car shows, and cruise ins since 1976.  The "flavor" of the spectator has changed dramatically over the years as has the flavor of the participants!  My kids grew up around the "car culture", they knew the blood, sweat, and tears that went into building a car as they saw it first hand.  We had no problem "turning them loose" at rod runs to look at cars and meet other kids that were turned loose too.  We never worried about them climbing on or in, or throwing stuff, or running wildly around.  We never worried about "pervs" as most everyone was just like us, out to relax, talk cars, drink a few beers, and get away from it all.

Having said all of that, I do not worry that my stuff will get hurt or stolen.  The car has been on the road since 1980, 139K miles, just a 2dr sdn fat fender that was built using junk yard parts.  Yup, would be sad and really po'ed if it was stolen (I do lock it in the evenings) or damaged any further then what I have inflicted......but that is what insurance is for.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2018-08-16 04:58
Unreal...sad, but that is the world we live in today, no common sense and everyone is entitled. Besides, why should you be able to have a nice car and not them? That's what happens when we don't keep score and give everyone a trophy.  :deadhorse:
I totally agree. And I see it everywhere.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Jay, I'm not talking to you until you stop laughing at me  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2018-08-16 08:01
Jay, I'm not talking to you until you stop laughing at me  :003:

Is it OK to laugh with Jay?...
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2018-08-16 08:45
Is it OK to laugh with Jay?...
Go right ahead Lynn  :003: I really shot myself in the foot with this story..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

I think that I said that I would have laughed if I was there so since I was not there, I'll just have to think of something else to pick on.   

RICH MUISE

I finally got to get working back on my garage. Last week I finished up some bookcases I was making for either side of the fireplace, so my garage was next on the list. As I had mentioned before, my garage was a drivethru with 16' overhead door front and back.
First and foremost was a water problem we were having in the garage. It was  created when, at some time in the past, the po had the garage floor repoured, and the new floor for some reason was 2" lower than original. This left the garage lower than the back driveway, so everytime it rained hard, water got into the garage.
We could have had some excavation work done and added french drains, but since I was wanting to eliminate the back overhead door anyways to add more wall space, we went that route instead, with some concrete work to divert water away from the garage. I'm too old to be digging and mixing concrete, so we had a contractor come in and do that part. I had him pour an 8" x 8" stub wall (with lots of rebar) across the 16' opening, and a 5" tall walkway 30" wide up against that. The 8" stubwall is more than enough to keep the water out, and the 1" slopped walkway will divert the water off to the side of the house where it can eventually find it's way to the street.
There's going to be a walkthru door and a single hung window I had found one that is the right size to allow my heat/AC unit to fit in the bottom section. Framing is 2 x6 to allow for more insulation.
I got the framing done this week, waiting on city inspection. Suppose to be out today, so I should be able to start the finish work. Probably could get it done with 3 days hard work, so, about 3 weeks it should be done. Pics are in my iphone, I'll get some taken with my camera so I can post 'em.

Kinda cool......... My neice started working for the building/safety department last year. My blueprints and the permits I got are all signed off by her.
Last pics are at the Summer's Last Blast in Vernon this past weekend
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Looks good Rich, you certainly have more get up and go then me, I don't think I would take on a job like that today.
Nice to see some other 57's at a show. I never liked those chrome headlight rings, just not my cup of tea..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Thanks, Jim. I have to be careful what I take on. That's why I had the concrete work done by someone. 20 years ago I would have mixed the 72 bags it took. Now, I can't even carry one. LOL...After Van got the concrete smoothed off, 3 of our dogs decided to autograph it. You can see all the footprints in the pic. When we saw it, I laughed and told him to leave it. The driveway we had poured at our old house has Pug footprints all over it. Around here, the concrete companies have a 4 yard minimum @ 110. per yard, so Van decided it was only 72 bags, he could mix it, and save some $. Must be nice to be just 50 years old.

Both those Fairlanes next to me are my friend's from Knox City, Tx. I talked about him before, Glenn Large, he has the "57 Heaven museum". He's had the black and white one since he was a teenager. Went on his honeymoon in it, and 55 years later he drove her to a nursing home in it. He visits her frequently, but on Sundays he goes in the '57 and takes her for a ride. The Rose/pink one is spoken for by his daughter. At that same show, another '57 friend from Lawton, Ok was there. He's the one that introduced me to Glenn about 7 or 8 years ago. Between the two of them at one time had amassed close to 100 '57 Fords.
Passed inspection this afternoon, so as soon as my back gets better from lifting that framed wall off my garage floor and moved outside, I can start the finish work.

hiball3985

I'm sure they have them in your neck of the woods too but here we have little trailers you can get at the rental yard that has the concrete already mixed, they are pretty handy, I forget how much material is in them. I like when the guy at the building supply ask me if I want 90# or 60# sacks, Are you kidding me  :003:

Great story about the 57's.. 100 57's, thats amazing..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

CobraJoe

I feel much like Rich's original post; sat down with my cup of jo and nothing to read. Posted up a few more pics on the Old Ford Pics thread and checked again....still nothing.  bawl

On the bright side, the grill and center piece I found on line came in; looks pretty good. I'll probably install it this way after I do the fenders this fall and probably re-chrome it the following winter.

:001:

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

57chero

I know what you guys are talking about when it comes to not being able to do what you use to do, When I turned 60 its like somebody flipped a switch for aches and pains. Crawling around under a car doesn't seem so fun anymore, I guess being a plumber for the last 31 years hasn't helped any, Ill be 63 with 3 years to go and I'm done. Plumbing I mean.

RICH MUISE

I'll be 72 in a few months, and I can still get a good day's work done. Only problem is it takes me a week.
Breathing is my main problem.....smoking for almost 60 years, painting cars, construction (sawing cement fiber siding, etc)

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-08-18 16:50
I'll be 72 in a few months, and I can still get a good day's work done. Only problem is it takes me a week.
Breathing is my main problem.....smoking for almost 60 years ...
About exactly the same here. Turned 73 five months ago. Add about 50 years of excess beer consumption, near zero exercise for 15 or so years, hardly eat, live alone etc. 
I love beer but 2-3 beers a night is about it these days. Still, 2 packs a day of them damn 'cancer sticks' continues. Wish I'd never seen a cig.
I thought Rich was much younger, he sure seems to doin' much better than me.
Of course I've set a pretty low bar lately.  :laughing7:

57imposter

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-08-18 16:50
Breathing is my main problem.....smoking for almost 60 years, painting cars, construction (sawing cement fiber siding, etc)
Man I was worried to was just me. The amount of work I can do at any one time in embarrassing. Too many years of smoking and some pretty big hits of epoxy paint. plus I've lost so much strength I almost have to get help to open a jar of pickles. The guy building my third member called to apologize for it not being done on time. I was glad to hear that, as when he finishes it, I will have to put it in. I'm not looking forward to man handling that heavy SOB back in. getting old ain't for sissies.