News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

I saw an amusing sign in Riggins Idaho today.  "Today's special: give us money, we'll give you coffee".  Well it amused me anyway.  You can tell I'm easily amused.
Terry

hiball3985

I guess no one is drinking coffee anymore  :002: So here is a short story and I hope Rich see's it. Rich provided me with the missing piece I needed to get my door lock working, may thanks to him for that. So the door is back together and the lock works great. So one day last week I arrived at the local hang out for lunch with with my buddies ( all old farts like me with old cars ) and while they watched me pull in I thought I would show off by locking the door when I got out, They were all aware of the situation I was having with the locks. So I lock the door and stroll up proudly and they all starting laughing at me  :005: And when I asked what was so damn funny they pointed and said you forgot to roll up the window  :003: Old habits are hard to break  :burnout:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

CobraJoe

too funny...

P.S. Does tea count or does it have to be coffee?
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

haha....thats funny Jim ! :003: but you know what, since we had the topic also with the recently stolen Deuce Sedan and Jay was talking about locking his vintage cars even at shows. I tend to use your arrangement in the 57 with the glass down and doors locked all the time. it will not keep thieves from stealing your ride, BUT it will keep stupid visitors from trying a seat and how the steering wheel can be pushed side to side. they will not be able to easily spot and find the little door lock pin next to the vent window and will give up after pulling the outside door handle in vain. this has worked for me more often than not. don't you just hate it when a stranger walks up to your car and opens the door? But, in any case if we leave our cars somewhere we can't see it anymore, they need to be locked anyways. I don't know how that is dealt with in this or that US state, but here in Austria it is illegal and forbidden to leave your car unlocked. for safety and theft reasons. convertables have to either have steering or shift locks and locking glovebox and hoods.

hiball3985

There is no laws here in California about locking your car, I don't know about other states. I rarely go to car shows but I have never seen anyone trying to get into some ones car, but I'm sure it happens at times. I never have anything of value in the car so I normally don't roll up the windows just some old CD's and  better they take them then break the window. If thieves really want the car glass and door locks aren't going to stop them. I had a 66 Mustang stolen, only thing left was broken glass on the ground..

In my 55 years of driving I have always driven with the window down. My friends laugh at me in the winter if you can call California winter really a winter because I still have the window down and the heater on :003: It also drives my wife crazy..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

that's why cars look so good with glass rolled down at cruises or shows. it's the free Californian show effect.... :003: :002:

Anyways, today it's raining cats and dogs outside, so I am happy to have roll up glass.

Maybe it's a different behavior varying from country to country, but unfortunately it can often be seen over here that strangers walk up to a car, most likely with dog, kids or a squarish basket in hand, grab the handle and pull open to slip inside. mostly for taking pictures. you should see what they do with running boards and fenders on a 1930s car. runningboards and nasty women go together like cheese and mice or honey and flies. :003:

hiball3985

I guess some of the brain dead people think a car show and a used car lot are one in the same. I better stay away from shows that would light my fuse..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Woodward Dream Cruise week...unfortunately a HUGE shopping mall for car thieves

RICH MUISE

Glad to see this thread waking up.......I've missed knowing what's going on with you guys. Funny story, Jim.
I've never seen anyone getting into someone's car at a show uninvited that I know of. I've done at least a dozen shows in the past 2 years, and I've never had any kind of issue with anyone with my car. Everyone has seemed really careful about not touching it even when bending over to see inside or the engine compartment. I love it see owners offer to let the onlookers sit in their cars for pictures if they wish. I did a cruise this past weekend in Vernon, Tx. I saw a few guys were stopping to ask if any of the onlookers wanted to do a loop. Ha, I even saw a friend who had 2 '57's at the show/cruise riding in the passenger seat of a T-bucket. I should post more on that cruise/show, it was  the best overall car event experience I've had.
I did let a lady sit in mine Saturday at the show. It was late in the afternoon and she came up to me and told me she had just got there and her husband told her she had to come look at my car, particularly the interior. She pointed to her husband who was sitting with his Chevelle and a bunch of other Chevy guys. I laughed and said, but he's a Chevy guy, he wanted you to come look at my Ford??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Lawn mower company.... Save MORE Today and mow tomorrow!". Nothing to do with coffee or tea just grass....

I love the lock story! LOL.

Quote from: terry_208 on 2018-06-20 17:05
I saw an amusing sign in Riggins Idaho today.  "Today's special: give us money, we'll give you coffee".  Well it amused me anyway.  You can tell I'm easily amused.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

On one of my roadtrips a few months ago..in Medicine Park, Oklahoma, a street named      "One Helluva Rd."
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Rich I'm sure you don't have problems at shows in your state were you can carry a gun    :fsniper:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim
    It's good that you got your door lock working. However If I had seen you lock your car with the windows down and if I was with your bunch of buddies watching you, I would have been the guy that was laughing the loudest.

With regards to people just getting into the cars, they do it all the time.  That's the reason over the years I never opened the rumble seat in my convertible cars.   I may show it to someone occasionally, but never walk away with it open.  It's an open invitation for people to drag their kids over the quarter panel and place them on the rumble seat (with their shoes on) to take pictures.   There is no way that I can ever tell you how many people I have found sitting in my 34 Fords.

I have never seen anyone getting into my 57 Ford, however somewhere I have a picture of a guy leaning against the driver's door with his hands inside the car.  He didn't realize that I was watching every move he made  and was taking his picture.     

Sometimes our cars are a magnet for people that do not have respect for other people's property.  When they ask, I do let them sit in the cars.     

KYBlueOval

Some years ago, the Hot Rod Club to which I belong ,was invited to attend a festival at a large park here in Louisville. One member of the club drove a '32 Ford 4 door sedan. After parking the car, the owner walked away from the car to see the various events of the festival and get something to eat.
When he returned to his car, he found a family of four, in his car eating ice cream cones. I would add, that two of the four were small children. When confronted, the parents said they thought the car were there for them "to enjoy" and they were doing just that. Their exit from the car was swift to say the least.
Never underestimate what non-car people are capable of doing.
John

CobraJoe

Unreal...sad, but that is the world we live in today, no common sense and everyone is entitled. Besides, why should you be able to have a nice car and not them? That's what happens when we don't keep score and give everyone a trophy.  :deadhorse:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane