News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Critique my restoration plan please!

Started by 410ranchero, 2013-12-26 20:34

Previous topic - Next topic

410ranchero

Hey guys I've had a little free time away from my car lately and decided I need a list of tasks and kind of a long look down the road. My goal was to make Drag Week this year but it just doesnt look possible at this point. The car in its current state is what is left of a rusted body on a dirty frame that needs a little love. The front end is removed. The engine needs some attention as well. So I made a little list of the tasks, hours, and money required to get me back on the road.

I want the car to look like a early 60's week-end warrior/cruiser. It is lowered 4 inches in the back, 3 inches in the front. NOT A GASSER!

Some of the specifics:
410 Fe
C6
2600 TCI stall
Doug Nash Underdrive(20%)
3.25 rear
It needs rockers and quarters on both sides, as well as a floor.
All the glass needs replaced as well as rubber.
The drivers door works well, the passenger door not so much, as well as the tail gate.
All the brakes are new.
The fuel tank is good.
The entire body will first be stripped with a DA(in progress), then sand blasted in the rusty areas, repairs made, then shot with a direct to metal primer, then two coats of high build.
The paint will be a single stage Nason low gloss black.
The roof and perhaps some scallops will be done in Dupont Hot Hues(blood red gold flake)
The engine will be gloss black.
White fenderwell exit headers
Gold valve covers as well as the dash.
Interior will be gold/black/white
Wheels will be cragars 15' steelies with WWW, 28x10 pie crust white walls on the back.
I am putting a one piece fiberglass tilt front end on it.

Attached is my "To-do", if you guys that have been there done that want to give it a look and offer up advice I am all ears!

Zapato

I hate black on anything underhood, just makes it real hard to see anything when you're working on it. besides that personally prefer a nose down stance. You mention tailgate is this a Ranchero or wagon?

I'd tackle all the rust first and then proceed to major mehanical. Don't see any electrical (rewire) mentioned. And very last paint then upholstery. Since your taking it down to metal be sure you use not only an etching primer but a sealer as well.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Frankenstein57

Troy, I admire your organization. I always made lists of what needed to get done, I take alot of satisfaction in crossing off things on "the list" While I never projected the cost's and time estimates, you need a plan that fits the available shop time and project $$$$$ funds. Looks like a good plan, please post your progress, and let me know if I can help,  I'm liking the gold dash!,   Mark :naughty:

Zapato

Quote from: Zapato on 2013-12-26 20:58
I hate black on anything underhood, just makes it real hard to see anything when you're working on it. besides that personally prefer a nose down stance. You mention tailgate is this a Ranchero or wagon?

I'd tackle all the rust first and then proceed to major mehanical. Don't see any electrical (rewire) mentioned. And very last paint then upholstery. Since your taking it down to metal be sure you use not only an etching primer but a sealer as well.

Duh! A real Homer Simpson moment with a name like 410 Ranchero it must be a Ranchero.
Zapato

410ranchero

Quote from: Zapato on 2013-12-26 20:58

Thanks Zap. I tend to dislike the black underhood as well. But the Black FE with the gold valve covers has always floated my boat. With the tilt front and no inner fenders and white headers I dont think it will be too much of a black hole. Ford blue looks really good under a hood, but would be to pedestrian I would think with everything else going the mild custom route.

Do you think maybe an Aluminum firewall, or even painted the same gold as the valve covers would spice it up?

It is a Ranchero, I'll add a picture :)

The 4 inch lower in the rear and 3 inch in the front gives me 3/4 inch of rake when measured the length of the rocker. I'll be going with a 27' front tire and 28 inch rear, so it should be closer to 1" with that stagger.

The re-wire is on the sheet(I know its a million things to comb through) Its way down the list after it gets back from the body shop(task 194). I alotted 8 hours and $50 bucks(changed to $400, that was way under realistic).

I think the general scheme you suggest is followed on my sheet. I'm really clumsy, so I want to do as little work as possible around fresh paint and nice upholstry. All the major mechanical was done before I tore it apart, just a few little seals and freshing up the engine. But all of that will be done before the primer gets shot. I'll do all the primer and body work. The paint will be sprayed by a pro in a booth.

410ranchero

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2013-12-26 20:59
Troy, I admire your organization. I always made lists of what needed to get done, I take alot of satisfaction in crossing off things on "the list" While I never projected the cost's and time estimates, you need a plan that fits the available shop time and project $$$$$ funds. Looks like a good plan, please post your progress, and let me know if I can help,  I'm liking the gold dash!,   Mark :naughty:

If only my shop was as organized as the list!

The gold dash is shamelessly stolen! I'm gonna twist it a little and paint to match the valve covers and maybe add a little pinstriping with the Hot Hues paint on it.

I might even get Jess to trace the scallops and edges of the flaked roof, and maybe some pin striping with the gold, just to tie it all together. Not being there when the style was cool makes it hard to get it just right. There is a million ideas in my head, and if I did them all it would end up gaudy. I'm going to start all black, then flake the roof, then maybe scallops, then a little gold accent at a time.

I was really thinking I could make drag week this year(it starts in September), but with work, and trying to remain happily married, its just not going to happen. I'm glad I did this now, and not after I coughed up the $500 non-refundable deposit for the race. I think it will take me about 14 months depending on my work schedule to get it back on the road(phase 31 of the plan) and hopefully get to tune and drive it over the summer in preperation for drag week.

hotroddonnie

You lost me when you said NOT A GASSER!  :002: Well for a bit I was sick of Cragars and now I think they're cool again.

410ranchero

Quote from: hotroddonnie on 2013-12-26 21:38
You lost me when you said NOT A GASSER!  :002: Well for a bit I was sick of Cragars and now I think they're cool again.

The Gassers are cool, I really dig yours. I'm definatley using some gasser style ideas. This just isnt going that way, I want to be able to drive it everywhere.

As you can see it has cragar SS on it now. Sweet 14's  :003: They are going to be replaced with 15's in this style, with spider caps

JimNolan

410Ranchero,
    Where to start at is probably a good idea. My view on any project is time. If this project isn't funded sufficiently time wise, will you become bored with the project. When I restored my 57 the people around here had seen my car on the streets for a couple years before the restoration was completed. I personally like driving it more than looking at it. Both are enjoyable but if looking at it was more important to me, I'd look at someone else's 57 Ford for a whole lot less money. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ecode70D

You asked for a critique, so here's mine.
   I would replace the rockers,and floor, blend the paint, and replace the headlight rims with painted ones.  Replace the glass and install new rubbers.
    Whatever nice Ford engine that bolts in easily would be fine.  After cleaning up under the hood, black will work.
    That car has a nice look to it the way it is. No need to make body and height changes.
     You will be surprised at how many looks and good comments you will get.
JMO Jay

hotroddonnie

One thing that I did with my build, I had a plan as to what I wanted the car to look like, and you seem to have a plan in your head. Next step BUILD your car the way YOU want it and KEEP the plan. So many times guys would say" I'd do this or I'd change that or are you really gonna do that?" I even had one guy say to me with a straight face "I'd bolt on a wood grain steering wheel" I had a plan and stuck with it and the good thing is....I don't have a pile of parts left over from all the plan changing!

hotroddonnie

Buy the way nothing wrong with wood grain steering wheels.... just not on my car.

hiball3985

I'll reserve all comments about what I think, I try avoid those on other builds too so I don't have people chasing me with guns drawn :burnout:  :003: Every one has a different vision. It's your car, your money and your time so do what is ever is the most satisfying to you. All I will say is good luck and I hope the project turns out the way you want it..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

Quote from: hotroddonnie on 2013-12-27 06:42
One thing that I did with my build, I had a plan as to what I wanted the car to look like, and you seem to have a plan in your head. Next step BUILD your car the way YOU want it and KEEP the plan. So many times guys would say" I'd do this or I'd change that or are you really gonna do that?" I even had one guy say to me with a straight face "I'd bolt on a wood grain steering wheel" I had a plan and stuck with it and the good thing is....I don't have a pile of parts left over from all the plan changing!

this is some truly rock solid advise. having a plan as you have/are developing not only saves money but even often more important time. and don't change it to please the crowd they're not paying the bills or have to live with it afterward. The black block isn't my cup of tea but its obviously something you've envisioned and those kind of dreams need to be followed.

On your door latches, its going to be hard to find new ones or used ones in great shape. And doing so might really stall your project. Bear claws are plentiful and are easy to find at any u=pull yard. Look in Ford trucks [rangers,explorers,f150s] probably in their passenger cars. Should be dirt cheap specially if you find someone cutting up a car.

Back in my mini-truck days........... a good friend of mine and I both had Datsun 620 trucks. My plan after making it mechanically sound was a very mild custom look. Was my daily driver and parts and materials hauler never meant to be flashy. And from the start I knew what it should end up being. And that was I built.My good friend had no such plan, and just kept adding everything he could find with no theme in mind. And even he realized at one point that no matter what he added it just didn't flow.

Build what you see in your head and you will be pleased, anything else won't cut the mustard.
Zapato

410ranchero

Quote from: JimNolan on 2013-12-27 05:03
410Ranchero,
    Where to start at is probably a good idea. My view on any project is time. If this project isn't funded sufficiently time wise, will you become bored with the project. When I restored my 57 the people around here had seen my car on the streets for a couple years before the restoration was completed. I personally like driving it more than looking at it. Both are enjoyable but if looking at it was more important to me, I'd look at someone else's 57 Ford for a whole lot less money. Jim

I hear you. I'm not home for long stretches at a time, usually a week or two, so you can imagine how hectic home time can be. I hope this list will at least allow me to keep working toward the end goal in a logical order, as opposed to just puttering around in the shop and never getting any closer to getting done.

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-12-27 05:46
   You asked for a critique, so here's mine.
   I would replace the rockers,and floor, blend the paint, and replace the headlight rims with painted ones.  Replace the glass and install new rubbers.
    Whatever nice Ford engine that bolts in easily would be fine.  After cleaning up under the hood, black will work.
    That car has a nice look to it the way it is. No need to make body and height changes.
     You will be surprised at how many looks and good comments you will get.
JMO Jay

Thanks Jay! I would say that I am following your plan almost to a T! I focused on the major mechanical stuff while it was still driving, so I'm really just blowing apart for clean up and paint. The picture I posted is after lowering it, the only thing going to change appearance wise, is color and wheels/tires. The engine is simply getting a new cam and heads and simple refresh gasket and maybe bearing wise. I already have all the engine parts.

Quote from: hotroddonnie on 2013-12-27 06:42

I agree! I think that really is a project killer for most guys. They end up paying to build everything 3 times. I'm hoping my plan will keep me working in a  single direction. I tried really hard to get a big collection of parts before I tore it down so the progress would be a little faster, and less time for project drift.  I have a picture of what it will look like, I even found a picture of one on the HAMB that was a poor mans version of what I want, but the general style was there and I love it.

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-12-27 08:22
I'll reserve all comments about what I think, I try avoid those on other builds too so I don't have people chasing me with guns drawn :burnout:  :003: Every one has a different vision. It's your car, your money and your time so do what is ever is the most satisfying to you. All I will say is good luck and I hope the project turns out the way you want it..

HAHA no guns drawn here.

Quote from: Zapato on 2013-12-27 09:12
this is some truly rock solid advise. having a plan as you have/are developing not only saves money but even often more important time. and don't change it to please the crowd they're not paying the bills or have to live with it afterward. The black block isn't my cup of tea but its obviously something you've envisioned and those kind of dreams need to be followed.

On your door latches, its going to be hard to find new ones or used ones in great shape. And doing so might really stall your project. Bear claws are plentiful and are easy to find at any u=pull yard. Look in Ford trucks [rangers,explorers,f150s] probably in their passenger cars. Should be dirt cheap specially if you find someone cutting up a car.

Build what you see in your head and you will be pleased, anything else won't cut the mustard.

I'm building it my way for sure, it wont be HAMB approved, and I'm sure I'll get dirty looks from the purist here. But it will be my car! There is just somethings I always wanted to do with it when I was a kid, and now that its mine I'm going to make it happen.

I always wanted dual quads. With the low hood clearance I can't run a good dual quad intake, so I got one that fit. The FE guys knocked it as a junk manifold. But it runs hard,looks awesome and I think more reflect what would have been run at the time(dual carters). Maybe my old holley/performer had some issues, but this set-up stomps over the old carb/intake. I have dual velocity stacks(ala-Gasser Donnie  :003:) that really set it off for me, even if they might have came along a little later than the early 60's.

You lost me on the door latches. Mine must be a different style as I don't have a bear claw(or what I think is a bear claw) door latch. Mine are a little wheel in a housing on the end of the door. They appear to be in decent shape, I think they just need some lube and maybe a bushing or two.