News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Body plugs

Started by lowrider, 2014-01-15 16:36

Previous topic - Next topic

lowrider

Been replacing body plugs that are missing on my 70A and have run across one I can't find in a couple of the antique parts mags. It goes on the lower part of the firewall right behind the gas pedal. It's "football" shaped about 1 1/4 by 2 1/4. I'm not familiar with overdrive sys. but I think the overdrive cutout switch is mounted there (if you had one). Any ideas.

RICH MUISE

I suppose you could make one...really wouldn't be that dificult. Find a piece of window screen that is stiff enough to hold a shape..the new stuff isn't...and form/trim it to the shape using the hole as a guide, spray glue a piece of thin fabric to it, then spray it with multiple heavy coats of rubber sealant (you've seen the ads on tv where they put window screen on the bottom of a boat and seal it with the rubber coating. Rustoleum is making it now also.
edit....If you have some thin plywood (3/16), trace the shape onto the plywood, cut it out, and use that to form the screen. It may take a few days for the rubber to cure enough to install.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

if ya do it, post a pic!

hiball3985

The OD kick down switch under the gas pedal was only about 3/8 - 1/2", can't think what a hole that size would be for.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lowrider

That's what I was thinking too. The hole looks factory made and not cobbled in there. Macs & DC lists a grommet that looks the same shape but is call "overdrive pull cable grommet". I wouldn't think a cable needs that big of an opening to work.

hiball3985

Looking at the one Mac's shows you can see where there is a small area in the center where the cable would go. Too bad they don't give dimensions of the plug. Seems strange they would have such a large grommet for a small cable but it could be. I can't recall where my cable went through on my old 57 many years ago.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

what kind of fittings are on the cable..could the hole be needed that big to get the end fittings thru? I just ran into that cutting a hole in my tranny tunnel for the shifter cable. I ended up with a 2" hole for the 1/2" cable housing.

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-01-17 09:32
what kind of fittings are on the cable..could the hole be needed that big to get the end fittings thru? I just ran into that cutting a hole in my tranny tunnel for the shifter cable. I ended up with a 2" hole for the 1/2" cable housing.
That's a good thought Rich. The cable does have a clamp/bracket on the trans end. That would mean the rubber grommet would be placed on the cable first, then the bracket and it installed as a complete assembly.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

petew

Is this the hole in question ?

hiball3985

I recall that hole, I welded a plug in mine. It must be for the OD cable, I can't think of anything else it could be used for.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lowrider

Quote from: petew on 2014-01-17 10:35
Is this the hole in question ?
[/quote

Pete, yes that's the hole I'm talking about. It looks like the shape of the overdrive cable grommet I mentioned earlier but I can't see running a cable under the gas pedal.

petew

I think that the linkage rod for the gas pedal passed through that hole on 55 and 56 fords. Perhaps it is a left over stamping from the last years cars ? I took the picture when I disassembled my car and can't recall how the hole was plugged but it was plugged.

lowrider

That makes sense Pete. I think my car is an early production because I've run across things on my car that are a bit different than some 57's I've seen. One example is the chrome piece on the dash for the heater, radio & clock. On mine the "ridges" run horizontal where most of the 57's I see are vertical.

hiball3985

I really doubt any of the 56 body parts were used in 57, I was a complete redesign. I think that hole is for the OD cable, the more I try to picture how it was in a OD car I had years ago.

Is the vertical dash piece a single piece unlike the horizontal separate pieces? I've seen several of the vertical ones now after this was mentioned in another post.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lowrider

Mystery solved. Dennis Carpenter list part# 1A-7001694 " overdrive cable grommet" fitting cars from 51-59. Ordered one & it fit just like it belonged there. Still seems funny to me the overdrive cable would run right under the gas pedal.