News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Date Codes

Started by Ecode70D, 2014-03-30 20:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I'm trying to decipher a date code of 23 J.   What is meant by first year and second year on the date code chart?
See enclosed  pictures.

rmk57

Could be for two model years 57 and 58. 
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Just a guess, Jay, but I would think the first/second year would mean 1956/1957 in our case. The "J" being in the first year column would indicate the build date was the 23 Sept, 1956.  In other words the reference to first and second years are calender year references...so January 1st would be the start of the "second year", and if the date code was 23W it would have been built 23 Sept., 1957.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

That would be a Sept 23, 1956 date. If the ash tray lid slides down and inside the dash instead of out, if the rear view mirror stem screws into it's base and locked in place by a jam nut like a t-bird, if the power steering cylinder is from a 1956 Ford, if it's got a D in it's vin number and you have a Special emblem on your glove box or if it still retains oval tri-bar yankee outside mirrors on the fenders, you probably have one built in 1956. Besides, I don't think they built any customs or fairlanes that far into 1957.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ecode70D

Thanks a lot guys.  Now I get it.
   It's only logical that they would have a code for new cars that were released the year before  the actual model year of the car in question.
    It makes sense to me now.   

JimNolan

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2014-03-31 06:45
   It's only logical that they would have a code for new cars that were released the year before  the actual model year of the car in question.

Also, that means your car was built the @ second week of production. Your vin number should be below 103000 I'd think. Mine was built the 27J and it has a build vin number 103794

RICH MUISE

Jay...could you scan the whole page/pages of that info and post it for us? I know there's some info on the 1957 website, but I'd like to see what you've got. Thanks...I just know you've got nothing to do while you're waiting for the snow to melt.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

What month did they end production for the 57 model year?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ecode70D

Quote from: rmk57 on 2014-03-31 09:25
What month did they end production for the 57 model year?

I was around and already had my license in 1957 when I first started to notice those cool 57 Ford cars.  I remember seeing 57 Fords getting delivered with 58 Fords on the same transporter trucks.  So in my mind they were producing them right through 1957 and into 58.
    When the Massachusetts State Police started driving 1957 Ford 2 Dr. Customs, I thought that they were the most beautiful car made, and I still feel that way.
     But I didn't answer your question 100%.   

JimNolan

FIRST AND LAST DAY OF 1957 FORD PRODUCTION: Data Plate wise the earliest production date ( I have this at several plants) is 14J which is September 14, 1956, but I have talked with several Ford engineers and fleet sales people who worked for Ford in the 50's and early 60's. They have told me that around August 15th the plants shut down and the change over to the new model takes about 2 weeks (the '57 change over took longer because it was a completely new car). Then around August 28th the assembly lines are run very slow and 10 cars of every model are built if no problems are found, production starts the next day with the line getting up to full speed in 48 hours. However the '57 line was not problem free, September 2nd and 3rd were a weekend and the 4th was Labor Day. There was limited production on the last days of August and full production started (most likely) very early September 5th. As for the last '57 that would be a Thunderbird E7FH 395813 built 13Z, December 13, 1957. As for Ford passenger cars the last build date I have in my data plate collection is 27W, September 27, 1957 at San Jose, CA...... Information by Lou Champeau at vehicleone@hotmail.com

Sandiaman

23J first year 1956 September 23  second year would be 1957 September 23.

rmk57

Wow! a dual quad T-bird as the last 57, that's goin out in style, and 2 days before I was born
Good stuff to know!
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Frankenstein57

I was built at the same time, born October 56,    Mark bawl

Ecode70D

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2014-03-31 06:45

Guys.
    I was trying to figure out how to interpret  what was meant by first year and second year on the date code chart and you answered that question.   Sorry if I misled you by my wording with the sample date I gave.

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-03-31 07:58
Jay...could you scan the whole page/pages of that info and post it for us? I know there's some info on the 1957 website, but I'd like to see what you've got. Thanks...I just know you've got nothing to do while you're waiting for the snow to melt.

Rich
    I'll send the pages to you and sent you an email.   Jay