News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear brake drum question.

Started by hotroddonnie, 2014-04-08 19:12

Previous topic - Next topic

hotroddonnie

Gentlemen.....this includes anyone that has made my life difficult! I want to put new rear drums on my 57, the rear end to my knowledge is original, and it is a Ford 9 inch. I'm having a hard time finding 11x2 inch drums, that is what I have on it now. Can someone tell me if its the original rear end by these numbers, WWA-4-4025B, and if so where to get new drums that size. Thanks HRD

hotroddonnie

I should say that I am taking the 2 inch measurement from the inside, and when I did order drums from Macs the ones I picked up were to wide and hit the backing plate and didn't sit flush with the axle face.

Ecode70D

Donnie
     The rear wheels are off my car at the moment.  I'll check the drum measurements tomorrow and get back to you.  I'm pretty sure that I have spares and will measure them tomorrow also.  Jeff had previously stated to me that that he needs a set too.
      Jay

hotroddonnie

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2014-04-08 19:38
Donnie
     The rear wheels are off my car at the moment.  I'll check the drum measurements tomorrow and get back to you.  I'm pretty sure that I have spares and will measure them tomorrow also.  Jeff had previously stated to me that that he needs a set too.
      Jay
Thanks Jay.

hiball3985

Donnie,
Check the lining width not the drum, Customs and Fairlanes were 1 3/4". Ranchero's and Station wagons are 2". Sounds like you got the Ranchero/Station wagon drums from Macs.

Check to see if you have a local brake supply company in the area, they usually can get you anything..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hotroddonnie

Jim the measurement of my brake lining is 2 inches. Looking at my invoice from Macs, I ordered the Ranchero/Wagon drums, guess that's why they were to wide but it doesn't look like they sell the smaller for the Custom. Still if anyone can check the number that I gave for the rear end just to make sure that I have an original one that would be a great start Thanks HRD 

hiball3985

Sorry I can't help with the part number and hopefully someone will. IF you have a custom rear end it looks like you put the wrong shoes on it? The Wagon rear ends use a larger axle bearing and possibly the axle is different length to accommodate the wider shoes or just the drum design is different? Thats something I hadn't thought about in the past.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

Feel free to correct me,memory is a bit foggy on this. Back in the 60-70s just about every magazine worthy car had a 57 Ford wagon rearend. Not just beause the 57 housing is the cleanest looking but had the bigger brakes and the wider wheels. And this is where I'm foggy but weren't they narrower by a couple inches at the backing plates to backing plate dimension ? Who has a parts book that can look up and see if they did use different axles, am pretty sure wagons used different bearings.

The other most used rearend was 57 Olds.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ecode70D

Donnie
     It looks like I'm not going to be any help to you.
     My rear shoes are 1 3/4 wide and my drums are about 2" wide.
      I also checked my assortment of rear drums and all of them are the
5 X 5 1/2'' bolt pattern making them pickup truck drums.
      That number you gave was not on anything I have.   Where did you find it?
      I'm going to send you a PM   
Jay

hotroddonnie

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2014-04-09 14:52
Donnie
     It looks like I'm not going to be any help to you.
     My rear shoes are 1 3/4 wide and my drums are about 2" wide.
      I also checked my assortment of rear drums and all of them are the
5 X 5 1/2'' bolt pattern making them pickup truck drums.
      That number you gave was not on anything I have.   Where did you find it?
      I'm going to send you a PM   
Jay
Jay I will call you after 9 tonight, but just for the record to others, my brake shoes are also 1 3/4 and my drums measure on the inside lining 2 inches.

Ecode70D

OK Donnie
     I'll be right here.
Jay

jumping jack flash

HRD, try Kanter Auto Products. Their latest catalog list the 1957 drums as new production, and 57-59 as "all". this suggest that the drums are the same , but I know the wagon and ranchero have wider shoes, and a larger bearing. That means the housing is different to be able to house the bearing. ...Cost of the drums at Kanters is $99.00 each.

rmk57

Why not keep the wider drums and get your shoes relined to 2 inches.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hotroddonnie

Quote from: jumping jack flash on 2014-04-09 21:33
HRD, try Kanter Auto Products. Their latest catalog list the 1957 drums as new production, and 57-59 as "all". this suggest that the drums are the same , but I know the wagon and ranchero have wider shoes, and a larger bearing. That means the housing is different to be able to house the bearing. ...Cost of the drums at Kanters is $99.00 each.
Thanks. I'll check that site out. HRD

hotroddonnie

Quote from: rmk57 on 2014-04-09 22:36
Why not keep the wider drums and get your shoes relined to 2 inches.
I sent them back already and they hit the backing plate and wouldn't sit tight to the face of the axle, the drums for some reason were wider then my old ones. When I laid them side by side the new ones were wider. I clearly got the wrong ones. HRD