News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Del Rio Rock'n'Roll Ranchwagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2014-04-09 15:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

Gunther..I just resisted this thread and now see the obstacles.... you have immense talent... if anyone could fix it... it would be you.
I felt the very same way when the horrible past repairs were made on the Dirty Bird....

At any rate. your final decision will be the right one.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

CobraJoe

Gunther I missed this thread some how, but man, you've got your work cut out for you. I may have tackled a project like this years ago, now, not so much. God bless you brother as you are definitely going to need it....and you told me not to pull my chassis.....

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

The Del Rio is as much part of my everyday life as the Country Sedan. It is parked in front of the CS. I see it nearly everyday and it's not forgotten. I often get tempted to get going again but not at this point, I have to tell myself. I just don't have enough time now and I cannot justify putting hundreds of hours in a car that I will still not be able to drive nor ever sell for a decent amount. I know this wagon needs anywhere from 1000 to 2000 working hours to get it driveable and presentable again, and at this point I'd rather spend the money and especially time on cars that I can drive around with much less efforts involved. But... who knows. Taking an example in our member Hugh (mustang8469) who held onto his Couriers for decades before actual work started ....well some of these days, maybe.....and I need to make use of Joe's quad headlights !  :003:

djfordmanjack

Have been rethinking the Del Rio project and posted a question about engine/transmission choice over in the tech forums, would be nice to hear your thoughts please !

->
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=8559.0

djfordmanjack

Wow !
An old friend just sent me this pic with my old 57 Courier SD. that must have been around 2003.

P.F. Arcand

HI PEOPLE. New here & not even sure I'm getting this to operate properly?.. (computers are not my forte')   But not new to 57 Ford stuff or Y-Block engines.   Re the "Del Reo" project; when it gets down to engines selection, while I don't have any particular beef with a 351 engine, I'm wondering why since you have a partly done Y-block already, why you wouldn't go that route? For one thing it would preserve more originality in the car & possibly retain it's value more down the road ?. You may or may not know, that there has been some resurgence of interest in those engines in the last few years. Contrary to past negative history, much of it coming from some in the Bow Tie brigade & in certain Rod magazines, Y-Blocks can be made to perform well with out going overboard on mod's. And in comparison, Ford's 289-302 std engines don't really have the down low torque of a good Y-Block, nor do they have the unique sound of a good Y-Block.. For references; check out "John Mummert's" great site, www.ford-y-block.com & the site "Y-blocksforever.com" & link to the site,"Ted Eaton Specialty & Balancing." those sites can be a real eye opener..  Just trying to be helpful & preserve more originality in our "57 fords..                   

CobraJoe

Welcome P.F. and, all valid points; in the end, I think it just comes down to personal choice, availability and finances.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

Welcome to our site, Mr Arcand, and thank you for your speaking in favor of the Y block. I think you have also come to the right place here since there are lots, or most, or all die hard Ford people here.
I am still thinking which direction to go with this project, but it's certain that it will be Ford powered. I have nothing against the Y block either. As a matter of fact I have a second 57 wgn that still has its original 292 and 3spd Fordo, and like you mentioned it really has good torque and reliable power output and certainly is no slouch even at higher rpms even with a 2bbl carb only. Probably the 3.56 wgn gears help. But they also cause less mpg. which is a concern over here in Europe. Another point for me is that I have a running 351, but the 312 project motor is cobbled together from 5 or more different engines, so will need some real thorough work and blueprinting, which takes time and possibly even more money for detailed machine work. so these are the reasons for my thoughts.
I agree with your last line, that a Y block just fits so well in a 57 Ford !

Now let's see or hear about your own cars, former or current projects !