News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Maniflod & Carb.

Started by Dave, 2014-04-14 23:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I have a friend that says 57 fairlanes came from the factory with the option of dual four bbl. manifold and carb.'s. I said that only Thunderbirds had dual fours in 1957. Who is right?

djfordmanjack

as far as I know you could order any of the 57 cars with either the E code (dual quad) or F code ( supercharged) 312.
E or F is the first letter in the VIN designating the engine option . Jay here on the Forum has a dual quad Custom series 2dr.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Dave on 2014-04-14 23:14
I have a friend that says 57 fairlanes came from the factory with the option of dual four bbl. manifold and carb.'s. I said that only Thunderbirds had dual fours in 1957. Who is right?

He is, there are many "E" and "F" code Fords out there of every model (or nearly so).  Northern WI member Randy Conner has an "E" code Ranchero, I believe he also has an "E" code Fairlane 500 2dr ht.  I know he has a doven or so "E" manifolds and carb set ups.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

djfordmanjack

RICH MUISE

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2014-04-15 02:05
as far as I know you could order any of the 57 cars with either the E code (dual quad) or F code ( supercharged) 312.
E or F is the first letter in the VIN designating the engine option . Jay here on the Forum has a dual quad Custom series 2dr.
Jay's is the "E" code as you mentioned, but a much much rarer car as it is also a Business Tudor 70D
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Dave

It looks like I was wrong he was right. He has a 57 and I have the factory dual four bbl. manifold,carb.'s,air cleaner, linkage, and valley cover. I sold it to him and I am installing it. The next step is what was the correct color of the intake and air cleaner. We will kit the carbs but have not decided how to make them look like new again? Any idea?

Ecode70D

Quote from: Dave on 2014-04-15 08:29
It looks like I was wrong he was right. He has a 57 and I have the factory dual four bbl. manifold,carb.'s,air cleaner, linkage, and valley cover. I sold it to him and I am installing it.
Dave
    What your friend said is correct like the guys on this site stated.  Now I'm  little confused.  Are you installing the dual quad setup on your friend's Fairlane or on your Thunderbird? 
Thanks Jay

Dave

I am installing it on his Fairlane. I was interested in the color it would have been painted if it came from the factory on a 57 Fairlane. The thunderbird boys say natural aluminum on the intake and ford argent color on the air cleaner if it is in a 57 Bird. This is a 292 in the Fairlane car so it probably will not be correct in color to pass as a 312 with dual four set up.

57 Ford Kustom

Dave,
   Ecode is looking for a origonal dual Quad air cleaner if you happen to have another laying around. You are welcome Jay! Lol!
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Ecode70D

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2014-04-16 05:11
Dave,
   Ecode is looking for a origonal dual Quad air cleaner if you happen to have another laying around. You are welcome Jay! Lol!

Thanks a lot Tim.  I see that you remember that.  I still don't have one but it's not going to stop me from driving the car. .
    Did you get much of that snow last night ? 
Jay

57 Ford Kustom

Jay,
   We just got a couple of inches, just enough to make the roads ice! It is amazing what a guy can remember and what he cant! Just don't tell my wife that I remembered your air cleaner, I'd be in deep sh#!
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

hiball3985

Quote from: Dave on 2014-04-15 13:18
I am installing it on his Fairlane. I was interested in the color it would have been painted if it came from the factory on a 57 Fairlane. The thunderbird boys say natural aluminum on the intake and ford argent color on the air cleaner if it is in a 57 Bird. This is a 292 in the Fairlane car so it probably will not be correct in color to pass as a 312 with dual four set up.
I can't recall seeing any of the manifolds painted, all that I have seen have been just bare aluminum.

What confuses me is I have seen ones that require the depressed valley cover and some that don't. Was the T-Bird different then the E code in full size cars because it had to sit lower?
Edit: After some research it appears the difference is between the 55-56 and 57 manifold.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-04-16 16:03
I can't recall seeing any of the manifolds painted, all that I have seen have been just bare aluminum.

What confuses me is I have seen ones that require the depressed valley cover and some that don't. Was the T-Bird different then the E code in full size cars because it had to sit lower?
Edit: After some research it appears the difference is between the 55-56 and 57 manifold.

I agree with Jim that the dual quad manifolds were bare.
Over the years I have had non Ford dual quads that did not require the depressed valley cover.

alvin stadel

T-Bird E codes are basically the same except the linkage is all on the right side of carbs. Also I ordered a new paper air cleaner for my E code and as I remember  it wouldn't work as it was about 1 in. shorter than the one I had, They told by it was for a T-Bird, so the air cleaners for the bird must not be as tall.  Take care.

Ecode70D

Alvin
   I'm told that the Thunderbird  Ecode air cleaners are about 1" lower than the the Customs and Fairlane Ecode air cleaners because the hood is lower.  Someone will chime in and get it right.