News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fuel Gauge Works---woo-hooo! NOT NOW--crap.

Started by robhaerr, 2014-07-21 23:05

Previous topic - Next topic

robhaerr

Finally...all I needed was the CORRECT instrument cluster voltage regulator.

Now time to fill 'er up and see how accurate on the top end. Looks accurate here.

Had the car 9.5 years...only ran out of gas twice...and the wife was not happy when she was with me.

Rob

hotroddonnie

That's great Rob! Amazing how good it feels to see all the gages working. Mine all work but my gas gage is off. I do know that at quarter its empty. HRD

Ecode70D

It's always a good feeling to have a good working fuel gauge.  Running out of gas with the wife in the car does not go over too well.

robhaerr

Crap...now fuel gauge not working.

Needle all the way past empty. It was working, but then I ran the car pretty good and it went away.

I was using an instrument voltage regulator from Mac's, part number B9MZ-10804-C.

Tried another...nothing. Had battery unhooked when installing and regulator was screwed to back on panel with stock screw for ground before starting.
Temperature gauge not hooked to engine, but wires are hooked to gauge with no lead going to engine. Using aftermarket Sun Pro temp gauge with the 302.

Haven't pulled the fuel gauge to see if it is fried.

Frustrated.

canadian_ranchero

ground the sending unit wire and the gauge should go to full.

Lucky'57

Well, the book says " The amount of fuel in the tank does not affect the following test procedures. Turn the ignition switch ON, and check for voltage at the gauge feed wire. The voltage should oscillate between zero and about 10 volts. If ot does not, the instrument voltage regular is at fault (I guess we've already covered this), OR there is a short to ground between the voltage regulator and the gauges. Replace when necessary."

Got to be a short somewhere...
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Hoosier Hurricane

You may have lost the ground between the sender and the frame.  I usually put a jumper wire from the sender to the body.  John

RICH MUISE

Wow...I just got a great education on fuel sending units/gages. This info is not '57 Ford specific, but may be helpful resolving problems. I'm wondering if some of the members with issues are using aftermarket sending units with a close, but maybe not exact ohm range.
The first link is a troubleshooting guide, the second a product list.
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=159/home_id=-1/mode=cat/cat159.htm

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=276/category_id=62/mode=prod/prd276.htm
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Rich, that info is definitely worth a karma point. Maybe put the link in the tech area. thanks.......

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

I was waiting to see if others thought the same...I liked their approach of explaining/detailing it so a layman could understand it. lol...this old dog can still learn stuff as long as they talk to me like I'm 12.

robhaerr

Thanks guys...

I am electrically challenged, so I appreciate all the info!

Rob

robhaerr

Thanks Guys...

I just lost the ground because the o-ring I am using between the tank and sending unit is a tad too thick. I trimmed it down and needle is moving again.

Now to find a good o-ring that will seal good that is not too thick. Gas leaks out of the opening and makes people nervous.

Rob

RICH MUISE

I may be wrong, but I believe that calls for a cork gasket, not an o-ring

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-09-20 17:48
I may be wrong, but I believe that calls for a cork gasket, not an o-ring
Rancheros and wagons use an O ring type gasket. It's not a conventional type O ring, more like a ribbon is the best I can describe it. I always though it was a strange design..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

robhaerr

Yeah a ribbon-type came with the new sending unit I bought from Bob Drake. More like a rubber band that didn't really work/fit.

So, I bought a o-ring. I need to find some thing that will seal and maintain the ground. Gas leaks out of the top of the tank where the sending unit sits when filled to the top. Not good.

I have to just fill the tank until almost full. Having the gauge working is a big help!

Rob