News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Throttle pedal assembly

Started by 65kcode, 2014-07-30 21:02

Previous topic - Next topic

65kcode

I am trying to figure out if this is the correct throttle setup for a 57 fairlane. My car didn't have a throttle setup, and this was in a box of other 57 parts my dad has in his shop. It appears to be cable controlled vs. A steel shaft carburator linkage.

Ford Blue blood

Nope, that is a late model cable type.  The stock 57 was kinda a S shape with the horizontal part going through the firewall, a lever pointing down in the passenger compartment and a lever pointing up in the engine bay.

Some one may have a picture and can post it, I don't.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

65kcode

Thank you, I was thinking that was probably the case. Anybody have any pictures of a stock piece?

RICH MUISE

I'll see if I can find mine tommorrow and snap some pics.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Found it..complete with all the hardware. The throttle rod is for a 6 cyl.

65kcode

Thanks Rich, I'll keep my eyes open for one of those then.

Kevin

RICH MUISE

I'm not using that one. Somebody should verify that the 6 cyl is the same as the 8 cyl though. I think it would be safe to assume the throttle rod is different, but the rest of the pedal may be the same.
I had to go to a cable throttle on mine because of the e.f.i.,
We did have a discusion last year on the actual pedals and the (two?)different attachment methods/designs used by Ford, apparently randomly I think was the conclusion., with that in mind, I'm not sure if this pedal in the pics has the attachment type suited for the reproduction gas pedals now being produced.....it, and ones like it, may require some fiddling to mate up smoothly with a "new" pedal.

65kcode

I actually have a NOS gas pedal, I just need the rod portion. Does anybody know if the 6 cylinder vs V8 are the same. Im sure the carburator linkage is different.

Kevin

RICH MUISE

Kevin...John (Hoosier Hurricane) responded to the querry...apparently the difference is not in the 6 vs 8, but in the trannies. Stick shift is different than Auto. The one I have is from a stick shift.

65kcode

Thanks, I'm running a stick shift. I'll message you.

Kevin

RICH MUISE

It's on it's way Kevin. I sent it priority...po says Friday.

65kcode

Great thanks again.

Kevin

Kenny

Rich I do not want to high jack the thread but curious as to what kind of cable throttle you used in the efi swap as I am starting that shortly.  Thanks

RICH MUISE

No problem with the hijack...we were done. He's got the pedal installed.
I used the oem cable/linkage off the Lincoln Mark VIII. The cable itself went in unmodified, but I had to make several mods to the pedal to get full travel when mounted to the '57 firewall.
What EFI/drivetrain  are you installing? I've got lots of pics of what I did, and how I modified the MK VIII cable/pedal to work with a '57 style floor pedal, but I don't know if they'll do you any good depending on what you're working on. In any case, I would think the best place to start would be the oem cable from the donor car....ie, even the different year Mark VIII's for example had different cables because the throttle body was in different locations.
Let us know more about your project.

Kenny

The car is a 4 door custom 300, original 272 being replaced with an efi 302 from a 1988 Mustang GT that will be fitted with an AOD from the mustang as well. The engine is a fresh overhaul with trick flow intake, mass air flow, larger throttle body, bigger injectors, B cam, upgraded rockers etc.  they rate it about 300 hp.   I am fitting  vintage air unit, have already done rack and pinion steering and will upgrade the brakes to disk during the winter as well. I plan to put a new fuel tank in with an in tank pump.  Exhaust will be either Mustang shorty headers or if they fit, full length headers as I a new set of both with the donor car.  I also got a ceramic Mac Pro chamber and 2 sets of new exhaust pipes and flowmaster American Thunder mufflers.  I plan to either use the Mustang harness for control or purchase an aftermarket harness.  Before I saw the donor car my plan was to strip it and use the parts but the car is actually too nice to scrap so after I am done my 57 I will assemble the Mustang and sell it.

I hadn't thought about the gas pedal issue until I read the post and hence my question about the cable.  As I am hoping to rebuild the mustang I may search the boneyard for other useable cables.  The other question I have not decided on is gauges.  I saw a very nice set up on Bobs Speedo site but while nice it comes in at about $2000 which is beyond what I want to spend.  I will likely go with original set and add oil and volts in a discreet location.  Anyway I could go on and on but that's the plan for this winter!  Thanks for the input.