News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

gas tnk pick up tube problem

Started by Raven Rider, 2014-09-22 15:35

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

I've had several Customs but only one Ranch Wagon but all have the fuel pickup separate from the fuel gauge sender unit.  The fuel pickup is a fixed, hard line soldiered in the bottom of the tank with a sock screen slide on it.  Difficult, but can be viewed through the sender and fill tube holes.  Unless you have a mini cam/scope, the tank will have to be removed for visual inspection.

After reading previous posts, I still lean toward the 'running out of gas' issue as being a fuel delivery issue that should be confirmed.  Since the tank is new, the old tank had problems that were likely rust.  That rust problem could also be in the fuel line as a partial restriction.  The fuel pump could be failing.  The fuel filter could be partially plugged.  Removing the fuel tank is a lot of work but at least it was recently installed.  It the fuel gauge and circuit has checked out, that leaves the sender which will require tank removal to R&R the sender.

RICH MUISE

I think in Jerry's case the sender itself  is not the issue as he is "running out of gas" when he knows the tank is far from empty. That's not to say he isn't getting an incorrect reading from the sender/fuel gage, but I think that would be a separate issue. If I were Jerry, I'd investigate further as to why the PO told him the pick up tube was attached and it isn't now.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Raven Rider

Rich what I was saying is there is no where to put the fuel line on the sender so it has to be direct into the tank some where I have not looked at it though.  The Pre owner did not change out the sender he tested it with an Ohm meter.  I did some testing and I think the fuel gauge might be bad or the voltage regulator on  the back side of the cluster is bad. I will have to swap it out with one of the other 2 I have.

gasman826

If the voltage regulator is bad, the temperature gauge will not read correct.

hiball3985

Quote from: Raven Rider on 2014-10-17 01:20
Rich what I was saying is there is no where to put the fuel line on the sender so it has to be direct into the tank some where I have not looked at it though.  The Pre owner did not change out the sender he tested it with an Ohm meter.  I did some testing and I think the fuel gauge might be bad or the voltage regulator on  the back side of the cluster is bad. I will have to swap it out with one of the other 2 I have.
The gas line attaches the the front lower left corner of the tank. Even if you use the vented cap it doesn't mean it works correctly, we had another post about all the cap problems, I ended up drilling a small hole in mine.. I would try running without one and see what happens before tearing into the dash.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Raven Rider

I think I have corrected this problem,about 4 weeks ago I checked the new vented cap and it took a lot of vacuum to get it to vent, so I bought a Stant 10640 gas cap that fits perfectly and takes very little vacuum to get it to vent.  I didn't have a chance to drive my wagon because I don't have a windshield in it I took it in today for the new windshield today.  I want to thank everyone for your help and suggestions and I'm a little bit embarrassed for nor checking this the day I "ran out of gas".