News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

starting my 4.6 swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2014-11-30 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

A spacer will raise the car by about 2.12 times the thickness of the spacer.
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

so i put in the original 6cyl springs with a 1/4 spacer [it is hard rubber may compress some]. with a extra 225 lbs on the front frame where the rad support goes.here are the numbers i came up with[some numbers are a estimate]front of rocker to ground 8 inch.front bumper to ground 10-11 inch.lower control arm bumper to frame 2 inch.bottom of sway bar to ground is 7 inch.i have 215-75-14 inch tires. now i jumped up and down on the front frame and could not get the lower control arm bumper to bottom out.so how do these numbers compare to other peoples cars? 

lalessi1

Bottom of bumper to ground 9 3/4" , rocker to ground 6 1/2", lower bump stop to frame, less than 3/4", swaybar to ground 5".  Aerostar springs, no spacer (Moog), stock spindles,  225/60 x 15 tires. TOO LOW.

PS...I really like the centerline of spindle axle to fender lip measurement as way to get accurate comparison numbers as it eliminates a lot of variables.
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2016-02-25 11:05
Bottom of bumper to ground 9 3/4" , rocker to ground 6 1/2", lower bump stop to frame, less than 3/4", swaybar to ground 5".  Aerostar springs, no spacer (Moog), stock spindles,  225/60 x 15 tires. TOO LOW.

PS...I really like the centerline of spindle axle to fender lip measurement as way to get accurate comparison numbers as it eliminates a lot of variables.
i am hoping to get the fenders on this weekend.then i can get the spindle measurement[hard to do with no fenders]

canadian_ranchero

got the front end on,set some of the parts in the engine compartment [rad ect.]then i put another 80 lbs on the front.so i should be close to the height.here are some of the numbers.centerline of spindle axle to fender lip is 13 inch,sway bar to ground 6 3/4,front rocker to ground 7 3/4,lower control arm bumper to frame 2 1/4 

RICH MUISE

Sounds good to me...that 13" is what I was shooting for and hoping will eventually settle to there.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

I agree, those numbers sound a lot better than mine. Dropped spindles are the ticket.
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

update;working on getting the rad and fan in and found the engine oil cooler will not fit.will need to change the part that the rad hose goes though to a oil to air one that will mount in front of the rad.was able to fit a 65 mustang battery box[will post pictures]gives me about a inch clearance between the battery and the valve cover

Lucky'57

Heck, an inch ain't nothing, unless it's on the end of your axel :)
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

canadian_ranchero

update;the first picture is of my modified 65 mustang battery box,second is with the box in the car,you can see it clears the valve cover enough to work.3rd is of the water manifold i used[98 lincoln continental]does not have a spot for the temp gauge sender,remote mounted mine in the heater hose. 4th is of the coolers install and horn relocation.still need to clean and paint the cooler brackets   

RICH MUISE

The Continental water pipes work nice for a radiator with the outlet on driver's side!, but what is the tapped hole in the passenger side of that pipe if not for a sender?
The battery tray worked out great. There is a sender on the back heater hose pipes...is that what you used? I think you were the one that told me Lincoln used it for the climate control? I'm trying to remember...does the computer require it's own water temp sender? I'm thinking I installed two.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-03-17 00:31
The Continental water pipes work nice for a radiator with the outlet on driver's side!, but what is the tapped hole in the passenger side of that pipe if not for a sender?
The battery tray worked out great. There is a sender on the back heater hose pipes...is that what you used? I think you were the one that told me Lincoln used it for the climate control? I'm trying to remember...does the computer require it's own water temp sender? I'm thinking I installed two.
the tapped hole is for the computer temp sender,the one i put in the heater hose is for the dash temp gauge. you can see that in picture #3.i see i made 700 posts :003:

canadian_ranchero

you know when you test fit parts,they should just bolt back in on final install,right?well i have been spending most of my time adjusting,modifying,changing parts to make them fit.i will give a sample of what i am saying.did the final install on the rad/fan assembly, it cleared the rad support on test fit now it hits/rubs.so out it has to come again :005:     

RICH MUISE

Frustrating isn't it??...but I have a solution...don't test fit. once they're on, leave em'!

canadian_ranchero

got all the parts/hoses/fuse panel test fitted/installed on the left inner fender.was getting ready for the final clean/paint/install on these things.then realized that i had forgot the cruse control servo.now in the process of rearranging things to make room for the servo. 2 steps ahead,4 back :005: