News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

starting my 4.6 swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2014-11-30 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Good to know what Brand the Shelby's used...they sure do sound great on the Shelby.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

i have no drone,under cruse[70mph]it is quiet inside. is only noisy/rumbles when you put your foot on the gas.happy so far.i get more noise from the air filter than i do from the exhaust[need to insulate behind right kick panel].also the motor mounts must have settled, will need to make more space between the air intake and the firewall   

Lucky'57

Hi Gary. So good to hear the 57 is up and running. Tomorrow is Sunday, you should go to church! And, there's a car show. LOL Grace Point Church, 720 - 62nd St. Bonus, they feed you for free, you just gotta believe!
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

canadian_ranchero

are you going?what time is it

canadian_ranchero

went to a local cruse night[white oaks]last night.more than one person would just stop and stare when they got to the engine.had a small coolant leak[fixed now] everything else seems to work o/k.getting ready to take the wagon to radium car show in b.c.[about a 6 hour drive]leaving this friday. modified the fire wall for more air intake clearance,and i used 57 bird hubcaps[could be dealer installed on the wagons in 57]here are some pictures

Lucky'57

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2016-09-10 18:31
are you going?what time is it
Yup! I figure all the girls will be getting out of church about 11:00, I'm gonna get a spot by the door round about 10:00. :) Hell hath no fury like a 57 Ford. Lord have mercy.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

59meteor

I went to the big Langley Good Times Cruise In , in Langley BC last Saturday. There was a couple of old Fords from Alberta, a red and black 56, and a dark blue and silver 57 Fairlane 500, with a 4.6L mod motor. The 57 also had an entire dashboard from a 2005ish Mustang in it, looked like a factory fit. While I was checking out the 57, a fellow came up and asked the owner if he had any trouble installing the Mustang dash, to which he replied, "Absolutely!!"
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

canadian_ranchero

checked my engine codes;canister purge code[solenoid removed] ,egr code[did not install the egr valve] and a/c unpluged code.[unpluged till i get the a/c install finished].still have a small p/s fitting leak.everything else should be good enough to go to radium[i hope].will bring some tools and a few spare parts and off we will go friday morning. 

RICH MUISE

My cannister purge solenoid is not hooked to anything...it's there, and wired, but just plugged on the vacumn hose fittings as I think it was you who suggested.
How is your tranny doing on hills in overdrive mode? Mine seems to want to shift in/out too often if I leave it in OD in hilly areas.
I forget what year your engine is, I think '96 so it's OBDII?   mine is OBDI, '95

canadian_ranchero

my engine is 95 [most of it],OBDI 93 mark 8 computer [no speed limiter]when i go to radium i will be driving in the mountains will be able to comment on tranny shifting when i get back

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-09-15 08:35
My cannister purge solenoid is not hooked to anything...it's there, and wired, but just plugged on the vacumn hose fittings as I think it was you who suggested.
How is your tranny doing on hills in overdrive mode? Mine seems to want to shift in/out too often if I leave it in OD in hilly areas.
I forget what year your engine is, I think '96 so it's OBDII?   mine is OBDI, '95
just got back from radium.got me there and back.a few minor issues.lots of positive comments on my wagon/engine install.about the shifting,if anything i have the opposite problem wants to stay in o/d longer than i think it should

RICH MUISE

Congrats on the successful round-trip...it sure makes a guy feel good.
Actually I misspoke...mine also wants to stay in OD longer than it should. That's when the engine seems to be bogging down and the exhaust drone is at it's worst. I find I have to take my foot off the gas under that load to get the engine to stop loading down.
Speaking of exhaust...still happy with yours after the trip?

canadian_ranchero

i think the problem is in the computer programming.the computer thinks it still has the 3.07 gears and 16 inch tires.mine still seems to pull the hills fine in o/d.i find if i push on the gas a little more it shifts to 3rd or in my case going through the mountains [national park]at 90km [55mph]speed limit i just turned the o/d off.i got about 27 mpg [us gal] on the trip.the exhaust was quieter going home so still not sure about the sound.droned some under load   

RICH MUISE

I thought the Mark Viii's had 3.23 gears, but I've got an old man's memory. the 27 mpg is great. Funny you mentioned it was quieter on the way home...mine seems to change noise level alot. Some days I wonder what I've been complaining about, other days it seems really really loud.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-09-18 23:32
I thought the Mark Viii's had 3.23 gears, but I've got an old man's memory. the 27 mpg is great. Funny you mentioned it was quieter on the way home...mine seems to change noise level alot. Some days I wonder what I've been complaining about, other days it seems really really loud.
the early ones with dual exhaust had 3.23 gears.the one i took apart had 3.07