News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

wagon interior corner panels

Started by djfordmanjack, 2014-12-10 05:20

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

I am repairing my rear corner panels  from speaker cuts and additional holes and I have some questions, can anybody point me in the right direction please ?
I have closed all holes I thought were drilled and cut additionally, including those marked with arrows. but I am not sure about the section in the red circle (this goes up under the rear inner garnish moldings behind the lift gate stands)
I believe somebody cut this era, does anybody have a pic of an original piece or measurements of total length ? what are the original screws that hold the panel in the car. mine were a total mix of junk screws. are these Philips head screws ? the panel seems to be flat, so I assume they are not countersunk ?! are all the remaining holes in the panels original ?

Ecode70D

Günter
   I just sent you an email.  I can't picture that panel in my mind.
    Jay

djfordmanjack

for better understandig it is about these wagon-only panels. questioned area is in circles

I posted several more pictures of the panels in 'my rides' section

Ecode70D

Now I know what  you mean.   I'm glad that you posted it on the site too.  Jay

MrArt2u

I've got one of those panels out of the wagon right now. If no one helps you first, I can shoot a picture tonight when I get home.

djfordmanjack

MrArt2u

Here's the pic of mine in all its glory. The 7 holes may be hard to see so I circled them. Looks to me like your panel may be a bit shorter than mine, maybe someone trimmed yours? We have a 9 passenger wagon, if that makes any difference.

Ecode70D

MRArtU 
    Thanks for posting the picture.   I have two questions.
    1. Look at my friend Gunter's picture and you will see a red arrow pointing to a notch.  Is that supposed to be there?
    2.  Are those panels supposed to be painted or upholstered.
Thanks Jay in Mass.

djfordmanjack

Jay and Mr Art,
thanx for your help, now I can figure where somebody has cut the upper corner of my panel.
Jay, I know that they put that notch in to clear the speaker wires, I have since welded them shut.
These panels are painted from factory, same color as dash and garnish moldings. the carpet and glue residue must be of an owner application.
The last thing I need to know would be the measurement from top of the panel to middle of the hole in my pic. Could you please get me that dimension Mr Art ?
then I can restore the panel to OEM specs.
Jay, you can see my efforts on the panels under 'my rides' section of the forum.

MrArt2u

Glad to help. If you give me a day or two I'll measure and make you a tracing so you have a better idea.

And, yup, mine is factory painted, had previous owner's nasty glued-on carpet AND an oil painted board featuring a still life with fruit expertly color matched to the soon-to-go interior. It was quite special. Sadly, my other half threw it out the first day we had the wagon.

Cheers,
Art.

djfordmanjack

Art, that sounds quite like an interior to have  :003:
Sometimes people are doing strange things to their cars....
I am not so much in a hurry. If you can get me that dimension until the beginning of next week, that'll be fine (would like to finish these before holidays)! Thanx alot !

MrArt2u

Didn't have much time over the weekend but, thankfully, it is a slow morning at work ;-)

Here's the quick tracing I made of my panel. I "rolled" it along the paper as I did it, I'm sure it will make sense to you once you print it out. Oh, and thanks to those Ford engineers, the paper size is slightly larger than a standard 11x17, hopefully your computer will let you print out just the section you need. Let me know if you have any questions,

Cheers,
Art.

gasman826

I checked mine today.  Those dog ears are covered by the garnish moldings.

djfordmanjack

Art, thanx alot for your efforts. Did you even make a cad drawing ?
I was able to print it out and it lines up beautifully, so now I can patch the corners to original shape.
Let me know if I can be of any help in your project.
Gasman, don't know why Ford made them so tall ( maybe this is a reinforcement area for the inner garnish molding, where the lift gate rods are), but I will repair them to OG factory specs anyways.

gasman826

Any chance Couriers would be different?