News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

dual master for drum brakes

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2015-01-11 12:26

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

here is a picture of the swap i did this summer.used a 68 mustang master for drum brakes.need to lengthen the push rod[less than a 1/4 inch].now i am taking it all off for a hydoboost and disc brake master

lalessi1

Gary, What are gonna use for the booster, I am very interested in following this part of your project.
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

plan right now is to use one from a 2002 mustang.will post pictures when i start on it

RICH MUISE

Lynn...you definetly want to watch what Gary comes up with, but in the meantime there's some threads from last year on the hydroboost installation. Look in the power brake booster section.
I'm also using a '02 Mustang, and the (Gasman) Gary is using an older hydroboost. Dgasman posted the info I needed to get mine installed.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-01-11 23:00
Lynn...you definetly want to watch what Gary comes up with, but in the meantime there's some threads from last year on the hydroboost installation. Look in the power brake booster section.
I'm also using a '02 Mustang, and the (Gasman) Gary is using an older hydroboost. Dgasman posted the info I needed to get mine installed.
i will be doing the same.here is a picture of what i will need to cut.

RICH MUISE

That dimple in the center of your marked area can be used to locate a 2" dia hole saw. If I had a mill available when I did mine, I would have made a 1/2-3/4" aluminum spacer plate to put between the booster and the firewall. It would make fabricating a new pushrod much easier as things get tight in there.

lalessi1

Thanks for the info Rich. My car came with a dual master, probably from the same car the brakes came off of. Don't know what mods, if any were made to date.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Lynn....Sorry for the confusion...that post was diected to Canadian for the Hydroboost install....that hole modification is required on those. So your last post has me confused as well...I thought you were considering a hydroboost.

lalessi1

Rich, you are not confused. I am confusing, all the time (according to my wife),LOL. I really am thinking about the hydro-boost, I just don't know what lurks beneath what I have.....more of a comment.
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-01-15 07:33
That dimple in the center of your marked area can be used to locate a 2" dia hole saw. If I had a mill available when I did mine, I would have made a 1/2-3/4" aluminum spacer plate to put between the booster and the firewall. It would make fabricating a new pushrod much easier as things get tight in there.
thanks Rich for the information

canadian_ranchero

well i fitted the hydroboost today.it hits my 1961 wiper motor i put in last year :005:will now need to redo my wipers.2 steps ahead,4 back!!!!!!!

RICH MUISE

2 forward 4 back...you're on the right path!

Ford Blue blood

I've been mulling over this brake booster thing.....my 90 T-Bird SC had hydro boost but the power came from an electric pump.  Two switches and relays controlled the thing.  Might be the way to clean up the engine bay and get great brakes at the same time?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

I don't know but I thought the electric pump was for backup on hydroboost systems?
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

i needed to repair the wiper cables anyway