News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero build

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2015-09-12 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Looks like there were accident repairs on this one as well.  That was prior to the pan under the gate being pushed up against the rear cross member!  The old cross member was partially cut out and up so it came out.  Put in a new piece using a trimmed down thick wall 2" X 4" tubing.  Used a home made spreader to push the pan out and many hours of hammer/dolly work to shrink up the stretched portions.  Still have a little more work on it.  While working it found the area under the tail light was eaten up and "repaired" with bondo.  Made the two patches (many hours with a hammer and anvil for the piece under the tail light) and have them welded in.  Still need some clean up work there before the sand blasting begins.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

Looks good!  Did you replace the tailpan with a used one or was yours a different shade?  My hinge, boxed in area looks straight and undamaged but the tailpan area is really trashed and full of filler...really thick filler.  Since tailpans are a rust and/or collision damage area, a used one would be rare.  I'm considering one of those reproduction panels for a Custom and modifying it to fit.

Ford Blue blood

No, it is the original pan.  The hinge area and the flat part where I bolted the tank supports to is in good shape.  The pan it's self was bent in, touching the rear cross member.  I haven't figured out how many hours I have working that panel but I think it is a bunch.  Used a pick and dolly to shrink the stretched parts, haven't put heat on it yet, that will be the last step if I'm not happy with the metal work.  While the damage is a little hard to see it was a mess!  The bondo repairs were under the tail light.

I did try to find a replacement panel and even a partial but had no luck.  Hadn't thought about the Custom pan, might be that would work.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Limey57

Mine had also rotted away beneath the tail lights and suffered a Bondo "repair" so I feel your pain!  Good progress, there's a lot of people who would have been scared away by the rust.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Trying to figure out what's going on with the tail light housings...from a Fairlane?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Yup....they were on the car, was going to build a "Fairlane" style Ranchero, 500 fins, 2drth doors etc. until I figured out it would be a shame to "mess up" an already great style....plus the work required was very frightening!  Wasn't sure I could hone my skills enough to get there from here.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Been working on a bunch of little stuff that really is not photo worth.  Getting ready to put in the AC/Heater lines, finishing the dash (ready for final block) and closing up about 10,000 holes (factory installed under the bed stainless) that let water into the quarters.

Have the dash ready for final block, had to put the stuff in it to keep things going!  Did paint the under side white to eliminate the "dark hole" the wiring is in.

Made brackets to mount the condenser.  Looks like it will be good.  Bought the largest that would fit, will run the lines and update that as soon as I get the two fittings I ordered.

Funny thing, (really sad when you get right down to it), tried to purchase a #8 135* male bead lock fitting.  Every parts house in the Birmingham area except one looked at me like I was from outer space!  All of them had no idea what the heck I was talking about!  The one guy that did says "we no longer stock those fittings".

Any how, here are the pics....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

All looking good. I like your dash mods. I'm not quite sure about the different arrangement for your A/C, only because the left side is oem. I'm thinking once the steering wheel is in, it's gonna flow alot better though. I really like your gage arrangement.
I have the biggest posible condenser as well...I think Vintage Air's second largest they make. Had a hell of a time routing the lines from it. The hydraulic hood lift conversion I did helped a ton there as there is nothing extending below the hood hinge bracket. I still ended up having to get a high dollar right angle fitting to make it work.....not a whole lot of room between the condenser outlet and the hinge bracket to make a turn.

Ford Blue blood

Thanks Rich.  The hose routing will be off the compressor to between the radiator and the support.  The #8 will go to the 135* I'm waiting on, the #10 return line will go through the inner fender in front of the battery, back through the inner at the top and then down into the kick panel.  The #6 will go up to the drier which will be in the area in front of the battery, through the inner fender and follow the same route as the #10.  A dry run looks like it will all fit.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

The dash is back in for the center console build.  Hoses are all run, need to put her back up in the air to run transmission cooling lines (last of the fluid line replacement) and do a last check of all fasteners and fittings.  Dryer would not fit in front of the battery so it moved to the inner fender.  The bracket holds the hoses of the tire and is mounted with the battery box fasteners.

The bed was sand blasted prior to me purchasing the car.  Got an estimate to have it redone and will haul it there because I can't run and get sand, spend countless hours with my pea shooter in 90* plus heat and clean up the mess for a buck and a quarter!

Made covers for the two body mounts in the bed.  Just never figured why Ford would put a "cup" that holds dirt and water so I replaced the hardware and welded the covers in place.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

All looks great. I'm impressed with the speed you're getting things done once you finally got around to working steady on it.

Ford Blue blood

Couple of more shots I failed to down load as life got in the way.....again!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2016-08-28 07:48
The dash is back in for the center console build.  Hoses are all run, need to put her back up in the air to run transmission cooling lines (last of the fluid line replacement) and do a last check of all fasteners and fittings.  Dryer would not fit in front of the battery so it moved to the inner fender.  The bracket holds the hoses of the tire and is mounted with the battery box fasteners.

The bed was sand blasted prior to me purchasing the car.  Got an estimate to have it redone and will haul it there because I can't run and get sand, spend countless hours with my pea shooter in 90* plus heat and clean up the mess for a buck and a quarter!

Made covers for the two body mounts in the bed.  Just never figured why Ford would put a "cup" that holds dirt and water so I replaced the hardware and welded the covers in place.
Ford Blue Blood.........I've had the same question about the two Ranchero Body Mounts in the bed that hold water and dirt and wondered what I could do. Did you do anything else to the bolt etc., or just install the bolt and washers etc., and weld the cover in.
I'm wondering about taking it apart in the future. Don't want to even think about taking it apart again, but stranger things have  happened.
Thanks
John

Ford Blue blood

Used the ol heat wrench to blow out the old bolt head, ground the shank flat, center punched, drilled (slow long process), punched and pried the remains out, dropped in a new 1/2" bolt and tightened down, spot welded the head to the bed and put the cover on.  The new bolt will stay with the bed if it ever comes apart but I'm now worried about that as I expect the car will be around after I'm long gone!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2016-08-31 08:31
Used the ol heat wrench to blow out the old bolt head, ground the shank flat, center punched, drilled (slow long process), punched and pried the remains out, dropped in a new 1/2" bolt and tightened down, spot welded the head to the bed and put the cover on.  The new bolt will stay with the bed if it ever comes apart but I'm now worried about that as I expect the car will be around after I'm long gone!
Ford Blue Blood............thanks for the reply, it is exactly what I thought it would be. Don't see another way to do it. My body is off the frame so I've already done that PITA part of getting those two bolts out. On reassembly, I'll follow your lead and weld a bolt in place.
Thanks
John