News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero build

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2015-09-12 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Spent the week (part time) in the shop.  Got all the wiring hooked up and tested.  The turn signal and high beam indicators turned out just perfect!  Used the 1/2" conduit, stock 57 light bulb sockets, and LEDs.  They shine very nicely when hot.  Used blue LEDs in the gauges (sorry, from China, couldn't find USA made) and love the look.  Horn works, light wires get hot as they should, fuel gauge responds, and the volt gauge says all is well.  Engine turns over with the key.  Next is fill the transmission, add water, bleed the brakes, and fire the thing off with a nurse tank, it will be after Christmas, will be entering the "techno black out zone" in a few days, that and getting ready for the trip will eat up a bunch of time.  This might be my last progress update until after the new year.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Looks great Bill. Have a great trip up North for Christmas.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2016-12-07 17:43
Spent the week (part time) in the shop.  Got all the wiring hooked up and tested.  The turn signal and high beam indicators turned out just perfect!  Used the 1/2" conduit, stock 57 light bulb sockets, and LEDs.  They shine very nicely when hot.  Used blue LEDs in the gauges (sorry, from China, couldn't find USA made) and love the look.  Horn works, light wires get hot as they should, fuel gauge responds, and the volt gauge says all is well.  Engine turns over with the key.  Next is fill the transmission, add water, bleed the brakes, and fire the thing off with a nurse tank, it will be after Christmas, will be entering the "techno black out zone" in a few days, that and getting ready for the trip will eat up a bunch of time.  This might be my last progress update until after the new year.
Bill..............P.M. sent you you sir.
Thanks
John

Ford Blue blood

Been a long slow month!  Had two "house" issues to fix.  Took two weeks to get all that done. 

Been "harvesting" parts for the Ranchero from my stash left over from the 300 I parted a couple years ago.

The doors are aligned and alignment holes drilled to put them back in the same spot after paint goes on.  Cleaning and lubing the window regulators, door latches and mechanism, lock cylinders and linkages. As a bye note, found the key code on the passenger door lock finger (the little fork thingy that goes between the cylinder and the latch mechanism).

Cut holes in the panel under the bed to mount the speakers.  They will go in the bed side under the bed.  Pics to follow, (camera battery was dead and is charging).
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Alrighty then......picture of the back panel sanded, cleaned, and painted after the openings were cut in for the speakers.  One on each side.

The tape on the door was put on before all the sheet metal replacement was started.  I used it to check the "fit" on both sides as rusty stuff was cut out and after the new was spotted in prior to final welding.  The shift in alignment is a result of fitting/gapping the doors after all new panels were welded in and the car has had several ups and downs on the jack stands.  Figured any "settling" would be done by now.

1/8" reference hole are then drilled to ensure the doors go back in exactly as they were after painting is done.  Greatly reduces the chance of "hickies" when reassembling.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

I seldom endorse a product but feel I should with this one.  It is a rust remover.  Found through using it over the last six months the best method for cleaning the rust.  I first wire brush the heavy, flaky rust off.  Soak overnight in the stuff.

Comes out looking black/gray.

Wire brush them again and the parts are ready for prime and paint.

All the parts in the pictures were covered with mild to heavy surface rust. 
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

gasman826

Mavaholic

I wonder if it's sold in 55 Gallon drums. Gonna need it for my Ranchwagon.

RICH MUISE

Everything is looking good......still trying to figure out your speaker placement though. Is this an in-the-bed tailgate party thing?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

Quote from: Mavaholic on 2017-01-29 17:16
I wonder if it's sold in 55 Gallon drums. Gonna need it for my Ranchwagon.
That's a very good question.  I know that it comes in 5 gallon containers and also in containers needing water to be added.  My local auto parts store gets $22 + for a gallon ready mixed.
Terry

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2017-01-28 11:45
Alrighty then......picture of the back panel sanded, cleaned, and painted after the openings were cut in for the speakers.  One on each side.
As I look at your photo, I'm pretty sure the speakers are in the panel below the rear window, and below the truck bed level, with the speaker protruding into that open space below the truck bed and behind the panel, below the rear window, that joins the floor. My Ranchero, builtin San Jose Ca. has a matched pair of large openings in this same area where I believe you have located your speakers. When I say large, they are 20" X 6". Not a perfect rectangle.........as the opening approaches the drive shaft tunnel, the opening slopes up at an angle. I'm confident they are "Factory" openings as there is a stamped edge completely around the opening, and both left and right are identical in shape and size, but reversed for left and right sides. I've seen some Rancheros like mine and some with a solid panel, which is what I believe you have.
Anyone know why they are different? Perhaps different plants?

Wirenut

Amen to the Evaporust product. I've been using it for years and it's the best rust removal product of any I've tried. I do recommend using it in a closed container because it does evavorate if left open. Nice work or your Ranchero, thanks for posting photos.

Wirenut

Amen to the Evaporust product. I've been using it for years and it's the best rust removal product of any I've tried. I do recommend using it in a closed container because it does evavorate if left open. Nice work or your Ranchero, thanks for posting photos.

Ford Blue blood

My Ranchero, built in San Diego, does not have the "tool box" openings.  Mine was an early production run.  Decided to put the speakers in that location because I just don't like them in the doors.  Don't even ask why, have no idea where that little hang up came from!

Saw the Evaporust on one of those TV car shows and thought I would give it a try.  Like that it is not caustic, it is kind to skin, and is bio degradable.  Have not killed the first hunk of grass in front of my shop!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Been cleaning and de-rusting every thing that will go back in the car after paint.  I think I have all the bits and pieces now thanks to Rich.

Started working on the door panels.  Cut them out of thin plywood.  Still have to locate the arm rest holes but that will happen when I decide on them.  In the mean time got my finish scheme figured out.  Going to use 64 - 65 Bird door trim.  Almost a perfect fit.

The upper portion of the trim that goes under the door handle needs to be flattened out.  After that it then reaches the very bottom of the window garnish.  That turned out to be a "fall in it and come smelling like a rose" as I had no idea before I started.  I like it but just created a bunch of extra work....oh well.

I see smooth, padded upholstery above the wide trim, horizontal pleats the same width as the seat pleats below and carpet under the thin piece.  Thinking a light tan or a heavy cream with a slight pearl in it as the 61 - 63 Birds had.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero