News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero build

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2015-09-12 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

great work ! loving the T bird hood !

gasman826

so surprising how close to fitting those early and mid '60s TBird hood skins are to '57 hood.  Still, not for the novice.  Great job!  When I was looking for the chrome insert for a '65, I remember finding NOS suppliers with the early '60s NOS insert.

RICH MUISE

your usual super work, Bill. That's going to look sharp, and that rear quarter is looking straight!
What are the plans for the Ranchero after it's finished? I see a guy occasionally at our monthly cruise here that last month told me he had been looking for a Ranchero off and on for 10 years. I told him I'd let him know if I saw anything, but then forgot to get his phone number after I gave him mine.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

This is something that I will be doing as well. Acquired the '63 T Bird hood about a year ago, and two weeks ago, I was given a very good '57 hood. My lucky day. I really appreciate the photos.........they help me a lot in visualizing how to do this. Great work sir. On my way to Orange Beach this summer, maybe I could stop in and take a look at your Ranchero and get some pointers.
John

Ford Blue blood

Thanks much guys.  Was going to cut the scoop off the 63 and graft it to the 57 hood. The 63 hood was leaning against the two 57 hoods I have and I noticed the shape was really close.  Turns out there was less then 1/8" gap between the 57 frame and the 63 skin.  I decided to cut the 63 skin and see how it fit on the 57 frame and if it was not as good as it seamed I could then cut the scoop off and graft it.  After clamping it down and getting no buckles I decided to do the skin job.  The little "bump" at the tail end of the 63 scoop just before it fades into a flat surface is the same height as the bump at the rear of the 57 hood.  Some times it is good to be lucky! I will paint both the stock hood and the "Bird" hood when I do the car.

John you're welcome any time.

Gary I have a bunch of 61 - 63 Bird stuff left over from the 62 build I did several years ago. 

Rich, no plans for it at this time.  Might just get caught up in the "herd thinning" as that will be my 4th classic to maintain!  Have this little problem with not being able to part with them after all the blood, sweat, and tears are completed!  Not sure if I have many/any more builds left in me?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ford Blue blood

Got the quarters blocked along with the jams.  Got second coat of primer on ready for the second blocking.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Put some shiny stuff on the back side of a couple of parts.....:<)
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Limey57

I'm still catching up on all the threads on here and I have to say that hood is very impressive!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Jeff Norwell

Outstanding Bill.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ford Blue blood

Bunch of "long board" work and removal of finger prints and a fine manicure (at no cost) with 400 and the second blocking is done on the quarters, door jams, windshield frame, and rear panel.  One more application of primer and the final blocking with 600 and it will be ready for shiny stuff to the jams!  Roof is close to ready for it's first primer application, then seal the drip rails and seam above the windshield.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Looking good, Bill. Was this the build you had a color for that changed in different lighting/viewing angles?

Ford Blue blood

Yes it is.  In the shop it looks almost black.  Outside in the sun it is very dark, almost black, until the sun hits it and the pear and flake jump out through the dark red.  Said back then I might regret going with such a dark color, proving out to be the case.  The smallest of low spots bug the doo doo out of me at this point.  I know, it is my anal approach to making things as good as I can and it is heightened by the dark color.  We are very close to being ready for the dark color.  Just hope the doors and tail gate are as close to perfect as they seam right now.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Got the primer on, ready for the final blocking.  Be a day or two before that happens.  Put it back on the ground to do the roof, seal the rain gutter, block the roof, then some shiny stuff!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Front splash pan was ready for paint.  Hit it while waiting for the primer to cure.  Pretty happy with the results.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

That's so pretty in all lighting!