News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero build

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2015-09-12 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Got a break in the weather, not raining and not colder then a well diggers butt.  Put some primer on the fender that has been beat to as close as I can get it.  First coat so the blocking can begin.

Got the seat belt anchor points mounted.  Went with Julianos' belts and anchors.  The retractor is out board and the latch is inboard.  Got them in place and pop-riveted them to the floor boards to keep them in place.  Should have done this a lot earlier in the process but did not have the console in place due to a little oversight, the left air vent needed a little trim to allow the console to slide up all the way.  The floor reinforcement plate happens to fit snugly between the frame rail and the floor board on the outboard side.  Just hope it doesn't transmit road noise into the cab.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ford Blue blood

Alighty then, dodging rain, pollen and wind I did manage to get the fenders ready for paint.  Did the gas door as well.  Pretty happy, they are blocked out with 400, only one "break through" which will be spotted with thinned primer prior to the final scuffing and sealing for paint.  Have them jammed, got the eye brows fitted and sealed them with seam sealer.  Will hang and align the fenders, put the hood on and align it when both my "Ford guys" are available to help.  These were the last sheet metal that needed to be worked and finished.  That light at the end of the tunnel is not an on coming train!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

KYBlueOval

Bill, looking very good. Some day I'll get there too. I have question.........you seam sealed the eyebrows. I had never given that a thought until I read that you had done it.  Exactly what are you sealing; the studs that mount them? And will the seam sealer present an issue if you would need to remove them in the future, being that they are pot metal and thus somewhat fragile?
You always have excellent reasons for what you do, so I thought I'd ask, and get educated.
Thanks
John

Ford Blue blood

Thanks John.  I put a bunch of the sealer around each of the studs prior to putting them on the fender.  Next I put the sealer around the stud on the inside prior to the straps and nuts going on.  Both the inside and out side of that area were cleaned, de-rusted, primed and painted.  The back side of the eyebrows was treated the same.

I did all of that so they would never have to be removed.  Closing up all the access of dirt and water will stop any corrosion from forming behind or around the eyebrow.  After it cures I will hit the area with a real heavy coat of rubberized under coating.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

KYBlueOval

Thanks Bill.........to be clear, you did not put seam sealer in the gap between the eyebrow and the fender,correct?

Ford Blue blood

Nope, just around the areas where the holes in the fenders would be covered.  None squished out between the fender and the brow on the outside.  It did squish in around the holes and studs on the inside which gives me a pretty good idea the holes are sealed up.  After the straps and nuts were all snugged up I use a small acid brush to spread the excess around and over the nut and strap.  I will probable be cursed by the next guy but there will be no water or dirt intrusion there!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

KYBlueOval

Thanks Bill, ....... as to being cursed by the next guy, there is no doubt in my mind!

Ford Blue blood

OK, starting to look like a car again!  Got the fenders, splash panels and chin installed by myself.   Pretty nervous, slow and a bunch of tape but they are in and happy with the gaps.  No chips or scratches.  Next is the hood, haven't figured out how get that bad boy in place without a second person.  Really don't want to put my friends on the spot given we are all well experienced and the crowd is thinning out.  Been playing with the idea of hanging it from the chain hoist and rolling the car under it......have to ponder my belly button on that one....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Frankenstein57

Nice work, looks like its coming together

RICH MUISE

Looking great Bill. I'm curious what the two thingies are on the tailgate that look like small louvers. I'm guessing it's just overspray where you were supporting the tailgate?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Yup, just overspray from jamming.  The car has been blocked with 400, going back with 600 before paint.  Most of the overspray goes away with that run of paper.  I just hate doing that kind of work but it goes with the job.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

One more time the "jerry rig" gods have been good to me.  Got the hood mounted, once again no chips or scratches.  Hung that bad boy up and carefully pushed the car under it.  I made sure it was centered up on the hood prior to the "close approach" to put the bolts in.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Got it aligned, hood latch in and working perfect and the stop latch.  Pretty happy with the overall look.  The 62 Bird scoop looks like it is supposed to be there (IMHO).
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

lalessi1

Yeah you're right! That hood looks like Ford should have done that. Clever job on the hood install, I have always tended to do things by myself as well.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Looks great, I like the tbird scoop. I wish I came out as battle scar-free when I installed the engine alone. Good thinking.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe