What Rear Shocks are available for Rancheros and Wagons?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-12-14 08:43

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Looking for information on what rear shocks are available for my Ranchero and where to get them. I'm aware of a E-Bay listing for Gabriel shocks that fit.............just wanting to known all of my options before I make a purchase and have buyers' remorse.
Thanks
John

hiball3985

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2015-12-14 08:43
Looking for information on what rear shocks are available for my Ranchero and where to get them. I'm aware of a E-Bay listing for Gabriel shocks that fit.............just wanting to known all of my options before I make a purchase and have buyers' remorse.
Thanks
John
John, do a search for the KYB, I think I recall they had some also.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

KG5526  at Rockauto

Edit: If I had found KYB for the rear at the time I would have used them rather then the Gabriel..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

Haven't bought mine yet but I'm looking through the Rancho RS 9000 catalogue. They don't list specifically for a 57 Ford so you have to find your compressed length, extended length, stud,ring mount etc.. and go from there. I like the 9-way adjustability for tuning for drag racing or for whatever extra weight you may be carrying.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

lalessi1

Google PST Suspension..... they list Bilsteins for '57 Rancheros.
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-12-14 18:34
Google PST Suspension..... they list Bilsteins for '57 Rancheros.
I checked them out and they list them but only have generic photos, I like to see the actual part. They have KYB listed also at the highest price I have ever seen them..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I thought so too, I don't think their part numbers are Bilstein. I am pretty sure Bilstein has shocks for our cars, the trick is finding them... I found the AK's for the front at Summit but I haven't looked for the rears. I have Gabriel Hijackers now....
Lynn

KYBlueOval

I've done some research and here is what I found. I called Bilstein ( 704 663 7563 ) to find out if they had shocks for our applications. No surprise ,they said they had no such listings. They asked if I had the specs. Now, bear in mind I'm inquiring about shocks for a Ranchero, so I'm pretty sure the front shocks are the same across all '57's, but I don't believe that is the case on the rear shocks.
I did not have the O.E.M. specs, but I did have the KYB Specs from the KYB website. Are they spot on the same as O.E.M.? I have no clue. Long story,made short. Bilstein has shocks that are close to the KYB Specs. I'll post the Specs. below.

Front

KYB  KG 4515          14.57                            Extended Length         13.9                 Bilstein 33-230306

9.65                              Compressed Length       9.4

4.92                              Stroke                          4.5

Ranchero Rear

KYB KG 5526         20.43                            Extended Length              20.45         Blistein 24-185684 

12.48                            Compressed Length         12.83

7.95                            Stroke                             7.62

As I recall,Bilstein also confirmed that the shock mounts were correct for my Ranchero. I'll call them again, and ask the same questions, as I've found that a lot of what you get, depends upon who you talk to. Kinda like calling Medicare. I always call 3-4 times asking the exact same question. It's amazing how different the answers can be. So, I'll do the same thing with Bilstein,over several days and see if I get a consistent answer,as there is no direct fit solution. 
Amazon has the Bilstein Fronts @$80.00 and the Rears @ $83.00.
So,now that you have looked all of this over, what is your opinion? Are the Bilsteins close enough to the KYB Specs to work?
John

lalessi1

I went to Summit to see if they had these.... they did. The fronts do not have the same "T" connection at the bottom. The rear shocks should have a "T" connection at the top and a "Pin" connection at the bottom. What is shown doesn't match at all (it seems to be upside down). I am not sure if the cross piece that goes through the eyelet to make the "T" is a separate part.  I still believe the AK's are the deal for the front.
Lynn

hiball3985

I've run into the same situation where the mountings never look correct in the pictures, sometimes they just use a generic picture and without seeing the actual part I pass on them..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Summit is pretty good about accurate pictures....I think.
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-12-17 09:35
Summit is pretty good about accurate pictures....I think.
Maybe I'm missing something but I can't even find a rear shock for a Ranchero listed at Summit
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Search Summit for  Bilstein 24-185684.

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2015-12-17 05:23
I've done some research and here is what I found. I called Bilstein ( 704 663 7563 ) to find out if they had shocks for our applications. No surprise ,they said they had no such listings. They asked if I had the specs. Now, bear in mind I'm inquiring about shocks for a Ranchero, so I'm pretty sure the front shocks are the same across all '57's, but I don't believe that is the case on the rear shocks.
I did not have the O.E.M. specs, but I did have the KYB Specs from the KYB website. Are they spot on the same as O.E.M.? I have no clue. Long story,made short. Bilstein has shocks that are close to the KYB Specs. I'll post the Specs. below.

Front

KYB  KG 4515          14.57                            Extended Length         13.9                 Bilstein 33-230306

9.65                              Compressed Length       9.4

4.92                              Stroke                          4.5

Ranchero Rear

KYB KG 5526         20.43                            Extended Length              20.45         Blistein 24-185684 

12.48                            Compressed Length         12.83

7.95                            Stroke                             7.62

As I recall,Bilstein also confirmed that the shock mounts were correct for my Ranchero. I'll call them again, and ask the same questions, as I've found that a lot of what you get, depends upon who you talk to. Kinda like calling Medicare. I always call 3-4 times asking the exact same question. It's amazing how different the answers can be. So, I'll do the same thing with Bilstein,over several days and see if I get a consistent answer,as there is no direct fit solution. 
Amazon has the Bilstein Fronts @$80.00 and the Rears @ $83.00.
So,now that you have looked all of this over, what is your opinion? Are the Bilsteins close enough to the KYB Specs to work?
John
Lynn

hiball3985

Heres what comes up and doesn't look anything like the rear shock.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

70 1/2-74 Camaro rear shocks are the same,
Monroe 5005
Gabriel  45067
Motorcraft AB6
Delco 50077
Ford B7A-18125-J, R22-D

Ron.