I need advise on a 5.8 Liter, 351 Motor and AODE Transmission Combination

Started by KYBlueOval, 2016-03-09 16:06

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I'm at the point in my Ranchero build that I've been looking for a engine and transmission, and I've found what I THINK I want, but need advise from the more knowledgeable late model Ford folks, here on the Forum.
I have a friend that has a truck and van salvage yard. He has a '94 Bronco with a 5.8 Roller Motor that I think I want to use in my Ranchero. I want to couple that engine to a AODE transmission.  Now, here is where I need advise.
My friend that owns this yard is very knowledgeable about OEM parts ,what trucks have what parts and what will interchange to what truck. What he readily admits to not knowing is, will this 5.8 Liter motor, in this '94 Bronco, with four wheel drive, couple up to a AODE transmission, from a completely different vehicle, and assuming it does, what or which computer do I use to make it shift and function in conjunction with the 5.8 liter motor? Did I make that clear?
I'm hoping that someone else has been down this road before me and can tell me what will work and what will not work.
Thanks
John

canadian_ranchero

are you going with fuel injection on the engine?i would use the 4r70w transmission.i have been told the computer from a 94-95 2wd with the 4r70w trans will work.some had mass air,so try to find that one.if you are going with a carb,you can buy a aftermarket trans controler 

KYBlueOval

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2016-03-09 18:08
are you going with fuel injection on the engine?i would use the 4r70w transmission.i have been told the computer from a 94-95 2wd with the 4r70w trans will work.some had mass air,so try to find that one.if you are going with a carb,you can buy a aftermarket trans controler
Yes, Fuel Injection.  Is the 4r70w Transmission a big case or a small case transmission?
And do you know if the bolt pattern on a AODE behind a 4.6 liter is the same as the bolt pattern on a 5.8 liter?
Thanks
John

gasman826

Windsor motor does not interchange with 4.6 modular.  Bronco Windsor will have rear sump oil pan.  Pan, sump and dipstick will need to be changed.  Take the whole Bronco to get every wire, switch, sensor, as well as ECM.  Give it back to him when you are done!

SkylinerRon

With the late model F.I. engines and OD trans you need to literally remove EVERY part of the drivetrain, electronics and
fuel systems and transplant them into the older chassis. Major work even if everything comes from the same vehicle.
An FE and C-6 or Y-Block and C-4 are as much gain without all the pain.....
Your car, your choice.

Goodluck,

Ron.

JPotter57

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2016-03-09 22:41
With the late model F.I. engines and OD trans you need to literally remove EVERY part of the drivetrain, electronics and
fuel systems and transplant them into the older chassis. Major work even if everything comes from the same vehicle.
An FE and C-6 or Y-Block and C-4 are as much gain without all the pain.....
Your car, your choice.

Goodluck,

Ron.
Ron, as always I appreciate all the replies. I readily admit that my knowledge of Ford engines and transmissions, and what will work with what, is close to ZERO. Thus I lay my lack of knowledge out in front of the Forum and look for help, advise and guidance.
It's been suggested to me , to forget the AODE and use an AOD ( small case )transmission. Do you know if there are any issues with putting the '94 Bronco Fuel Injected 5.8 and an AOD together? And yes , I realize that I'll need ALL of the driveline, electronics etc.. The compatibility issue raised it's ugly head as I was telling the owner of the salvage yard what all I wanted/needed along with the basic engine. When I said "computer", he stopped and questioned the compatibility of this engine and its computer and an AODE transmission. The owner is a friend and I can get/have anything I need in the way of parts. So getting "everything" is not an issue.
Knowing what will work with what is where I come up short. And after I distill all of this information down, I might ditch this entire idea and go in another direction as you have suggested.But I'm not at that point as of yet.
Thanks
John

KYBlueOval

Quote from: gasman826 on 2016-03-09 20:02
Windsor motor does not interchange with 4.6 modular.  Bronco Windsor will have rear sump oil pan.  Pan, sump and dipstick will need to be changed.  Take the whole Bronco to get every wire, switch, sensor, as well as ECM.  Give it back to him when you are done!
Thanks for the input. I was hoping you would weigh in on this, so I could tap into your knowledge, along with the vast knowledge of all the Forum members. I was aware of the Pan, sump etc. Not a deal breaker yet. Assuming this goes forward, I was told by others, as well as by you to get "everything". I've thought about taking the entire Bronco, and stripping out what I need, but bringing that Bronco home just won't happen. H.O.A. , neighbors etc..
I guess I should ask my question this way..........What small case AOD Ford transmission will bolt up with this '94 Bronco 5.8 engine/computer, assuming I get ALL of the necessary parts, wiring etc..?
Thanks
John

KYBlueOval

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2016-03-09 23:22
Truck fi intake wont clear hood either...
Jim, thanks for the reply. I'm aware that the intake is an issue. There is a intake that will work, but I can't tell you the details from memory, I'd have to look it up in the notes I've made about this car.
Thanks
John

JPotter57

You can use a lightning intake, ir any number of edelbrock, bbk, etc fir 351w swaps in fox body Mustangs.  Lightning will always be the coolest looking though.  If you can find a lower intake, an Explorer upper will bolt on, be a lot cheaper. That lower intake is hard to find though and usually sells for 400+.  Ive seen a couple aftermarket intakes on ebay for cheap though so shop around...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2016-03-09 19:24
Yes, Fuel Injection.  Is the 4r70w Transmission a big case or a small case transmission?
And do you know if the bolt pattern on a AODE behind a 4.6 liter is the same as the bolt pattern on a 5.8 liter?
Thanks
John
the 4r70w is a wide ratio aode same case,the 5 liter,5.8,3.8 and 4.2 are the same bolt pattern.a  mustang 5 liter would be a easier swap,intake would fit,trans and computer would work. assuming they are from the same car.a crown vic would also work

SkylinerRon

John,
I just don't have the expertise on later model/fi stuff to risk giving advise on them.
My best bud is an 5.0/fi guy so I depend on him for them.

I'm doing a 78 Zephyr, 302/C-4 for a Touring/trip  car so I have been thinking about FI and OD for it but,
I have a steep learning curve for sure.

You might try  FourEyedForums.com it's a very good source for this type of info.

As you probably know I'm a big Y-Block and FE fan and for the limited miles we drive our 57's these engines are
just fine. And look damn kool too.  I just don't need 30mpg in a cruiser, my ZX-2 daily driver will do it easily in A/C comfort.

Goodluck with whatever you do,

Ron.

KYBlueOval

Thank Ron..........I share that steep learning curve on what I propose to do engine and transmission wise. I've received some very good information here and on the Ford Barn. I won't pull the trigger on the 5.8 and AOD or AODE until I fully understand what the end result should look like and how many pictures of dead presidents I'll have to part with to make it happen.
I'll certainly try the Forum you have listed.
John

gasman826

I saved every eight cylinder, carbureted engine and transmission that I had opportunity.  I buy roller cars (no engine/transmission) with dreams of saving everyone of them.  I am traditional in the idea of Ford-in-Ford and era correct drivetrains.  But, FEs, YBlocks, Windsors, even 460s, C6s, and C4s and getting few and far between and almost all need complete rebuilds.  Trips through the machine shop and new parts carry high price tags.  I regularly see running 4.6s for $500 and less.  The cost of buying a wrecked, running 1990s or early 2000 Lincoln, Crown, or Grand is far less than the cost of a restored FE short block.  I have and have friends who flip entry level '50s and '60s cars and pickups.  We can put a reliable, late model drivetrain into an entry-level, driver for an affordable price.  The last few years at the Labor Day Auburn Auction, comparable vehicles with late model drivetrain swaps sell better.  My #3 project is a '41 Ford Business Coupe with a 4.6 Cobra/5 speed drivetrain.  Not saying this is right for everyone, just seeing a trend.

Ford Blue blood

Gary is correct about the trend.  The cost of a banged up late model is less then overhauling a 390!  The fuel injection systems make the new engines barely broke in at 100K.  The aftermarket guys make putting a "EFI" motor in almost bolt in.  For those older cars that have the chance of sitting for a couple of months between runs there is no way you can beat the "turn the key on and start it" that EFI provides!

My Ranchero is getting the 351C/AOD for one reason, it's been in the shop for close to 15 years while I was taking care of life.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II