News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering box

Started by Johnnyboy, 2016-08-19 19:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyboy

Hey all, I have a question about the steering box on my 57 wagon gasser. It is a manual box and there is a lot of play. We tried adjusting but no affect. I seems to be the original steering box on the car. Is there a rebuild kit for this type steering box or do I need to purchase a new/used one?

Any help would be appreciated!

rmk57

Might be a good time to update to a 58 or newer box with recirculating ball instead of the worm gear style in your 57.

Haven't done the swap myself but others on here have.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Johnnyboy

rmk57, I take it that the 58 or newer box with recirculating ball will fit on a 57 car?

rmk57

From what Iv'e heard, yes it is. The only issue is the horn assembly requires some mods. The 57 has the horn wire going through the steering shaft where the 58 and up have some other setup. Like I said I haven't performed this swap so my knowledge on this is limited.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ecode70D

What rmk57 said.   It is a bolt in.  I heard that the length of the 58 column is about 1 inch shorter.
Also make sure that you get the 58 pitman arm.  I'm told that they do not interchange with the 57 box.

Most likely Hiball Jim will chime in, because he has had experience with this swap. 

djfordmanjack

I know that you were talking about play in the steering box, but I hope that you have a panhard bar on your solid axle setup.
The pitman arm length was chosen quite well so that you don't have too much bump steer from the steering gear setup, but the short tie rod to the left makes for a lot of bump steer when you hit a hole and the steering force will shift your leavesprings sideways heavily, if you haven't got a proper panhard bar setup. sorry for getting off topic, but just what I observed from the pic.
also if you have trouble with the general steering/handling of the car, there are other important things like axle caster.
You probably know all of that anyways.

djfordmanjack

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2016-08-20 05:41

Also make sure that you get the 58 pitman arm.  I'm told that they do not interchange with the 57 box.

That'll be interesting to know !

Randyh

Lares Corporation in Cambridge MN can rebuild original boxes but it is a little costly.

Ford Blue blood

Boxes from 57 - 64 all bolt in with their respective pitman arm.  62 - 64 use a rag joint where the 57 - 61 have the steering shaft integral with the box.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Johnnyboy

So do I rebuild the box or is it better to purchase a new one? Is rebuilding a box something that can be done at home or is it some kind of specialized task?

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2016-08-20 06:59
That'll be interesting to know !
Jay is correct, 57and 58 pitman arms have different splines and won't inter change. I assume that is also correct for 59-64.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: Johnnyboy on 2016-08-20 09:09
So do I rebuild the box or is it better to purchase a new one? Is rebuilding a box something that can be done at home or is it some kind of specialized task?
I don't think you can find a new one and don't know what parts are available to do a rebuild. The 57 box is really a piece of crap design compared to the 58 and later ones. Rebuilding one require knowledge of setting bearing preloads and gear mesh loads, not really something for someone without that knowledge and tools. 
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Johnnyboy

Yeah it sucks because I just purchased a brand new daily driver and its eating up all the available cash for anything gasser related!

ricky knight

I have a 58 steering box with the pitman arm attached if you are interested.

Johnnyboy

ricky knight, could you PM me with more details?