News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Accessory

Started by oldgasser, 2016-09-05 17:28

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgasser

Did Ford produce a accessory ( Deluxe steering wheel) for the 1957 Ford Fairlane ?If so is there a pictures or information available
Thank you for your time.
Oldgasser

Ecode70D

I doubt it. 
The only different one that I know of is the one for some customs , police cars and taxis.    However, it would be interesting to know if there is another one for 57.

SkylinerRon

The cheap one was on Customs with manual steering.

Ron.

canadian_ranchero

i have a 57 accessory booklet that the dealer used and they do not show any steering wheels

Zapato

Haven't tried it out yet, pretty sure it will be a bolt on but if you're looking for a bit of flash a 57 mercury wheel might be just what you're dreaming of.

Zap -  :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

djfordmanjack

mine (57 Turnpike on stock Ford column).

racton

:unitedstates:The mercury wheel looks great.

Jeff Norwell

wow!!!! that's awesome!!!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Zapato

Was pretty sure it would work if you buy one try to find one with a good horn ring. They can cost as much as a wheel. Second generation THUNDERBIRD wheel is almost  (maybe is) identical. Will check the 2 in my possesion and get back to you guys.

Zap -  :unitedstates:
Zapato

Ecode70D

Günter
    Your Mercury 4 spoke wheel is beautiful.  Can I borrow it for a few years while you're not using it?
     It will give my plain old custom some class.   I'm a little busy right now, so could you install it for me also?
Thanks  Jay

djfordmanjack

Jay, this week I am busy, but try next week....hahaha....it would be a great oh-oh addition to the factory delete everything 70D..... :003:
Zap, the 58 are just a bit different in the way they are painted and strucure of that highlighted part of the rim (knobbed versus ribbed  and 4 chrome paint dividers on the wheel rim). that same second gen Turnpike cruiser design was later used for the Comet S-22 in 1962-63. you are totally right with your comment about the horn ring and center button, as they are rare and expensive. There is also the standard 57 Mercury steering wheel, which is also an X spoke design, but the spokes are covered with plastic/bakelite instead of stainless like on the Turnpike cruiser wheel. there is also a version of that Turnpike wheel, that has an out of round shape, so you could see over it. these wheels are huge at 17.5". I love the look though.

Zapato

Need to correct my last post, somehow left out Thunderbird when talking about second generation.

Zap - :unitedstates:
Zapato

oldgasser

Thanks fellows for your input on my question of a accessory steering wheel for the 57 Ford the look of the 57 Turnpike is just excellent in my opinion.
Cheers Oldgasser.

Zapato

Was really wrong on the third wheel. It's a 3 spoke wheel with chrome spears on the spokes. A bit flashier than the 57 ford wheels.

Zap - :unitedstates:
Zapato

djfordmanjack

Oldgasser, if you want to use a Merc wheel, it will absolutely fit the splines of the stock Ford Column. Look closely at my pic and you will see that the turnsignal switch housing of the Ford column is bigger than the Merc hub. This needs consideration if you want to alter those parts to make them fit or leave as is. I will make an insert from mother of pearl to cover that gap. It will add a little more Custom flash.