News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

The 300

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2016-10-27 08:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: 57chero on 2020-01-25 12:05
Where did you get the t-bird hood scoop, I would think they are pretty hard to come by. Looks like it was meant to be there , anybody not familiar with 57 fords would probably think it came that way from the factory, very nice work in deed.

Thank you.... a friend of mine in Indiana had just the scoop cut from an original..I bought it a few years back and really wanted to do this....
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ecode70D

Jeff
    Picture #268.   Is that in your shop or the body guy's?  I have to confess that I just can't keep things  that orderly.
     Your car is looking great.  When it is all done' I hope that you can find the time to really drive it as often as humanly possible.
JA 

Jeff Norwell

That is my place Jay
Thank you....

Jeff Norwell

Well.. Tom the Painter came over and we started aligning sheet metal... fitting the front assembly.... no bodywork as of yet.
Waiting for a package from Carpenter as I ordered all the rubber parts I needed for the car(door bumpers,trim stuff, etc,etc......
I shall begin wiring the car and getting the door assemblies  straightened out.
The Paint and body will take time as the cost today is .... incredibly insane.I have no area to do that work or the equipment.No proper ventilation or paint booth.
But. with perseverance.... it will happen.

My other 57 will remain in the glory of its natural state(when I get to it.)
Well. sorry for the same old boring picture....  but that's where I am.

jviera

Jeff, just a FYI I used all of Carpenter's rubber also, but the doors were almost a foot short, that was a couple of years back, but I
have notice that other members have had the same problem from time to time. You might want to check yours asap  so you will have time to send them back, they did take care of mine right away but it just screws your schedule up. Hopefully that stock has been straighten out. John V.

Ford Blue blood

They told me a bunch of 4dr rubber got bagged in 2dr packages.  Fixed me up no problem.  I ordered my stuff in mid 2018.  Found out there was a problem when it came time to glue them in place.  Glad I test fitted before putting any glue on!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Jeff Norwell

Thanks Guys..I will call them tomorrow(Monday) and see whats the skinny.

RICH MUISE

Ditto here on the short seals. Also ordered mine mid 2018. I somehow ended up with 3 seals....the one older one  was about a foot longer than the newer ones! No biggie since I had an extra seal. I just cut a piece off the extra seal (the other short one) long enough to put the added seam on the underside of the door where the seal fits into the retainer nubbies. I don't remember having a problem reaching the seals the first time I did them.....must have installed them while the doors were off the car. What a messy pita trying to reach the hinge side. Have a can of 3m adhesive remover handy!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

now something tells me I'm not looking forward in opening the 2dr door seal package....I am glad I never restored the car first place.... :003:

Jeff, your car is going to be a wild ride. Knowing that you are about to drive it a lot. imho, does this car need paint ?
those black primered fenders and parts look jsut great as they are. this is just my mind, why don't you just finish the rest of the body the same way and start driving it. it would be much cheaper and easier. who cares for paint ? :001: ( I know a lot do)

I always put it like that : Paint is just corrosion protective. like any good coat of zinc or nickel , it's about to wear anyways.... :003:

gasman826

I've installed two sets of Steele gaskets for Customs with no issues...fit great.  Must be DC did not make those.

fdlrc

Ditto on Steele seals and gaskets; used these on my car with no short-comings, fit great.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

RICH MUISE

DC made them...they have the number and DC moulded onto the seal in the dogleg area where they also identify  right and left. I'm curious how you guys attached them.......DC recommends the same 3M weatherstrip adhesive I'm assuming everybody uses, but they say to apply the adhesive only to the door, taping the seal in place for 24 hours. 3M says coat both door and seal, which is what I do. Instant grab. No issue with this new seal creating door shutting problems. After installing, it only takes a little more umph to close the door than without the seal. Really happy about that.
I did compare the new seal to the one I bought 12-15 years ago, and the old one is a little denser. Not sure if it's because of age, or if DC finally listened to us on complaining about doors having to be slammed to shut. Hopefully I'll get the pas. side (old seal) done in the next few days and get to check if the door needs slamming to close.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jeff Norwell

Thanks for all the info guys...Must say.I got a little worried about them door seals, but my box of goodies arrived yesterday and all is good!I check out both sides of the door Seals and like Rich mentioned.... there is a left and right side.
Hats off to DC...They were very kind,courteous and efficient in dealing with them.I will use them again after a good experience.
Question.. regarding door bumpers..... I have them... and on the top corner there is a small hole in the sheet metal to insert a door bumper.....BUT, since my rockers were replaced .... Not quite sure if or where the door bumper is placed in the inner lower corner....I assume there is only 2 per side(on the top and bottom) The reason I ask is I have brand new door plates and strikers and other small parts to install to get the correct door alignment.
Anyone got a quick pick of a door bumper area(bottom).. and if there are only 2?
Dumb question.. but I would like to be certain.

Gunther,.... I am seeing Tom the Painter tomorrow to help him with his A project..... I am going to put forward exactly what you have suggested.I Love Paint..... and I love a Natural old Paint wear.. but I feel its best to get all running,... mechanically,electrically and work any bugs out before going to the effort ..and cost of final paint.
I am going to Paint..... Just like Henry wanted.............Black.

rmk57

The hood scoop looks great, like it was made for the car. I guess it will be functional to whatever air cleaner setup your going to use ? 
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Jeff Norwell

Very Functional Randy.. Cutting up a big 59 Factory air cleaner.... trying a ram air thing.... Got a pattern off a try-power set up. Pics later.