News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

The 300

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2016-10-27 08:00

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

Looks great , Jeff. Question about the arm rests, both my 57 (Canadian) Ford Sedan Deliveries, had 1 piece black armrests, look pretty much the same as my 59 Meteors, rather than the hard plastic base with separate upholstered top section, I ASSumed the Customs would have as well, but I guess not, unless maybe it was a Canadian built car thing.
Also, does anybody know if all 57 Customs had black steering wheels, were colored wheels available, or was that only on the fancier models? Both my 57 Sedan Deliveries and my 57 Custom 4 door sedan, all had gray interiors with black steering wheels and gray dashboards, even though one Sedan Delivery was Cumberland Green, the other was Starmist Blue and White, and the Custom was a darker blue.
And finally, did only the Custom model have the small steering wheel horn button, and the Custom 300s had a horn ring? I have a very nice 57 Custom steering wheel and small horn button, and the spokes on the steering wheel do not have the indentations for the spokes of a horn ring, so I am guessing the steering wheel for a horn button is unique to that.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

59meteor

I am starting to sound like Lt. Columbo here, but "one more thing", Jeff, what did you use for the seat belts? At first, I bought some aftermarket silver lap belts from a company called "EZ Boy", or "Safety Boy", or something like that, my 59 never came with any seat belts, so I installed 2 for the front and 2 for the rear, I wonder if that is what the factory did, or did they install 6 belts if seat belts were ordered. Lucky for me, shortly after I moved East, a local guy had 2 brand new in the box, silver factory Ford seat belt assemblies, complete with hardware, advertised on Marketplace, for 20 bucks each, so I installed those in the front. They have a 1966 date, so newer than original, but still look pretty old school.
Also Jeff, was your Custom sold new in Canada or the USA? Reason I ask, is that you have the basic single knob heater, and I can`t ever recall seeing on of those up here, in a Canadian built car. I did have a 59 Custom 300 parts car (No Customs in 59, the base was the Custom 300), that had that small, base heater, but that was a car that I bought in Washington State, which was a real stripper (6 cylinder, 3 speed manual, no radio, or cigarette lighter, no door jam switches for the dome light, a single sun visor, etc.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

The single knob heaters were dealer installed. It would make sense that Canadian built cars would all have factory heaters.
Lynn

rmk57

Didn't both of Jeff's 57's come from Texas?

As far as armrests go mine never came with any, but it's a Custom not a Custom 300.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Jeff Norwell

Thanks guys..
I will try to answer the questions to the best of my ability.

The armrests are a 2 piece, a hard plastic base and a foam type upholstery insert.On a Bus. sedan.... they only came with one,... drivers side... or as my research indicates.The one I gave my upholstery guy had black material and it was very evident it was not factory(someone re-did it years ago.) Jesse(upholstery guy) asked what color, I said the gray material to match the rest of the car. On my Custom 300 the 4 arm rests are done in the same gray.....interesting,... when Jesse looked up that material and the color...Ford still uses it today(or lists it as a pattern and color today.... going back 60 years!
On what models.I have no idea.I found that to be fascinating.

I have a bunch of arm rests with original material from customs and custom 300's... all gray base plastic and some of the material is black.. some are gray.
So.. not too sure on the rhyme or reason.
The interior Pattern is call a "Block" pattern... only used on customs..... the Custom 300 uses the same pattern as a Ranchero.... and it was available in Gray,Green and Blue.Again... just my research.

Actually. on our site here.. at one time James took the effort to show all the different colors and patterns for each model of car.
But.. it seems hard to access here.. I just get them darned "X's" when I visit that part of our site.

I have only ever seen Black Custom wheels....But again.... who knows.
Yes.I have seen different color wheels on a custom 300 and they only came with the upgraded wheel and horn ring.

I have a custom wheel on the custom 300 at present(black n white car).. and the wheel now on the black custom is a 57 T-Bird wheel...I have to switch the wheels in the near future.

So yes. a custom wheel has a small horn button...

Both my cars are Texas cars..... the custom 300 was born in late October of 57 and and the black custom was born in Dallas in July of 57.
interesting note, the Black n White custom 300.... was only on the road from 1957-1971.... 14 years.... the same year the Dallas plant closed..... thats kinda Christine (-ish).
My seatbelts.... where I got them.... I just can't remember.... they were brand new and in a bag with all the proper hardware.
I really like the look of the Simple aircraft style clasps.
My wife really wanted them in the car..... so.I obliged.Around here it became law in the mid-late 60's (mandatory ) to have seatbelts.... and neither of my 57's had them.
I have a second set of belts I will use in the 57 custom 300 when I get to that point.

Heaters- The black custom had not heater.... it was a heater delete car..... but I found the dealer added heater in my travels complete with the accessories (black knob on the delete plate)....
The Custom 300 had a heater from the factory...
I wanted a heater for window defrost..... and to keep it cozy on cool fall days or spring days...... Like the past weekend yesterday... that little heater just took the edge off.

One last thing.. the single sun visor was made and copied from the original card board ones I have.... Jesse... asked if I wanted to copy the card board ones and I said no... please wrap them in the same material as the arm rest.

anyhow.... I am very happy with how it all turned out..... It took  3x the time to get one done.. with dates always being used back.
I will say before owing any 57 Ford.I was very much a Hot Rod guy..... Model A's. Coupla 32 Fords,Roadsters,34 Coupe ,etc, etc.....
These 2 57's far exceed the enjoyment of ANY previous cars... and now that I am driving one.... my expectations have been met with sheer Joy.
Maybe its my age now.... but I don't ever think I  will go back to a Hot Rod..... the cost has Multiplied by 1000%... and you can't get the enjoyment as I can with these 57's.
This is just my own personal thoughts.

As mentioned before.... I could have NOT attained the build on these cars by myself..... and this board and all its wealth of knowledge helped me immensely .
Jay Arrow and Pat F. really helped me.... and all you guys.... its too bad y'all live so darn Far away.

Anyhow..Thanks very much!

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Jeff Norwell

And this past Sunday was a great drive..... good for the soul.

RICH MUISE

It looks homesick to me.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Road trip for Jeff perhaps this summer?   :burnout:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Jeff, the new stock interior matches all the efforts you have gone through with Dirtybird ! I never knew you were going to go all the way, but it really pays off now. I clearly also remember the sweet feel and smell of Jay's Custom interior (same as yours) which is very rich ( albeit being the cheapest model). The texture and pattern of the cloth and vinyl are pure 50s flavor ! So great to see the black one out and about - One Mean Ride !
So looking forward to see your Custom next to Johns and Jays , next summer maybe ?

djfordmanjack

Just wanted to say X2 on all you said about driving a 57. It is NOT about age. I was a mere 25 years old when I had my first 57 and within 2 years was building my chopped and channeled flat V8 A truck, and that was one thing. WILD ! Never came close to the A+ driving experience of the 57! the wraparound windshield in a 57, the low seating position, stock seats and all, pedals, steering column, stock column shift, gauges, dash, quarter air vents, fresh air pulls, sloping hood, hooded fenders, fins in the mirrors....all combined with beautiful ride quality, low noise interior ( not speaking of big FEs)...EVERYTHING is GREAT about a '57 Ford ! ( Well...nearly everything.... :003: )

59meteor

Jeff, any thoughts on brings the 57 down to the FE Race and Reunion at Beaver Springs Pennsylvania next year? I believe that the 2024 meet will be the 12th annual event. Not sure how far you are located from Toronto, but looking on Google, it appears the Beaver Springs Dragway is only about a 6 hour drive from Toronto , it`s about 18 hours for me here in Nova Scotia. In recent years, the FE event has been in early September, although I don`t have a concrete date for 2024 yet. I have been twice, and had planned to attend with my 59 Meteor this, but a terrible weather forecast thwarted that. The 2024 event is at the top of my list for next year, be great to have more 57-59 Fords there!

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2023-11-14 10:21Jeff, the new stock interior matches all the efforts you have gone through with Dirtybird ! I never knew you were going to go all the way, but it really pays off now. I clearly also remember the sweet feel and smell of Jay's Custom interior (same as yours) which is very rich ( albeit being the cheapest model). The texture and pattern of the cloth and vinyl are pure 50s flavor ! So great to see the black one out and about - One Mean Ride !
So looking forward to see your Custom next to Johns and Jays , next summer maybe ?

I REALLY want to get down to Carver and have my 57 with Jay's WL and John V's red Missile.
I having been speaking with Jay about this.... Hopefully G. this can be attained.
Thanks for the kind and inspiring words G.... mean a ton!

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: 59meteor on 2023-11-14 17:39Jeff, any thoughts on brings the 57 down to the FE Race and Reunion at Beaver Springs Pennsylvania next year? I believe that the 2024 meet will be the 12th annual event. Not sure how far you are located from Toronto, but looking on Google, it appears the Beaver Springs Dragway is only about a 6 hour drive from Toronto , it`s about 18 hours for me here in Nova Scotia. In recent years, the FE event has been in early September, although I don`t have a concrete date for 2024 yet. I have been twice, and had planned to attend with my 59 Meteor this, but a terrible weather forecast thwarted that. The 2024 event is at the top of my list for next year, be great to have more 57-59 Fords there!

That is another very big dream.
we went to Beaver Springs 10 years back when there were the jalopy races held there. A very wonderful track.... but rain killed the event.I have heard and seen online the event and very much would like to attend .... and from my present location its about a 8 hour haul.I have no issues in driving that distance to go...I will keep my eye open for the dates for 2024 as well.

I really want to attend the Dawsonville Moonshine festival.... that is another show on my list.. but Dawsonville Georgia is a long haul.... 

Jeff Norwell

And now I plan to hit the second car over the winter... doesn't need very much, brakes bled and adjusted..... engine fired and set up. And of course some kind of interior with the glass.... All the hard stuff is done.... kinda... 
I will post progress on the other thread that is likely buried about 5 pages back.
ha ha