News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack

a little paint on the repaired areas. this is not even talking about paintwork, as I didn't use any filler on the panels. what pittings were there from cleaning up the metal are still visible. This is merely to give the car a solid color which is mandatory for our strict vehicle inspection. They frown apon obviously 'neglected' parts of car, which translates on rather not having primer on it. I know that you guys are probably having a good laugh out of that, but that's the way it is over here.
Good thing though I am using 2 component epoxy and acrylic paint only, so what is already there now, acts as filler and could be sanded down easily for future paintwork, requiring less plastic filler in critical areas. ( acrylic paint is plastic as a matter of fact... :003:)

I am totally happy with how the color turned out on dash and speaker grill. like the amount of metalic. it makes it look 1950s I think.

gasman826

bumpers for wall art are great.  They also make great shelves.   The bumper was original to my Custom and it toured 2009 Power Tour.  I wanted to keep it so it is now a shelf.

More wall art.

mustang6984

Nice idea for the bumpers. I have some extras that can't be used, but are sorta straight..well...severely bowed shall we say? They would be good wall art as well.
Did you get the note I sent you via p/m? May well be passing through your area again in the next month or so.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Limey57

Yep, also love the bumper idea, I've got a pair of Ranchero bumpers behind the garage, I'll dig them out next week.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ecode70D

Wow Günter !
    I've been out of touch for a few days and you sure did get a lot of work done.  The pieces look especially good with paint on them also.  For some of us, we at least have access to parts and pieces.  You are working with what you have and making what  you don't have. That is not always easy.
Jay 

djfordmanjack

love the bumper shelf ! I have some 57 Bumper leftovers as well....cool idea !

getting ready for reassembling things. put foam on the back of the dashpad trim to make up for the non existant pad thickness. hopefully no rattles. modern replacement speaker. trying carpet and. soldered a bridge to the og radio poti so the radio light is on all the time when the headlights are on. enjoying the looks of the cleaned up dash. this is what you are looking ALL THE TIME, when driving the car, so in my opinion, it is the most important piece on the whole car. I am having fun! :001:

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

junior58

Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Mavaholic

Good idea on the foam. I will have to remove mine and put some on.

RICH MUISE

Just a side note on the foam for the dash garnish rails. My dash originally was not padded. I added a 1/2 foam padding stiffened with 3 or 4 coats of liquid rubber under the vinyl dash covering. I also wrapped the garnish rails in vinyl. I was expecting all kinds of fitment problems when assembly time for the garnish rails came around. There were none at all. The 1/2" padding created no issues with the rails at all, so apparently they were designed to be universal for padded or non padded dashes.
There is a oem rubber gasket/pad ?? that goes under the rails that I did not install of course.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

the foam I added is high density but only 1/8 thick. I think it will do the job of keeping the trim from rattling. that can be pretty anoying on the dash. These trim pieces had no OEM rubber gasket that I know of. they were on top of the dash pad cover, that was glued around the leading edge of the metal dash. one can make out on the og paint, that they simply ran a sharp knife around the stainless, to trim excessive pad vinyl. the little trim clips are pretty cool in that they snap in firmly and go in easily.
If I can find a good brown dashpad I would think about putting it on, but for now it's ok looking.

djfordmanjack

Today we finally got from the slow process of the project, up to hypersonic speed, thanx to a busy little helper ! :002: And we did have some fun as well :003:

mustang6984

QUICK!!! Use him while he has NO idea that people get paid for doing this work! LOL!!!

Looks good!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Haha, my son is grown up when it comes to saving money. In all honesty he was asking me, if he did this paintwork for others and getting paid for it, if he had to report his income to the tax department.... :003:, he is 10 years old...... :002: