News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

2X   I love the sorting, fabricating and repairing things that folks have quit on.  Figuring out a problem and making it work is up there as well!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Limey57

And me. Replacing rusted metal with neat repairs that are invisible when finished is the best bit for me.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2017-02-08 12:44
It really does....like I said in an earlier post, it makes me almost want to do another car. I really miss the cutting and welding stuff.
Just stop by anytime...I got lots to do.  It's kinda like being a grandparent...when it's not fun anymore, just go home!

djfordmanjack

Guys, it really is fun to get going on the metal. I took out all the seats, no carpet, wound down all the door glass and masked all the other glass, dash and steering. The paint on the car is just drivers quality or less. so no regrets.  :003: I can let the spark fly wherever I want...
Gary ( Limey) I would love to once do my Del Rio undercarriage like you did the Ranchero. love it when they are clean like that.

There is a very simple solution on the rear footwells and it has nothing to do with 4dr or wagon or even frame swapping to foreign brands. I confess I simply did change that area to my likings. first it was easier to fabricate without having to build compound shapes and the way I built it with double layer seam it is much stronger as well. that's the area the rear folding seat will rest on its stand and I DO use and load my cars frequently and heavily.
I lost maybe 2" in width but saved at least 5 to 10 working hours. reason for the tapered shape is that the exhaust pipes are routed along the frame and the rearmost corner of the footwell has to clear the exhaust. Didn't want to go to the length of fabricating original shaped patches nor order EMS panels ( overseas shipping and customs/taxes will be more than the cost of the panels. I calculated approx $900 for the 2 rear pach panels. Now that's a good reason for loosing 2 inches of legroom).

RICH MUISE

That's why I'd never attempt to do a factory restoration.......it allows us to do what we want/is better for us, to modify things as we see fit. Kuddos!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Rich, I am very comfortable at the moment with repairing the wagon the way you just said. I was discussing that approach in length wiht Jay and he pointed out and made very clear, that if I was going to do a restoration like on the Del Rio, I would not be driving a 57 in another 10 years. We know how things get out of control as soon as we disassemble these cars. I was going back and forth several times and made up my mind to take this route. I know that some of you might not approve of that but I am not ruining the car.maybe it's just a temporary solution for the next 10 years. The floorboards needed replaced (were already cut by previous owner). They could be restored with factory correct patch panels anytime. I am very lucky that this car has all solid og rockers and fenderwells/quarters.
I like the look with dressed welds

Did a few more patches on the pssgr side and preparing for the RH rear footwell.

djfordmanjack

I am using 18 gauge automotive zinc plated sheetmetal, it is very stiff ( no tin can effect on rear footwell).

RICH MUISE

100% agree with what you're doing, as I'm sure most everybody else does here. These aren't Dusenburgs we're trying to get road worthy. Carry on, sir!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Thanx Rich, much appreciated. Tomorrow's just another day....(for welding and grinding) :003:

Wirenut

Very impressive metal work. I'm like Rich, I miss the metal work. Of all the work I did on the car I think the metal work was the most rewarding. Thanks for posting the photos, it's nice to be able to watch your progression.

djfordmanjack

Thank you !
I will keep posting progress pics as I go. With the Country Sedan I want to finish the welding and metal work asap, so I can put the interior back in and it will be a driver again by spring. There are enough little bodywork projects for later like tailgate, part of raingutters aso. For those of you who would like to tackle some more welding and fabricating, why don't you just get yourself a new project. There are SO MANY old cars outthere on Craigslist, Hemmings, ebay.... that need welding, most all of them. And you don't have to spend a fortune. Driving 1950s or 60s projects can still be found under 4k. If some of you wanted to do metal work as a hobby and not going to the length of restoring and spending all the time and money for the full car, why don't you just snag a $500 body and frame roller, fix that body with sheetmetal in the backyard and sell it on to somebody who will put the expensive finishing touches to it like paint, engine work, interior, seals. Just saying. It's never too late to start a new project. If some of you were concerned about running out of time, think about Gene Winfield who just finished his latest project (chopped Buick Wildcat) at 89years old. I am sure he is already going on the next one. :002:

mustang6984

LOL!!! Rich...since you are missing cutting and welding stuff...I have a suggestion for you...there is food involved...beer in the evening...and LOTS of cutting and welding...in a warm shop! On a Courier...in Port Angeles, WA... :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

I like it...it's sounding like this is going to be a driver...and once covered with mat and carpet...no one will know any different. Looks good...will be efficient...and ON THE ROAD! Where it belongs! Keep on with the great work! I think you're ding great!

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-02-08 16:35
I know that some of you might not approve of that but I am not ruining the car.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

There is a thought that we never really own anything...we are just the stewards or care givers of property.  Doing maintenance on your land or car is saving it for the next generation of stewardship.  My wagon floors has poorly formed patches pop riveted in place without removing the rust.  Forty years ago, this was a commonly accepted concept of temporary repair.  Today, we are armed with better and readily available metal working tools and support network.  Looking back on the temporary, pop rivet repairs are unacceptable and pretty sketchy, those repairs helped the Raunch Wagon continue as a daily driver and survive 60 years to go under the knife and upgrade the floor repairs to todays' standard.  Who knows, fifty years from now, someone will shake the head at my repairs as they setup their 3D printer and printer new OEM floors!  But, if I hadn't done my part as steward, the Raunch Wagon wouldn't survive for the next generation to have the opportunity to shake their head and share the joy we have experienced.  Whatever you do, right, wrong, rodding, or 'numbers matching', it can be undone and changed to the standard of the next steward.  You are preserving your project and giving the future steward a chance to make it their own.

Ford Blue blood

Golly Gary, didn't know you were such a philosopher!  Well said sir!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II